• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to land and transfer to Roncesvalles

Makaala

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
We will be starting our journey from Roncesvalles and need to know which airport to land in and how to get to Roncesvalles, by train or plane after we land. We are looking at landing in Barcelona but would love some recommendations. Thank-you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your home is Hawaii, so we can assume that is where you are coming from. If you want to start from Roncesvalles (rather than Saint Jean Pied de Port, which is in France), you need an airport in Spain with good intercontinental connections. That would mean Barcelona or Madrid, whichever is cheaper and/or easier for you to fly to. Roncesvalles would be easy to reach from either of those two cities: one bus or train to the town of Pamplona, then a bus to Roncesvalles. Spain has good inter-city public transport, rome2rio has already been mentioned as a good website for bus or train. Hope this is helpful. Buen camino.

For our third Camino Frances in Sept-Oct, 2021, we flew from the US to Barcelona. spent a day there and enjoyed seeing some key sites, and a nice meal. The next day we took a train from Barcelona to Pamplona, spent a day/overnight there, then took a taxi to St Jean, since there were limited bus options. On our two previous CFs, we took a bus from Pamplona to St Jean. The bus stops at Roncesvalles, so you can get off there. After we completed CF3, we flew from Santiago to Barcelona and spent two nights there, hiking Las Ramblas, touring La Sagrada Familia, visiting the huge central market. Bob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will get loads of recommendations but first you need to tell us more where you are arriving from and about what time of day.
The first place to plan this trip is to consult Rome2Rio.
Aloha. I will be travelling from Hawaii Island through Florida where I meet my companion. We will arrive in Barcelona by noon the last week of August 2024, but will probably stay one night before leaving for Roncesvalles. Mahalo for any help and we will also check Rome2Rio.

If you are flying from Florida, there are flights from Miami to Bilbao.

I know many people on this site use Rome2Rio, but I would also recommend using the Directions tool on Google maps, which I have always found helpful and up-to-date for all forms of public transport, and especially useful for rural bus lines.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know many people on this site use Rome2Rio, but I would also recommend using the Directions tool on Google maps, which I have always found helpful and up-to-date for all forms of public transport, and especially useful for rural bus lines.
I use a combination, but mostly Google Maps.

From Pamplona you either taxi or bus to Roncesvalles. There is a taxi service that attempts to lower costs for you by sharing the ride with other pilgrims.

The bus line to take is Autocares Artieda which has daily service to Roncesvalles M-F 13:30, Sat 16:00 but nothing on Sundays or holidays. Buses leave from the main bus station.

ALSA has Pamplona to SJPdP bus service but it is my understanding that although they will pickup in Roncesvalles they will not drop off (their license is for international service only). ALSA's schedule is not likely available until sometime in February. Their service has started mid_March in the past.

There is frequent city bus service (line 9) from Pamplona's train station to a point near the bus station. That station is at the NE corner of a park and is a low glass entrance building with the station facilities underground.

Line 9 (once there click the Renfe-University linked box to the left of the University-Renfe box):

Train station:

Bus station:

Last edited:
Aloha. I will be travelling from Hawaii Island through Florida where I meet my companion. We will arrive in Barcelona by noon the last week of August 2024, but will probably stay one night before leaving for Roncesvalles. Mahalo for any help and we will also check Rome2Rio.
From the US, I have always arrived early in the AM and found that the train from Madrid to Pamplona is faster/easier that the train from Barcelona to Pamplona.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always end up taking a taxi from Pamplona to SJPdP. It cost me about 100 euros last time, I literally just waved one down on the side of the street near my hotel. The bus never seems to be running when I get there... (probably poor planning on my part.) One time, however, I arrived at the train station in Pamplona and hunted down other people with backpacks. We ended up sharing a taxi and it ended costing each of us about 35 euros.

I do not know your age, but if you are +60, you can get a 25% discount on all train travel in Spein for 12 months, for only 6 €. Train travel in Spain is cheap, anyway, and a great way to travel.

Going to Pamplona, Madrid or Barcelona are your best bets. From Barcelona there are +20 train departures to Pamplona per day from the Sants station. It is a really nice some 5h ride where you can enjoy the Spanish landscapes, have a toast/vino in the restaurant wagon, arrive in Pamploan early afternoon/evening, take a taxi/bus to Roncesvalles, and start walking the next day.

Alternatively, take the night in Barcelona/Pamplona and get rid of the jet lag, and continue next morning.

Last edited:
The Barcelona-Pamplona train may have assigned seats. Request seats on the right (starboard) side when purchasing. The scenery is nicer; there are distant mountain views.
To the right = "A derecha" in Spanish. But there are nice views all the way,

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mahalo, will do. the right side...a derecho
For fun let's make it complicated.
  • Sigue derecho - continue going straight
  • El lado derecho - the right side
  • El ojo derecho - the right eye
  • La oreja derecha - the right ear
  • Gira a la derecha - turn to the right

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back