• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Bayonne to SJPP

bonafem

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances November (2014)
Hi there,

I am going to be traveling from Paris via Rideshare on May 1 and will arrive around 1pm. I'm hoping to get to SJPP later that day so I can start my Camino the next morning! Where can I find information about a train or bus to st jean? Or is hitchhiking possible/safe (I am a girl alone)?

Also does it make sense to go spend the night in SJPP or should I stay the night in Bayonne and travel early the next morning. Would I still be able to start my Camino the next day?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are several bus/train combined service trips per day from Bayonne train station to SJPdP. Look at the sncf.fr website for your day of travel.

It will be most convenient for you to spend your first night in SJPdP. I would not recommend hitchhiking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks very much! Do you know if there is a reduced service on Fridays? I'm only finding two departure times but many more on other days. But I guess it is ok to spend the afternoon/evening in Bayonne as long as I am still able to visit the pilgrim office to get credentials before starting out.

Oh just saw your response! Good to know the pilgrim office will still be open that late! And last questions - Do I need to by the train ticket in advance or is it the same to buy it day of?

The TER line 62 train/bus ticket from Bayonne to SJPdP is roughly 10 euros and CAN be bought at the rr station (Gare SNCF) the day you wish to use it.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there,

I am going to be traveling from Paris via Rideshare on May 1 and will arrive around 1pm. I'm hoping to get to SJPP later that day so I can start my Camino the next morning! Where can I find information about a train or bus to st jean? Or is hitchhiking possible/safe (I am a girl alone)?

Also does it make sense to go spend the night in SJPP or should I stay the night in Bayonne and travel early the next morning. Would I still be able to start my Camino the next day?
That was my plan until yesterday when I sow tips to travel to SJPP in youtube. Someone asked me in the forum before, why not take a local flight to Biarritz? I'm a first time traveler by myself and was concern about going trough to many train exchanges. To make the story short, I arrive at Paris airport at 0930 AM, the flight from easyJet ( cost me 71 euros) takes me to Biarritz in 1 1/2 hours, and it takes 9 minutes and 10 euros to arrive via local train to Bayonne, from there then the local train to SJPP. I hope this helps!:) Buen Camino Bonafem!

Thanks very much! Do you know if there is a reduced service on Fridays? I'm only finding two departure times but many more on other days. But I guess it is ok to spend the afternoon/evening in Bayonne as long as I am still able to visit the pilgrim office to get credentials before starting out.

I get 4 departures on 1 May.

SNCF TER Aquitaine
https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

SNCF sites have been unreliable when looking for information the first weeks of May.

Perfect, thanks so much! I think when I arrive in Bayonne I will just head to the train station and get the ticket for the next train! As long as I know there is at least one :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back