• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

13weeks to go and nervous questions

DeniseT

Time of past OR future Camino
Future:) 01 Jun 2017 SJPDP
ok
So fly into Biarritz 29th may , my plan is to detour to the beaches here and have a good dip after a long flight from Australia, then SOMEHOW leave Biarritz around 5pm and SOMEHOW get to SJPDP and stay for two nights , anyone recommend a awesome accomadation ( strong culture vibe and last luxuries ) traveling by my self.
Meet up with friends and we leave SJPDP 1st June for our 40 day stroll.
Another couple questions
1. Do i need waters purifier tablets if drinking town water.
2. Still debating what clothes I take I only plan two sets, and a dinner sarong !!!
3. What Trpe of heat is Spain's ours in summer can be over thirty degrees with crappy humidity, will June walking be similiar???
4. I am trying to work with packing 6kilos , will a 1 litre camel bladder be enough for, essentials only, but what is essentials. I bought a tarp poncho sea to summit but was peeved to find out there is lighter ones rrrr
See starting to get nervous, I am bigger mature lass, and walking walking walking, core work, have knees and back issues so my Nordiac poles been amazing support.
"Bill and Ben the power pole men " will be my massive support aboviously not walking the Nordiac way on the walk ,
Should I change poles????
Way to many questions

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The water is fine without purification.
Two sets of clothes works well.
Hot AND humid at times.
Poncho is a matter of taste. Sea to Summit is as light as they come.
True Nordic poles may not be a good choice.

Number 1 is a definite no
Number 2, 2 sets of clothes means a lot of washing; some days you may want to where more than one set; I would highly advise at least one more set
Another reason for extra clothes is the humidity
6 kilos will be a minimalist approach; I think that is easier for the experienced hikers/walkers - I would figure out what is reasonable starting with 3 outfits. Sea to Summit make good products.
Did not use poles so no input
Have a great time!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Instead of rushing to SJPDP, why not spend a night in Biarritz?
I walked in some pretty hot weather last August - 35c, but it wasn't humid. I don't think that northern Spain is known for humidity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. Do i need waters purifier tablets if drinking town water.
2. Still debating what clothes I take I only plan two sets, and a dinner sarong !!!
3. What Trpe of heat is Spain's ours in summer can be over thirty degrees with crappy humidity, will June walking be similiar???
4. I am trying to work with packing 6kilos , will a 1 litre camel bladder be enough for, essentials only, but what is essentials. I bought a tarp poncho sea to summit but was peeved to find out there is lighter ones rrrr
1. No water purifying needed.
2. Don't take "2 sets" except for underwear and socks (in summer, wear one and wash/dry one). Everything else should be layers that you combine for different conditions, and can select one shirt and pants to wear while your laundry is drying.
3. Heat. I can't help on that.
4. 6 kg should be plenty. Essentials are: shoes, socks, walking layers, something to keep you warm in the evenings when you wash your walking clothes, rain gear, bedding could be lightweight sleeping bag or liner in the summer.

Heat and humidity in June is highly unlikely and by the end of your 40+ days you will have arrived in the cool environs of Galacia.
Besides Petit Hotel there is an albergue not very far from the Biarritz Gare that caters to lots of the surfing crowd. It is convenient to shops and transportation not very far off the southern beaches.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Heat and humidity in June is highly unlikely and by the end of your 40+ days you will have arrived in the cool environs of Galacia.
Besides Petit Hotel there is an albergue not very far from the Biarritz Gare that caters to lots of the surfing crowd. It is convenient to shops and transportation not very far off the southern beaches.

You can take Don's input "to the bank." He has a small flat in Biarritz, and lived there for several years. The flat is rented out. Don is presently "pet sitting" in a small village on the Meseta for a friend. But, he is an expert on Biarritz.

There are several great ideas above, but Gerard and Don's inputs are worth considering. Biarritz proper is a bit high-end, but it is a bus ride from the train station (gate) in Bayonne or the next stop on the line from Bayonne.

The Biarritz public beaches are nice and there are usually a fair number of surfers there. The surf here attracts a surfer sub-culture similar to that in OZ or other surfing locales around the world.

BTW, and this addresses your other post, virtually the entire local train (TER #62) from Bayonne to St. Jean will be filled with pilgrims starting out. Just pick someone out along the way and start to build your "Camino family."

I hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back