• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Complete Pack List for May-June (SJPdP-Santiago) - With Brands and Make

F

Former member 32445

Dear Pilgrims,

Firstly, thanks to this site, the information and the warmth and help of the people on it.
I fly to Biarritz 30th April, Staying at Errecaldia on the 30th April and commence 1st May, stopping at Orisson the first day (I know that's another thread in itself! :) )
I wanted to post my 'kit' along with brand names and makes, there is lots of help with what to take on here but then finding the brand and type is the next step. I am yet to walk so what I have detailed below may well be completely inadequate so would welcome the experience of those that have going before and what they think.
Most of the clothing is what I use for running/fitness anyway so am taking what I have already and what I feel comfortable in but really look forward to all your thoughts :)

Lowe Alpine AirZone 45:55 Ltr
Euro Hiker Water Bottles 700ml x 2
Vango Planet 100 2 Season Season Sleeping Bag
Poly Cotton Sleeping Bag Liner (Mountain Warehouse)
Single Sheet (Over Mattress) and Pillow Case (May swap this for Arab Scarf instead)

The North Face Tempest Mid Gortex Boots
Bridgedale Light Hiker x 5
Coolmax Sock Liners x 4
Berghaus AQ2 Jacket
Berghaus Deluxe AQ2 Waterproof Over Trousers
Berghaus Spectrum II Fleece
Knitted Hat (Cold Mornings!)
Gloves - UA
Sun Hat - TBC - Been thinking 'Foreign Legion Stylie!'

Nike Pro Combat DRI FIT Compression T-Shirts x 4
Nike DRI-FIT Shorts x 4
UA Cold Gear Infared Long Sleeved Top
Nike Element H2 DRI-FIT Long Sleeved Top
Nike Winger Warm Up Jacket
Nike Running Tights DRI-FIT x 2 (Under Shorts - Cold/Windy/Wet Days)

Evening Change - Lightweight Sweat Pants and Cotton T-Shirt
iPANEMA Flip Flops - Shower Use and Afternoon/Evening Footwear

First Aid Kit:
Compeed Plasters
Needle and Thread
Antiseptic Spray
Waterproof Plasters
Anti - Histamines
Tweezers and Scissors
Ibubrofen
Baby Wipes
Crepe and Adhesive Bandages
Isostar Tablets
Vicks Vaporub - For Feet

Wash Bag:
Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Hair Brush!
Stick Deodrant
Shampoo/Body Soap/Wash
Micro Towel-Giant - Mountain Warehouse

Other 'Stuff':
Climo Head Torch
Safety Pins
Clothes Wash - Although this may be included with Body Soap Wash!
Go Travel Double Adaptor Plug
Ear Plugs - For Sleeps!!!
Sun Cream

Passport
EHIC Card
Credit Cards / Cash
Journal
Credential
My ESV Travel Bible
Brierley Guide
Printed Out's of all Documents - Flight / Bookings / Travel Insurance Etc...
All in Shoulder Bag - Handy for Plane and Walking Around Town

Well! I think that will do!

I know there maybe some comments on Hiking Trousers / Zip off Trousers, I decided on the Shorts and Running Tights Under (If Required) but also welcome thoughts on this and if this really is an unwise choice!

I look forward to seeing the thoughts and feedback :)

Blessings
Blu

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dear Pilgrims,

Firstly, thanks to this site, the information and the warmth and help of the people on it.
I fly to Biarritz 30th April, Staying at Errecaldia on the 30th April and commence 1st May, stopping at Orisson the first day (I know that's another thread in itself! :) )
I wanted to post my 'kit' along with brand names and makes, there is lots of help with what to take on here but then finding the brand and type is the next step. I am yet to walk so what I have detailed below may well be completely inadequate so would welcome the experience of those that have going before and what they think.
Most of the clothing is what I use for running/fitness anyway so am taking what I have already and what I feel comfortable in but really look forward to all your thoughts :)

Single Sheet (Over Mattress) and Pillow Case (May swap this for Arab Scarf instead)

Bridgedale Light Hiker x 5
Coolmax Sock Liners x 4
Berghaus AQ2 Jacket
Berghaus Deluxe AQ2 Waterproof Over Trousers
Gloves - UA
Sun Hat - TBC - Been thinking 'Foreign Legion Stylie!'

Nike Pro Combat DRI FIT Compression T-Shirts x 4
Nike DRI-FIT Shorts x 4
Nike Running Tights DRI-FIT x 2 (Under Shorts - Cold/Windy/Wet Days)

Evening Change - Lightweight Sweat Pants and Cotton T-Shirt
iPANEMA Flip Flops - Shower Use and Afternoon/Evening Footwear

First Aid Kit:
Compeed Plasters
Needle and Thread
Antiseptic Spray
Waterproof Plasters
Anti - Histamines
Tweezers and Scissors
Ibubrofen
Baby Wipes
Isostar Tablets
Vicks Vaporub - For Feet

Wash Bag:
Hair Brush!
Stick Deodrant
Shampoo/Body Soap/Wash

Other 'Stuff':
Climo Head Torch
Safety Pins
Sun Cream

Passport
EHIC Card
Credit Cards / Cash
Journal
Credential
My ESV Travel Bible
Brierley Guide

I know there maybe some comments on Hiking Trousers / Zip off Trousers, I decided on the Shorts and Running Tights Under (If Required) but also welcome thoughts on this and if this really is an unwise choice!

Blessings
Blu

It's a one person list? If it is, I think that it is too much. Consider that every gram counts and 500g extra today, are 5kg at the end of 10 days. 9 pairs of socks are overkill in my opinion, and I think that 3 t-shirts are enough. You can take only 2, because you are also taking one with long sleeves.

How much does your backpack weights? Does it include filled water bottles and fruit/food?

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Blu,

My thoughts are:

Given the time of year, it seems to me you have a good mix of gear. (I guess some will say too much though;)).

At first I thought..........maybe more socks than you might need, but personal experience of goretex boots says no.

Are you sure you need so many tops and shorts? Wear one, wash one might cut down your thoughts on how many you really need.

Other than that my friend, if you can carry it, take it is what I say.

By the way, 2 x full 700 ml bottles will work out at just over 2lbs. We are told there plenty of places to either fill-up or buy on the route, so maybe one would be enough?

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree about too many shirts and socks.
I worked on basis of wear one day, wear one evening, one ready for next day (so not dependent on today's drying by morning)
My evening one was long sleeve while day ones were short sleeve.
Long sleeve got washed once a week, and day ones each day they were worn (sweat a lot ! )
This was all I needed.

I would def take 2x water bottles.
There are regular places for water within reason, but also there are stretches where the distance between is way more than 700ml worth ! Eg if you were to take just one.

Just my thoughts - buen camino !

Tim

not nearly enough kitchen sinks!

I too would divide the clothes in half.
the bottles water is sold in sold in are fine, light tough bottles

Euro Hiker Water Bottles 700ml x 2 Change for one 1 liter bottle. Lots of people reuse bottles from purchased water.
Single Sheet (Over Mattress) Not needed. Beds at albergues already have a protective sheet or you are issued with a disposable one on check in
and Pillow Case (May swap this for Arab Scarf instead)

Bridgedale Light Hiker x 5 3 should suffice. You can wear them for two or more days depending on how much your feet sweat. Turn 'em inside out.
Coolmax Sock Liners x 4 You shouldn't need sock liners. Get socks that fit or boots that fit so you don't need liners.
Berghaus AQ2 Jacket
Berghaus Deluxe AQ2 Waterproof Over Trousers rain pants are not needed particularly if you wear shorts
Gloves - UA Get light ragknit wool gloves and a scarf
Sun Hat - TBC - Been thinking 'Foreign Legion Stylie!' I like 'foreign legion style'

Nike Pro Combat DRI FIT Compression T-Shirts x 4 1 t shirt for sleep wear
Nike DRI-FIT Shorts x 4 One pair shorts for day use. one long for evening wear
Nike Element H2 DRI-FIT Long Sleeved Top 2 long sleeve shirts - one for evening wear
Nike Winger Warm Up Jacket This is third cold weather item. 2 light fleece jackets or one fleece and one down fill should suffice. You generate a lot of heat when you walk.
Nike Running Tights DRI-FIT x 2 (Under Shorts - Cold/Windy/Wet Days) Not needed. I wore mine under shorts one day when it was snowing and it was too warm.
Evening Change - Lightweight Sweat Pants and Cotton T-Shirt Sweats are heavy ... carry a second light weight long pant for spare instead
iPANEMA Flip Flops - Shower Use and Afternoon/Evening Footwear I would suggest croc style clogs for shower and in albergue. Wear your boots for out of albergue.

plus something to wear while doing laundry

First Aid Kit:
Compeed Plasters
Needle and Thread
Antiseptic Spray heavy item
Waterproof Plasters you also have adhesive bandages ... carry one or the other
Anti - Histamines
Tweezers and Scissors
Ibubrofen
Baby Wipes
Isostar Tablets
Vicks Vaporub - For Feet You can buy one ounce (100ml?) tubs of vaseline that last for a week.

Wash Bag:
Hair Brush!
Stick Deodrant
Shampoo/Body Soap/Wash

Other 'Stuff':
Climo Head Torch
Safety Pins
Clothes Wash - Although this may be included with Body Soap Wash! Usually you dont get to wash (the owner does it for you) or if you do the washer is equipped with soap dispenser that is included in the price of using the washer
Sun Cream

Passport
EHIC Card
Credit Cards / Cash
Journal
Credential
My ESV Travel Bible
Brierley Guide
Printed Out's of all Documents - Flight / Bookings / Travel Insurance Etc... get yahoo e-mail account and send non-essential stuff to yourself for access when needed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@whariwharangi, but the Vaseline do not give you that good mint odor to your feet :D

Vaseline in my feet ended up not doing nothing. I'm going to try Vicks Vaporub, a lot of people talk about using it, even my grandmother uses it in her feetm when she does the Caminho de Fatima.

Best Regards
Diogo

Dear Pilgrims,

This is where you'll see different people's approaches;) No right or wrong one, different things work for different people

Single Sheet (Over Mattress) and Pillow Case (May swap this for Arab Scarf instead) I'd skip the single sheet, and go with the scarf, which can double up as a towel (not woven as tight, dry quicker)

Bridgedale Light Hiker x 5 2 or 3 pairs should do it
Coolmax Sock Liners x 4 they are light, you can get away with 4
Berghaus AQ2 Jacket
Berghaus Deluxe AQ2 Waterproof Over Trousers Personally I would not bother, see below *
Knitted Hat (Cold Mornings!) good idea:)
Gloves - UA
Sun Hat - TBC - Been thinking 'Foreign Legion Stylie!' Maybe... I find a bandana is great, dip in a water through if it's hot, can cover my mouth if it's dusty

* I prefer a rain poncho (not all do)... Does not matter how good your rain coat is, or your pack cover. 2 weeks with rain will make the straps on your backpack reek. I cannot stand the poncho flapping, though, so use folder/paper clips and/or "suspender" clips to fasten it down. Then I wear shorts or knee length underneath. It's easy to clean your calf's with water! Muddy trouser, even waterproof ones, are a pain. Or I put woolen long johns on underneath shorts if it is cold. Wool keeps warmth when cold, mud sticks, which means you won't leave a trail in cafe's and refugio's. It's also easy to wash, and dries reasonably well. - And if it's not totally dry in the morning it will still offer warmth

Nike Pro Combat DRI FIT Compression T-Shirts x 4 2 Should be enough, max 3. Otherwise you just end up avoiding laundry, and carry more "just because"
Nike DRI-FIT Shorts x 4 Depends - tight boxer style, 2-3, if it's the loose sports style, max 2
Nike Running Tights DRI-FIT x 2 (Under Shorts - Cold/Windy/Wet Days) 1 at most, personally I think you're better off getting woolen long johns. Wool keeps you warm when wet, plastic does not.

Evening Change - Lightweight Sweat Pants and Cotton T-Shirt Wear the T-shirt you intend to walk in the next day. Or bring a lightweight cotton/wool/linen shirt that you'd feel comfortable wearing in "Real Life". You might go out in the evening. It's nice to feel that one has "dressed up", and still be sensible and have multi use
iPANEMA Flip Flops - Shower Use and Afternoon/Evening Footwear Always "protect your feet" in the showers

First Aid Kit: Covers most things - I would consider Tiger Balm/Tea Tree Oil/Manuka Oil. Bugs seem to hate them, they are anti-bacterial. I always bring a couple of re-hydration sachets, and put them in my water if I know it will be a long/hot walk. Sweets - I always carry mints/lollies/boiled sweets or something similar. Things go wrong, you might need that little bit of sugar at the end of the day, or someone you meet might. Low weight, lots of benefits
Compeed Plasters
Needle and Thread
Antiseptic Spray
Waterproof Plasters
Anti - Histamines
Tweezers and Scissors
Ibubrofen
Baby Wipes
Isostar Tablets
Vicks Vaporub - For Feet

Wash Bag:
Hair Brush! Would rather carry extra sweets...
Stick Deodrant Should not be needed if you wash, and you wash your clothes (It is a security blanket for some, though)
Shampoo/Body Soap/Wash People are different. I generally go for a bar of shampoo/soap from Lush. Choose one with anti bacterial properties; that becomes my soap, shampoo, laundry detergent
Micro Towel-Giant - Mountain Warehouse The large micro towels take a long time to dry.. I'd rather go for the scarf above, or 2 small towels

Other 'Stuff':
Climo Head Torch
Safety Pins
Sun Cream

Passport
EHIC Card
Credit Cards / Cash
Journal
Credential
My ESV Travel Bible
Brierley Guide

Blessings
Blu

Buen Camino:)

Thank you everyone so far for the replies and advice, I expected the comments on too much which is fine as I can scale down, at least I have not had a lot of comments about 'stuff' I am not taking which was the point :)
Didn't realise you got a disposable bed sheet, which is great news and also the washing situation, I thought you had to wash your clothes?!
Great feedback guys, much love :)
Blessings
Blu

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you everyone so far for the replies and advice, I expected the comments on too much which is fine as I can scale down, at least I have not had a lot of comments about 'stuff' I am not taking which was the point :)
Didn't realise you got a disposable bed sheet, which is great news and also the washing situation, I thought you had to wash your clothes?!
Great feedback guys, much love :)
Blessings
Blu

Sometimes you wash them, sometimes there are people who wash them :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Tip : In SJPP, go in the Pilgrim shop. Buy some Clako (http://www.clako-punaises.com/fr/). It is a french spray against bed bugs, mosquitos, etc. Totally bio... then a little expensive (13€) but honestly, your mind will be free and to me, it's priceless... :)
Buen Camino (ou Bon Chemin in french)

Tip : In SJPP, go in the Pilgrim shop. Buy some Clako (http://www.clako-punaises.com/fr/). It is a french spray against bed bugs, mosquitos, etc. Totally bio... then a little expensive (13€) but honestly, your mind will be free and to me, it's priceless... :)
Buen Camino (ou Bon Chemin in french)

Oh my goodness. The first I've heard of this. Love that it is totally bio. I've been reading a lot on this forum about spraying my gear with Permethrin and decided I will not be using it. But this product looks perfect. I have encountere bed bugs in the past. For me personally it's been more psychological trauma than anything else. I don't mind spending the money for peace of mind. Thanks for the suggestion.
Antonio.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm, well, "totally bio" depends on how you figure it. The only info I've been able to find says that" il s’agit d’un biocide classé TP 18. L’extrait de chrysanthème", which sounds like good old pyrethrum to me. Up to you how far you consider that "bio". Not saying it isn't a good product--the French are crazy about it, but there's natural and there's natural.

To me Claco seemed to be the same as the permethrin I buy in Norway. I have sprayed my sleepingbag and backpack with both.

Seeing different packing lists always makes me think that I must have left out something! Ha ha ha! I have attached my packing list below. There are a few things that I haven't gotten yet...water bottle, pillow case/sarong (I haven't decided), blister care (couldn't find ANYTHING at Target today...all well, try again a different day). Also, I didn't include the clothes I will be wearing. If I am doing this right then I should be carrying less than 15 pounds WITH water and food.
Screen shot 2014-03-27 at 6.16.58 PM.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since others have responded to the OP, I thought I would respond to Godslambs’s post.

I see you have not decided yet on a pillow case. There are many on the forum, (and I would be one) who would say that if your sleeping system has either a hood that covers or a pouch that the pillow fits into, you really don’t need this. However, for my second camino my sleeping bag was a Yeti VIB 150 (420 grams) and it did not have a hood (I always get tangled up in hoods). So I needed a cover for the pillow. I took a stretchy infinity scarf that weighed about 175 gms. It was soft and cozy and stretched to cover any size of pillow I came across. I loved it, and to me it was worth the weight.

I have just a few other comments on your list. Re the drain cover: you might be able to get something lighter or go without it. The first time I went I took a drain cover (30 grams), the second time I didn’t bother and just stuffed a sock in the drain on occasion if needed.

Your towel is a large size. I took a large microfibre towel (100 grams) the first time I went and small size (30 grams) the second time, and just blotted the excess water off with my dirty clothes which I was going to wash. It worked fine and I would take the small again.

You have a light jacket mentioned on your clothing side list but not on your spreadsheet itself (?) Are you planning to wear it all the time – what time of year are you going? Also, I don’t see a fleece mentioned. A light fleece is only about 200 grams and I feel it is a very worthwhile piece of kit.

Just my two cents, hope it’s helpful.

Last edited:
This is really great! I am starting my first camino in 3 weeks and was wondering what kind and brand of underwear for women to avoid chaffing?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Caminos have been May/June or Sept/Oct. Cold to cool to hot, all in one day and a little rain to lots of rain as I get closer of Santiago. My kit is, 3 pair
exeffico under ware, 3 pair wigwam wool socks, 2 short and 1 long sleeve under shirt, 2 pair zip off pants, 2 long sleeve button up shirts, 1 long john bottom, 1 fleece, 1 waterproof windbreaker, 1 zip up poncho, and 1 light weight vest. With the exception of the socks everything is a light weight, quick dry synthetic. I carry a small 3 season sleeping bag, liner, and folding trekking poles. My toiletries are 1 medium synthetic towel, a bar of soap, pit stick, toothpaste, tooth brush, and crocks. I also carry a camera, tablet, phone, cords, adapter, and back up charger. For first aid I carry band aids, triple antibiotic cream, HC cream, mole shin, small ace wrap, and Qtips to apply ointments. It all fits in a 45 Osprey Talon pack. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back