• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

20 yr old female solo?

VeronicaEspo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2018)
Hello. So I'm possibly walking the Camino Frances sometime this year. I was looking into maybe July. Does anybody know when the busiest month is? I'd prefer to go during a pretty popular month, reason being is because I'm going by myself. I'm a 20 year old female, and a little hesitant about going solo. Is it safe for me to do so? Should I reach out to people and make plans to meet up with them? I would love to meet people along the way, and from what I've read, it sounds like I will meet plenty. I would just feel better if things were planned in advanced. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
July will be very busy , perhaps a little too much and you may find yourself wanting solitude .
I walked in May /June , albeit male I did not witness any situations or circumstances that I would not have been comfortable seeing my own shy and retiring 20 year old daughter in .
If you are able to travel on Public Transport in your own home town you are most likely to be mentally equipped to walk the Camino . Spain is an enlightened country with a generally delightful populace , you will meet extraordinary people almost every day and most likely never be alone , the Camino is well traveled and very well sign posted , aside from normal night time and ' pit of the stomach ' precautions I suspect you have little to be concerned about .
Still if there are nagging doubts mention them , solutions are often closer than you think .

Hi veronica, welcome to the forum.
Lots of people will be walking in July. Not my corner of the world but I think it may be college/university holidays at that time of year so expect to see some other young people on the camino.
Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spain is an enlightened country with a generally delightful populace , you will meet extraordinary people almost every day and most likely never be alone .

Hi Veronica,
I absolutely agree with the sentiments expressed by CZ. You will meet lots of other people along the way and I have no doubt that both you and they will be the better for your experience of walking and meeting and interacting. Walking the Camino like any other human activity comes complete with risk. It is not 100% safe but life is not 100% safe, otherwise it is not life. However I can say from my experience that the Camino is one of the safest things you could ever possibly do. So go to Spain, walk the Camino, do not over plan, allow the journey to unfold in its own way in its own time and simply experience and enjoy every day as it comes up. And to finish on a note of envy, I wish I was 20 and going on my first Camino; simply magical.
Aidan

June and October are the two most popular months for starting from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Veronica and welcome!
I have walked the Camino francés three times in July/August and in my opinion it is a lovely time to walk it! Plenty of young people, lots of students and of course, teachers as it's holiday time! :D

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Hello Veronica,

Welcome to the Forum. Here we will assist however we can but be prepared, we may twist you about a little, once in a while too.

Such is my point for responding now. When you say,"So I'm possibly walking the Camino Frances sometime this year," a bunch of questions begin spinning forward for me. (New to hiking in general? What is the focus of this trip? Is it religious or a getaway?) And the answers will be a varied as there are pilgrims.

So, I simply wonder the motivation? A response is not needed by any means but it is a topic that is regularly discussed here.

In answer to your question, July is busy and that is a good time for lots of company on the Camino. It is also one of the hotest months. So, when you enter a town and everything is closed, you know it is Siesta time. This is also why most will have supper at or after 7 PM.

Hope this helps.

All the months from May to end of September are very busy on the Camino Frances so you can choose anytime during those months and be confident that you'll have as much company as you want. I wouldn't recommend making any commitments to other people. Wait until you are in SJPP and plan one day at a time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked in June and there were a lot of younger people walking - mostly university students on summer break. I think it's a great experience for everybody - young adults especially. Once you are a pilgrim, you are always a pilgrim - it's part of your identiy - and I think that becoming a pilgrim so early in your adulthood would be an amazing thing.

As far as safety goes, it's easy to meet people on the Camino and to make friends. So you won't be alone. And most of the people who choose to spend their spare time walking across the countryside are good people - there are a few bad apples, just like in any group - but most are pretty stand-up people. The groups that form tend to be somewhat fluid - you'll meet some people, walk with them for a couple days, then they'll walk farther than you one day, so you'll lose track of them, but then maybe end up meeting up with someone you met a week earlier and then didn't see for a few days... Everybody is going the same direction, but at different paces, so the pilgrims around you aren't always the same people, but there will always be people, especially in the summer. So, if you end up around people you don't like or who aren't good for you, it is easy to lose track of them - just stop earlier one day or walk farther than them, and voila, you aren't walking with them anymore.

I walked in July last year and there were tons of young people. You will have no trouble meeting people. If you would like to connect with other women walking the Camino you should join the Camigas group on Facebook.

Hello Veronica,

Welcome to the Forum. Here we will assist however we can but be prepared, we may twist you about a little, once in a while too.

Such is my point for responding now. When you say,"So I'm possibly walking the Camino Frances sometime this year," a bunch of questions begin spinning forward for me. (New to hiking in general? What is the focus of this trip? Is it religious or a getaway?) And the answers will be a varied as there are pilgrims.

So, I simply wonder the motivation? A response is not needed by any means but it is a topic that is regularly discussed here.

In answer to your question, July is busy and that is a good time for lots of company on the Camino. It is also one of the hotest months. So, when you enter a town and everything is closed, you know it is Siesta time. This is also why most will have supper at or after 7 PM.

Hope this helps.

Good evening, Michelle. First, I must say I love this website. What a great way for people to connect and share their experiences. Secondly, as I am still new to it, and not to sure how to work it, so I hope this reply gets to you.

Anyway to answer your questions. No, I am not new to hiking. I love to hike. I've hiked mountains and volcanoes, nothing that's taken a month to hike though. haha The reason why I said "possibly" was because of finances. The main focus of my trip would be to help me grow spiritually, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to getaway from everything I know for a month. haha Also, it sounds like an amazing experience that I don't want to miss out on. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Veronica,
I absolutely agree with the sentiments expressed by CZ. You will meet lots of other people along the way and I have no doubt that both you and they will be the better for your experience of walking and meeting and interacting. Walking the Camino like any other human activity comes complete with risk. It is not 100% safe but life is not 100% safe, otherwise it is not life. However I can say from my experience that the Camino is one of the safest things you could ever possibly do. So go to Spain, walk the Camino, do not over plan, allow the journey to unfold in its own way in its own time and simply experience and enjoy every day as it comes up. And to finish on a note of envy, I wish I was 20 and going on my first Camino; simply magical.
Aidan
Couldn't agree more! 2o and going on your first Camino:)Enjoy and have the time of your life. I'm hoping to fit quite a few more in at 65!

Good evening, Michelle. First, I must say I love this website. What a great way for people to connect and share their experiences. Secondly, as I am still new to it, and not to sure how to work it, so I hope this reply gets to you.

Anyway to answer your questions. No, I am not new to hiking. I love to hike. I've hiked mountains and volcanoes, nothing that's taken a month to hike though. haha The reason why I said "possibly" was because of finances. The main focus of my trip would be to help me grow spiritually, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want to getaway from everything I know for a month. haha Also, it sounds like an amazing experience that I don't want to miss out on. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.:)

Hi Veronica,

You do have needs and the Camino is prepared to provide. We merely need to let go and allow it to happen. The experience awaits.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.