• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

25 km per day?

SlowCamino2024

Time of past OR future Camino
sept 2024
Why do most Camino walkers walk approximately 25 km per day? This seems excessive to me.
I like to go slowly and spend time in a place. Kindly explain. Gracias

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone walks the pace that they prefer. For me, that is about 25 km per day, which I can cover in about 5-7 hours. Other people prefer to walk shorter or longer distances.
Just like some people like vanilla ice cream while others prefer chocolate.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why do most Camino walkers walk approximately 25 km per day? This seems excessive to me.
I like to go slowly and spend time in a place. Kindly explain.
I'm not sure what type of explanation you are looking for, as there should be no need to defend this distance or any other! ;) If a normal walking speed is about 3-5 km/h, and you are willing to walk for 6 hours, you will cover about 18-30 km. If you prefer/need to walk slower, or fewer hours, that's your choice. Many people walk more. However, the "reason" that Camino walkers might average about 25 km/day is because that corresponds to their speed, daily endurance, and availability.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I sometimes choose to only walk a ‘half-day’ (for me) ie 12 or 14 km but only when heading to a big city. On the francés, Burgos, León or Sdc for ex., if I fancy visiting places, museums etc. On others, Mérida, Salamanca, Zamora…
If you walk a short day and arrive, say, at 10 am in Boadilla del Camino or Redecilla or Villafranca Montes de Oca or Burgo Ranero (to name but a few!) there is NOTHING to do, nothing to see and the albergue/hotel/cafe won’t even be open…
But it may suit you. Just go at your pace and enjoy 😉

Then go slow, it's not a race. :)

I'm not sure where you get the 25 kms from.

Many of the Guidebooks seem to suggest 'stages' that are way too far for me to walk comfortably.

My average is probably 20 kms a day once I warm up.
My first few days tend to build up slowly. 12, 15, 18, 20.

I think on 'average' most people walk 20-25 kms. Of course some walk a lot more and some less.

You walk as far as you want to walk.............. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you think about it the answer is simple - the guide books offer so many days to get to Santiago from St Jean, usually 33 days - so the daily kms have to fit into that so there the basic structure of the book.

Unfortunately, regardless of health and fitness pilgrims many keep to those day stages, as if the guide book is a rule book.
It isn't - it is a guide book.

Unless retired (or the idle wealthy) a pilgrim tends to have time pressures - and five + weeks is a long time off work. Anyone who has unbounded time can take a year to walk it if they want, or do sections each year.

What you walk is very much up to you. Personally, I walk relaxed, slow, rest when I want .. and when I get tired? .. I stop at the next refugio.

As others have said, the average length of your daily walk is up to you (along with several other variables, eg availability of accommodation).

But around 25km is a sweet spot for many pilgrims, including me. Beyond simply the physical aspect (i.e. to walk a decent distance but not overly exert yourself to the point of risking exhaustion or injury), some reasons for this are:

- Not everyone has the time to walk shorter stages and still reach their end destination.

- On the less popular routes especially, accommodation is often spread about this far apart because that meets the demands of many pilgrims, therefore ‘locking’ you into stages of about 25km, give or take.

- Depending on your pace and number of stops etc, 25km usually allows for arrival around 2-3pm, which is a good time to arrive. It allows you to shower and rest up and then have time for an afternoon exploration/drink before dinner.

- If you walk much shorter stages you might find inconveniences relating to accommodation (i.e. albergues often ‘kick you out’ fairly early and if you walk a short stage you may arrive at your destination around midday when your room/bed/shower might not be ready for you.

- Not all the places on the camino are interesting. While extra time in certain towns is nice, having a whole afternoon in a tiny village can often be too much time and could become boring.

- For social reasons, if others you have met whose company you enjoy are walking around that length, you may wish to stay in sync with them to be able to spend more time with them (as long as you don’t over exert yourself in doing so).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Excellent summary @jungleboy - my average for many years was in the high 20s, it just worked out that way. But the 'sweet spot' is now edging lower ... and lower. We have time - so our next Camino we will probably aim for an average between 20 and 25 kms, and less when walking in to a town or city that we want to explore.

There's no rule @SlowCamino2024 -- if you have the time, take the time you want and see how it unfolds.

Some days I walk 24-25k.
Some days I walk 7 k.
Just depends on how I feel.
I think you're basing your assumption on the Brierley stages, which aren't written in stone, though some seem to think they are.
Walk as many k as you're comfortable walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My sweet spot is 12 to 16 km per day, give or take a few. If I'm feeling good longer, if not shorter. I don't follow the guide books with the prescribed stages. I like to stay in the less popular towns, villages and albergues. I'm 69, and that's comfortable for me, but then I have no limitations on the time I spend on the Camino. Just be careful you don't over do it and in up injured. That can lead to a very disappointing outcome. Always remember, it's your Camino. There are no rules, no right or wrong Way to walk the Camino. Have fun and enjoy the walk. Buen Camino

I walk slower than home when walking 'the Camino', usually around 4km/h (compared to walking 5-6km/h at home when flat- I walk quite a lot usually). I have found that this, and some rest every two hours (and change of socks), is the best pace for me to avoid shin splints and other foot injuries. I also knit when I walk and that is easier when I walk a rather slow pace. The first week I usually walk 25-30 km a day and thereafter I tend to walk 30-40 km a day. I never book in advance, I walk as far as I feel like and phone ahead a few villages the same day to see what's open and available and adjust the distance accordingly. The only time I can walk is late fall/winter, then the heat is never a problem and albergues are rarely full, although many are not open. It's hard to explain, but I feel so incredibly relaxed, calm, happy and content when I can be outside walking all day. All day from sunrise and sometimes to after sunset (remember: shorter days fall/winter) - sometimes arriving with headlamp in the dark in time for a communal dinner - really a wonderful experience. Sleep when tired, no alcohol (a life choice), wake up when rested without an alarm.... This works for me, it is not a race, it's just pure (physical and mental) wellbeing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stop and think about it. Of all of the multitude of pilgrims who walk any Camino path, there HAS to be an average distance walked daily. Given constraints on time, physical and enjoyment, the average range is probably somewhere between 15 and 30km/day of walking. Ultimately, the pace is purely up to the individual and not measured against other walkers.

Stop and think about it. Of all of the multitude of pilgrims who walk any Camino path, there HAS to be an average distance walked daily. Given constraints on time, physical and enjoyment, the average range is probably somewhere between 15 and 30km/day of walking. Ultimately, the pace is purely up to the individual and not measured against other walkers.

If the full Frances is 790kms and the suggested days are 33 then the average is surely 23.93939393939394kms per day? 🤣

For some it takes at least 20km to completely zone out, and the next 20-30km is where the magic happens 🤣

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keep in mind these walks are typically town to town walks. If you look at the map, you will see that much of Spain is laid out in a network of towns which are spaced such that one could walk from one town to the next in a day. This network of towns has it's genesis hundreds, if not thousands of years ago, when commuting was often done by foot or on the backs of livestock. This would explain at least some of the stages that you might have in mind. Certainly on routes like the VdlP, this is the case.

I would not want to do 25k/day. I did the last 100 (was actually 120km). My sister & I spread it over 12 days! Had a place with a pool for 2 nights & did yoga at another. We slept in & because we booked ahead, didn’t have to rush. I will do another 120k this summer, same way.

Attachments

• IMG_8030.jpeg
    IMG_8030.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

My first Camino age 56 I had an open completion date so I just walked what I walked. My shortest day was 4 km and my longest was over 30 km on the way to Finistere. My average was 20 km per day. Even before leaving I knew I couldn’t do much more than that. My most recent Camino -age 72 - I think I averaged 17 km per day. I can walk much further but not day after day. I alternated longer and shorter days. I also like to wander along, stop and talk to the trees, explore places of interest. Some people love the actual walking rhythm and do long days. You will find your own rhythm and pace.
If you do a longer Camino you get trail fitness and can do longer days if needed.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I sometimes choose to only walk a ‘half-day’ (for me) ie 12 or 14 km but only when heading to a big city. On the francés, Burgos, León or Sdc for ex., if I fancy visiting places, museums etc. On others, Mérida, Salamanca, Zamora…
If you walk a short day and arrive, say, at 10 am in Boadilla del Camino or Redecilla or Villafranca Montes de Oca or Burgo Ranero (to name but a few!) there is NOTHING to do, nothing to see and the albergue/hotel/cafe won’t even be open…
But it may suit you. Just go at your pace and enjoy 😉

Yes I am one of those people who love to arrive in a tiny village early and sit in the peace and quiet of nothing to do. Not every day - but for at least a few days of my Camino.

@Rita Flower
Do the trees respond in English or Spanish, or is there a Google translate for 'whispers from nature' 😜

I find that when you hug trees, the language is somewhat 'International' ;)

EDITED. Found this old video. Sorry, couldn't resist sharing it.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It’s the journey - not the destination. You can always return.

Schedules, targets, averages, and chasing certificates are distractions to leave at home.

Think of the Peregrino we met who had started his Camino 25 years earlier, unable to return due to responsibilities until Covid forced early retirement. In Boadila, he was enjoying his 2nd or 3rd beer, waiting for his wife ‘who photographs and smell every flower”. That was almost 2 years ago. I doubt that they made it to Astorga, yet, But they are walking in the spirit of pilgrimage and enjoying a true Camino experience!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s the journey - not the destination. You can always return.

Schedules, targets, averages, and chasing certificates are distractions to leave at home.

Think of the Peregrino we met who had started his Camino 25 years earlier, unable to return due to responsibilities until Covid forced early retirement. In Boadila, he was enjoying his 2nd or 3rd beer, waiting for his wife ‘who photographs and smell every flower”. That was almost 2 years ago. I doubt that they made it to Astorga, yet, But they are walking in the spirit of pilgrimage and enjoying a true Camino experience!

I do so agree Walkalong - my Ebay CaminoStore tagline is -
"On Camino every day is a journey, and it is the journey itself that is home" which is taken from a poem by Matsuo Basho, the 17th C Japanese Zen poet - is this why we return to Camino? Wanderers?

"The moon and sun are eternal travellers. Even the years wander on. A lifetime adrift in a boat, or in old age leading a tired horse into the years, every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. From the earliest times there have always been some who perished along the road. Still I have always been drawn by wind-blown clouds into dreams of a lifetime of wandering.
It was only towards the end of last autumn that I returned from rambling. I barely had time to sweep the cobwebs from my broken house on the River Sumida before the New Year, but no sooner had the spring mist begun to rise over the field than I wanted to be on the road again. The gods seem to have possessed my soul and turned it inside out, and roadside images seemed to invite me from every corner, so that it was impossible for me to stay idle at home. Even while I was getting ready, mending my torn trousers, tying a new strap to my hat, and applying moxa to my legs to strengthen them, I was already dreaming of the full moon rising over the islands of Matsushima."

Ah ... did he wonder about daily distances or just daily wander? ..... Buen Camino!

Note: I am aware that those of working age have time limits, so this is really for us oldies!

Last edited:
Make you awn arrangements.
When my wife (not a strong walker) and I waked the Camino Frances in 2009 we took 50 days. The best thing I have ever done. We had 3 'rest' days - in Burgos and Leon (sightseeing) and Ponferrada (illness).
<10 kms/day 3 days, 10-20 kms/day 27 days, >20 kms/day 17 days max was 25kms.
The 3 short days were only 5 kms each. We stopped an Trinadad de Arre then walked 5 kms to Pamplona. Left there the next day at 3 pm and walked 5 kms to Cizur Menor. So we spent nearly 2 full days in Pamplona with only one night stay. We also stopped at Monto de Gozo so only had 5 kms to Santiago de Compostela the next day - with plenty of time to get our Compostela then attend the noon mass (with botafumeiro swinging).
So - do what suits you.

My sweet spot is 20-25 km per day. Walk what is right for you. But you may need to pick the right Camino to enable that.

It really depends on the route. In a route with a lot of infrastructure like the Frances or the Portugues, you can walk the distance you like in most cases. On less-walked routes, with less infrastructure, there may be less choices in terms of where to stop. On the former, you get different groups walking at different paces. When I started the Camino Frances with my son and we were walking 15 km/day, there was one group of pilgrims we would see every day. When we upped it to 25 km/day, we found ourselves in a different group we'd see every day. When we dropped down to closer to 20 km/day, again we found a different cohort of pilgrims. On the other hand, on the lesser walked routes often everyone will stop at the same towns because those are the places with accommodations, no matter what you would prefer to walk. But even with these routes, some pilgrims find ways to split long stages into two.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was 64 years old in Sept of 2022 when I did the 500 mile Camino Frances in 30 days. So, I averaged around 16 miles a day. I didn't take any rest days but I had a couple days where I only hiked 9 miles for various reasons. One time is was because I couldn't get a bed in Mansilla and had to keep walking to Villarente. Then the next day was short going into Leon. Mansilla recently got a grant so they can remodel and reopen their municipal albergue. Plus, your body will get used to hiking after a week, and you'll be able to do more. For instance, I got to Burgos after 10 days of hiking. Then I managed to do the 8 stages of the mesata in 6 days. The meseta is fairly flat except for Alto Mostelares, which is an easier climb than some other hills on the camino. And if you do some hiking at home ahead of time, you will be fine. Remember, you pretty much have nothing to do all day except for hike.

Thanks so much isawtman. Good on you for this great bucket list adventure at a latter time in life!
Yes, i have been curious to hear why people feel compelled to walk so fast. My plan is to make many
stops, enjoy the sites and a lot of great cuisine unavailable where i live! Thanks again for sharing!

I am ~5 weeks out from beginning my first Camino. I've been walking 6-9 miles for more than and year and when I bumped my distance up to 14 mile (with a pack) I developed (mild) shin splints. I have given myself ~6 weeks to make it to Finisterre. Do I have enough time before now (4-27-24) and my SJPP departure date (5/5/24) to recover?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am ~5 weeks out from beginning my first Camino. I've been walking 6-9 miles for more than and year and when I bumped my distance up to 14 mile (with a pack) I developed (mild) shin splints. I have given myself ~6 weeks to make it to Finisterre. Do I have enough time before now (4-27-24) and my SJPP departure date (5/5/24) to recover?
I have had shin splints a couple of times on camino and they have gone away after about three days. But I’m not a doctor and my experience might not match yours. Good luck!

You may not be walking upright.

In my experience, shin splints occur when I lean slightly forward as I walk.

This, in turn, is usually because my backpack is incorrectly adjusted and the weight is not being carried on my hips.

Once I adjust my backpack correctly and concentrate on lifting my body as I walk and having my legs swing like a pendulum I find that my shin splints disappear within a day or two.

Of course, we are all different and your experience may vary. 🚶

Can I recommend a quick visit to a good physiotherapist. Recently I have discovered there is so much I didn’t know about how my body works and which muscles support what. And I have been a yoga practitioner for years. But there is always more to learn. Some good advice above.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You may not be walking upright.

In my experience, shin splints occur when I lean slightly forward as I walk.

This, in turn, is usually because my backpack is incorrectly adjusted and the weight is not being carried on my hips.

Once I adjust my backpack correctly and concentrate on lifting my body as I walk and having my legs swing like a pendulum I find that my shin splints disappear within a day or two.

Of course, we are all different and your experience may vary. 🚶

True - here's a test - stand straight and relaxed with arms down the sides (no pack). Become aware of the front of the legs all the way down to the feet. Now bend forward at the waist - the waist only - and you can feel all the muscles and tendons and ligaments tightening up and going into stress - this is what happens when one leans forward wearing a rucksack - before even taking the first step, so, yes, one has to walk upright and relaxed.

Also, to avoid shin splints one must take much shorter steps - Roman soldiers walked all day with heavy packs by using short steps and raising the knees at each step - if one raises the knees at each step one cannot take long steps so no stress.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yip, 25-35km per day here, too. Sometime even longer. Anything below is stroll, not a hike ;)
If it's getting boring or something is starting to hurt, I walk 10km more.

But I'm fairly fit, seasoned hiker, fast walker. 25km is ~4hrs, 35km is 5,5-6hrs, depending on the terrain.
The 24km up the Brocken and back last weekend were just 6hrs of walking by 1200m elevation in total.

Yip, 25-35km per day here, too. Sometime even longer. Anything below is stroll, not a hike ;)
If it's getting boring or something is starting to hurt, I walk 10km more.

But I'm fairly fit, seasoned hiker, fast walker. 25km is ~4hrs, 35km is 5,5-6hrs, depending on the terrain.
The 24km up the Brocken and back last weekend were just 6hrs of walking by 1200m elevation in total.
A Camino is a stroll, much like the groomed path up the Brocken. ;)

If you want a real hike try the Gros Morn Traverse, but be careful not to pitch your bivy on a game trail. Moose, caribou, bear, wolves, coyote are active at night. :)

I'll likely be strolling a Camino.:)

If you want a real hike try the Gros Morn Traverse, but be careful not to pitch your bivy on a game trail. Moose, caribou, bear, wolves, coyote are active at night. :)
Parts of the Harz mountains and neighboring Dün, Elm and Solling are repopulated by wolves. Strictly prohibited to set up a tent outside few fenced camping grounds.

If you never been to the Harz, just imagine the northernmost continental peak with alpine climate. The last 4 weeks they had to evacuate the plateau twice due to hazardous conditions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back