• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

19 Years and want to walk the Camino

Thommy T

Time of past OR future Camino
My dream is to walk the Camino this summer
Dear all,

I am a 19 year old student from The Netherlands. A couple of weeks ago I found an article about the Camino de Santiago and I became really interested about it. I found a second job on the side to be able to pay for the trip, I am looking to buy the equipment and I am getting to know all there is to know about the route. It really Fascinates me. The only problem is convincing my parents, they absolutely disagree with me going there because they are 100% sure that I do not have the physical strenght to walk let's say 500 km. I disagreed with them and said I think i will be able to do this. I have been excercising and playing sports all my life and I have played squash for 2 years know (2-3 times a week). I want to go in July so I can still start walking 3 times a week next to playing squash to prepare myself more. My QUESTION to you is do you think I can physically handle the route? (since I am fit but defenitly not an experienced walker)

I would love to hear from you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear all,

I am a 19 year old student from The Netherlands. A couple of weeks ago I found an article about the Camino de Santiago and I became really interested about it. I found a second job on the side to be able to pay for the trip, I am looking to buy the equipment and I am getting to know all there is to know about the route. It really Fascinates me. The only problem is convincing my parents, they absolutely disagree with me going there because they are 100% sure that I do not have the physical strenght to walk let's say 500 km. I disagreed with them and said I think i will be able to do this. I have been excercising and playing sports all my life and I have played squash for 2 years know (2-3 times a week). I want to go in July so I can still start walking 3 times a week next to playing squash to prepare myself more. My QUESTION to you is do you think I can physically handle the route? (since I am fit but defenitly not an experienced walker)

There are MANY people who are over 60 and walking the route. There are people with chronic health issues walking the Camino. There is no predetermined distance that you must walk each day. Especially on the Frances route there are numerous albergues all along the way, so you can stop when you're tired. There also is no predetermined period of time that you must complete the Camino within. Almost anyone can "design" a Camino which fits their abilities. I am 55, have done no training and start next week. No, I won't be going 30 miles every day and I won't finish the SJPP to Santiago in 30 days, but I'm fine with that. You're young, healthy and fit. You'll have a wonderful time whenever you decide to do the Camino. It will be a lot nicer for you and your parents if you can come to an agreement. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino is not a top end athletic competion. There are pilgrims who have done it being 70 years old or more, with chronic diseases, even in wheelchairs. And so far, this year, 22% have been students, which I suppose means people more or less your age. Maybe you can show this webpage to your parents http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/ (sorry, in Spanish) And, unless you decide to walk in the middle of winter, there are many, many people doing the Camino, it is well signposted, there are plenty of albergues, and internet access almost all the way. My son did it when he was 24 yrs old, and he had a great experience, meeting young people from many countries and cultures (actually, it is a very good place for trying your linguistic abilities). No reason, really, to be worried.
Btw, there is a Dutch association, https://www.santiago.nl/. And I believe there are Dutch "hospitaleros" in Roncesvalles.
Let me be the first to say you...
Buen camino!

Nineteen? Ummm, yeah, you can walk the Camino. No problem.
When I was nineteen I think I could have walked it hung-over every morning, after having drank wine or beer and chased after young ladies all night.
No substitute for youth, dude.
Nineteen? Heck, I wish I was twice that age again.
:D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take heart. Parents can be like that - I know, I am one! You aren't walking 800km, you are walking 25km a day for 32 days. Not an insignificant challenge, but taken at the right pace, well within most peoples ability. Or walk 20km a day over 40 days. What you will need is the mental toughness to get up each and every morning for those 30 to 40 days, get dressed, and get on the road again. There will be days when that is easy, others when it is extremely difficult.

Get a feel for what this is like in your training. Get up and walk for an hour or so every morning for a month. If you fail, reset the counter and start again. If you can do that for a month, you will have some appreciation of what it will be like, and be better prepared. And if you can do that for an hour or so every day, you will be in better physical shape as well.

Regards,

Last edited:
Dear all,

My QUESTION to you is do you think I can physically handle the route? (since I am fit but defenitly not an experienced walker)

Easily. And you are a walker - as someone else on this forum pointed out - you have been training for the Camino since you were a toddler! It is just a walk.

Show your parents the statistics of people who walk and where they walk from, including their ages - on this site http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/

Of all the amazing Camino stories from my own knowledge, I think the most inspiring is the girl I met, in her late twenties, who walked with her husband all the way from her home in the UK, through France and onto Santiago, despite having suffered a bone shattering fall five years before. I can't remember the details but she had fallen from quite a height and landed upright. On impact her leg bones (both legs) had concertinaed and crumpled. She was told she would never walk again. She had multiple operations and eventually did walk, albeit with gait problems. She and her husband were specifically walking the Camino all the way in celebration and thanks that she could walk. She said that being able to walk is the most amazing gift, a gift we take absolutely for granted until it is taken away.

You are in the Netherlands so comparatively close (from the Australian perspective). You could suggest a little family excursion to the south of France and St-Jean-Pied-de-Port so your parents can see for themselves. Or maybe try to persuade one of them to walk at least a little of the beginning of the way with you.

They love you and are naturally concerned for you, but every swallow leaves the nest sometime.

Dear all,

How many days to do have to do the Camino? You can do it in stages or do just the last part of it if the whole Frances is too long. Also, you can do other Caminos such as the Portuguese Camino or the Camino Ingles. The Camino Portuguese may be better for a beginner. Just keep in mind that they all have hills, some higher than others. I think you can do it if you plan wisely. I did my first Camino when I was 50 and out of shape, but I trained for a few months before, and I finished the Camino Portugese from the Portugese border to Santiago. This year I am going with my 11-year-old niece. I think you can do it.

My husband walked the Portuguese after a cancer operation that nearly took his life, chemo and radiation, and he led the way all the way to Santiago.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear all,

You can do it! My parents feel the same way, I am 23 and haven't been able to do cardio of any sort since I was in high school because of the discovery of a heart condition. I leave for my Camino on the 19th, and truth be told, haven't prepared at all, instead I look forward to struggle. I know my limits and I know this trip is what I am supposed to do. I have never been so clear about anything in my life. You wouldn't be so taken if you weren't meant to go. Good luck! Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
my son walked the camino when he was 19 - definitely possible!

buen camino

I am a 19 year old student from The Netherlands. . My QUESTION to you is do you think I can physically handle the route?

Hi Thommy
I know your question is asking whether you can physically handle the route / and of course, the answer is Yes

But are you sure that's why your parents are hesitant ?

Being a parent, is it more likely they will worry about you travelling alone in Spain?

To this - I can tell you that you will be part of a group of kind, caring pilgrims, all of whom will try to help /guide, you along and from whom you will learn many lessons
Also I'm sure you will be great company for them. !!
I'm sure your parents will find you return a lot more tolerant and understanding of others. (If you aren't already ).
I doubt you will meet anyone that will steer you in the wrong direction.

Sorry to change your question, but I immediately thought of your parents concerns

Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back