• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Camino! (partial)

HSkogerson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2018)
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit intimidated as I've enjoyed, so much, reading what others have to say about their journey(s). To me you all seem a little like superstars. That said, me and my family...husband and two boys ages 15 and 12...will be doing a partial Camino as we only have about 2 weeks to complete it. In the beginning, we chose the del Norte hoping for a little more challenge and variety for the boys and to also do a little along the coast before we cut down toward the Francés. I'd love to get any feedback or suggestions for this route or other routes you think might be a better choice. Thank you so much in advance!
Warm Regards,
Heather

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit intimidated as I've enjoyed, so much, reading what others have to say about their journey(s). To me you all seem a little like superstars. That said, me and my family...husband and two boys ages 15 and 12...will be doing a partial Camino as we only have about 2 weeks to complete it. In the beginning, we chose the del Norte hoping for a little more challenge and variety for the boys and to also do a little along the coast before we cut down toward the Francés. I'd love to get any feedback or suggestions for this route or other routes you think might be a better choice. Thank you so much in advance!
Warm Regards,
Heather
Hola @HSkogerson , welcome to the forum. No we are none of us superstars, just a bunch of ordinary pilgrims who are more than a little nuts about walking various routes across Spain/Portugal/France. Your route choice is up to you and if your aim is more to experience the Camino rather than reaching Santiago and receiving a Compostela then you can walk part of the Frances; part of the Norte its all a matter of choice. If you are aiming for a Compostela then remember that you need to walk the last 100km into Santiago and be sure to get at least two stamps per day in your credentials. Buen Camino!!:cool:

If you have 2 weeks then you could also walk the Portuguese way from Porto. You can go along the coast from Porto, then it joins the central way in Redondela. The route is popular, the landscapes are beautiul, there are some interesting towns and villages on the way, food is great, and meeting people on the Camino is probably the best. It's definitely easier on the feet then the North way. For the first Camino could be great. Bom Caminho whatever way you choose! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For simplicity sake I would suggest that a part of the Frances would be the best option as the choices to stay, places to eat and directions are plentiful.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses! I appreciate them so much!! It gives my much to think about...
Warm regards,
Heather

If you have 2 weeks then you could also walk the Portuguese way from Porto. You can go along the coast from Porto, then it joins the central way in Redondela. The route is popular, the landscapes are beautiul, there are some interesting towns and villages on the way, food is great, and meeting people on the Camino is probably the best. It's definitely easier on the feet then the North way. For the first Camino could be great. Bom Caminho whatever way you choose! :)

Hello!
We made it to Porto. Interesting that I never noticed your post until now....and interesting that here is where we ended up. :)
We walked along the coast from Porto yesterday and now we are debating whether to stay coastal or go inland...any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Obrigada,

Heather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Edit: Sorry I've just noticed that you've already completed your first Camino.
Congratulations.

My original post:

Every journey begins with the first step.

Go forth and enjoy. Don't feel intimidated by those who are fit, have weeks / months of free time and can choose to spend it walking km after km day after day.

To each one his / her Camino. There's always the option to return another time and walk further.

Buen Camino.
P.S. I would agree that the CF for its infrastructure and variety would be a suitable choice.

Hi everyone,

Warm Regards,
Heather

Hello all,
We finished our Camino having started in Porto! What an experience.
Thank you for your input, thoughts, blessings and mostly grace on this forum. I’ve read some posts by some disgruntled and/or disillusioned pilgrims lately and more often than not, the responses are sent with love as their foundation. It shows that you don’t just walk the Camino, you live it as well. May we all get to that place someday.
Blessings and gratitude,
Heather and family

Hi All,
I’ll be starting my first Camiño in one week, the full St Jean to SdC. The flight to Biarritz is booked and I’ve bought the credencial. I have start in June so I’m a bit worried about heat and crowds but will figure it out. July and Goretex shoes though? I may go for non Goretex and let my feet breathe.
Late 50’s but fit. Wish me luck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.