• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd Camino - Repeat CF or try something new?

Tim Floyd

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2023
TDMB 2016
Cotswold Way 2018
My wife and I completed CF from SJPP in 2017 and are talking about doing another Camino. I kind of want to do CF again to relive some of the best moments and experience some new things we might have missed. She thinks we should take on another route like CP to experience something entirely new. Many on this forum have done multiple pilgrimages. Can you weigh in with thoughts on repeat or try a new path?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the Frances in 2015, then decided on the Norte/Primitivo combo the following year. I loved them both, but in entirely different ways. Then in 2017 I went back to walk the Frances as I was with family and it was their first Camino. I truly enjoyed it the second time around, but decided I want new adventures, so now will walk the Le Puy route in June....That said, the Frances route will always be special and dear to my heart.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Frances in 2017 as well , I had such an amazing time I would be loathe to try it again in case the second time didn't live up to the first . Some memories really should remain sacred .
Still , I needed a new adventure so for me and some that I met along the Way it is Stevenson's Way or the GR70 for May/ June 2018 .

Hi Tim,

I'm also pondering this kind of question even after my second CF.

On the one hand the CF is like a safety blanket and I know I'll love it. It's also true that even if you follow the same path no two trips are exactly the same; I've done one in Spring, one in Summer, one travelling alone (initially), another with friends, one in so much pain that I couldn't really explore at the end of the day but with a real sense of acheivement upon arrival in SdC and another which took me off the beaten path but was perhaps a little too easy to be entirely fulfilling. So there are plenty of ways you can make the same path different.

On the other hand I did my first camino to challenge myself and do something new. Unless I do the CF in winter (which I might do) I won't be doing that, so I'm now thinking Norte or the temple walk in Japan, but even then these are just variations on a theme of putting one foot in front of the other, is it just difference for the sake of difference?

So at the end of the day I guess it boils down to what do you prefer? A guaranteed good experience or the uncertain possibility of a better one. Funnily enough I had no fear doing my first camino but the fear of making the wrong decision for my next big walk is very real.

Whatever you choose- Buen Camino,

Rob.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tim,

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP in 2014 and then walked to Finisterre and Muxia. There are some alternative route sections I wanted to do and places I passed through where I would like to stay, so I went back in 2015 and 2016 walking from SDPP again for the 2nd and 3rd time. In 2015 I walked on to Finisterre then Muxia and walked back to SDC. In 2016 I walked on to Muxia then Finesterre and walked back to SDC.

Having walked all the alternatives and staying in more than 100 different Albergues, in 2017 I walked the Camino Primitivo from Oviedo then took a bus to Ferrol and walked the Camino Ingles. Both were also wonderful journeys.

This year I will be back on the Camino Frances for the 4th time, but with my son to celebrate his 16th birthday.

Whatever you choose to do Tim, Buen Camino

Mike

Despite his autism and learning difficulties, my son who will be with me this year loves to spend time walking.

Last year he walked the Jubilee Challenge for the 2nd time on the Dartmoor Ten Tors weekend, and tripped over near the end grazing his forehead. Here is the Army video taken at the end.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As many have said CF has a very unique type of appeal. After that ,to relive long distance pilgrimage you can pick Le Puy ,Norte or Via de la plata, each one of them having some similarities with CF but also great differences . Otherwise, depending upon the time you have, you could start in Madrid on the Camino de Madrid (check in the Forum for details) that connects ,after 350 km, on the CF at Sahagun .
So you could combine the discovery of a very special and beautiful itinerary with the unforgettable experience only CF can provide .

I have walked the CF in 2012 and now in May I will start walking the Aragones from Oloron til Puenta la Reina but I did not find out yet how to arrive at Oloron due to train strike

I have not walked the CF yet, but loved the Norte, loved the Via de la Plata/Sanabres, loved the Camino del Salvador and the Torres. Will be doing the coastal Portugues with my daughters and grandchildren this summer, se Deus quiser, and am looking at the Olvidado for next year, again se Deus quiser. The CF will have to wait until I am more fragile and need reassurance on a camino walked by many.
I think you will probably like whichever you chose!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tim,

I'm also pondering this kind of question even after my second CF.

On the one hand the CF is like a safety blanket and I know I'll love it. It's also true that even if you follow the same path no two trips are exactly the same; I've done one in Spring, one in Summer, one travelling alone (initially), another with friends, one in so much pain that I couldn't really explore at the end of the day but with a real sense of acheivement upon arrival in SdC and another which took me off the beaten path but was perhaps a little too easy to be entirely fulfilling. So there are plenty of ways you can make the same path different.

On the other hand I did my first camino to challenge myself and do something new. Unless I do the CF in winter (which I might do) I won't be doing that, so I'm now thinking Norte or the temple walk in Japan, but even then these are just variations on a theme of putting one foot in front of the other, is it just difference for the sake of difference?

So at the end of the day I guess it boils down to what do you prefer? A guaranteed good experience or the uncertain possibility of a better one. Funnily enough I had no fear doing my first camino but the fear of making the wrong decision for my next big walk is very real.

Whatever you choose- Buen Camino,

Rob.
Wow, I am so in tune w your thoughts, No fear when I did my first one, as I prepare for my second venture I am full of anxiety. The original plan is Norte starting very soon. Buen Camino

Each time I walk a route I previously walked, I always see things that I missed the first time. There is a certain comfort level that comes from having 'been there and done that.'

I would never say it was boring or not worthwhile. Also, if you walk at different times of the year, say autumn versus spring, the entire environment takes on a different character and coloration.

On the contrary, repeat trips along the same route only serve to enhance your knowledge and appreciation of the route and the people along it. I have even had the strange occurrence of hoteliers and bar owners remembering my last visit...go figure!

That said, If you are not inclined to walk the Camino Frances (CF) again, try another route. There are plenty of them. If you like the services and amenities along the CF, consider the Camino Portugues from Porto to Santiago. Or, consider the Camino Frances with variations.

For example, this year, I am walking the (Winter Route) the Camino Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. The Camino Frances leads you into Ponferrada, after Cruz de Ferro and Molinaseca. From the main albergue (Saint Nicholas) the route splits. You can continue on the Frances, or switch to the Invierno, simply by taking a different route from the albergue.

The Invierno route is some 38 km longer than the Frances from Ponferrada to Santiago, about two days walking. However, it avoids the crowding, bed races, and general over use along this last 8 - 9 days segment into Santiago. Many veteran pilgrims are complaining about this route, and the din increases each year. So, I thought to walk it personally so I can better advise regarding using it as a viable, and near parallel alternative.

Hence, I start from Ponferrada on 13 April and plan a 10-day walk to Santiago. Various walking plans exist to do this in from 9 - 12 days. I chose a 10-day plan based on advance reservations and daily distances. This works out to about 26 km daily on average. IIRC, the official Pilgrim Office distance is 258 km.

The reason for the Invierno route is that it runs along a river valley, at lower elevations than the customary Camino Frances route. Thus, while you avoid O'Cebriero, you also mitigate the likelihood of snow and freezing temperatures. Hence, the term 'the winter route.' Then again, there will likely be MUD. I hate mud. but, nothing is perfect, and no battle plan survives the first shot fired in anger...

Hope this helps.

Funnily enough I had no fear doing my first camino but the fear of making the wrong decision for my next big walk is very real.
This is my thought Dorpie...loved the CF in 2016 which I describe as the "agony and the ecstasy." A wonderful experience that has drawn us back and we start the del Norte in 5 weeks. Looking forward to a different journey although at times we've thought about doing the CF again, but keep coming back to the original plan of the north road.
You never know what's around the corner in life, so for us, best to experience something new.
If we "survive" this, I'd love to do the Frances next year, possibly a winter one.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Despite his autism and learning difficulties, my son who will be with me this year loves to spend time walking.

Last year he walked the Jubilee Challenge for the 2nd time on the Dartmoor Ten Tors weekend, and tripped over near the end grazing his forehead. Here is the Army video taken at the end.

How wonderful you and your son are walking together to celebrate a milestone!! Happy Birthday to him and a Buen Camino to you both.

My wife and I completed CF from SJPP in 2017 and are talking about doing another Camino. I kind of want to do CF again to relive some of the best moments and experience some new things we might have missed. She thinks we should take on another route like CP to experience something entirely new. Many on this forum have done multiple pilgrimages. Can you weigh in with thoughts on repeat or try a new path?
What a fantastic decision to have to make!! Whatever happens it will be amazing. Wishing you both a Buen Camino

I walked the Frances in 2017 as well , I had such an amazing time I would be loathe to try it again in case the second time didn't live up to the first . Some memories really should remain sacred .
Still , I needed a new adventure so for me and some that I met along the Way it is Stevenson's Way or the GR70 for May/ June 2018 .
My second time was better. Try it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having walked the CF in 2014 we returned in 2016 and enjoyed it just as much. We walked the Francigena from Lausanne to Rome but lack of infrastructure and fewer people didn’t make it as enjoyable, and walked the Kumano Kodo this year but got buffeted by a typhoon ... so we’re heading back to the CF at the start of May.

I did the Tour Du Mont Blanc with my son in 2016. Great time together. I would love to have the opportunity to do Camino with my kids. Have a great time with your son.

Attachments

• 67C61E31-78C2-40B4-9234-EC4D0B9397A8.jpeg
    67C61E31-78C2-40B4-9234-EC4D0B9397A8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
We've enjoyed our 3 times on parts, or all of the Frances. All three were great in their own way. Branching out to the Via de la Plata really expanded our view. There is so much more of Spain to experience. I really think the Spanish people that live along the less used routes express their affection for the pilgrim in a very special way. The CP numbers have grown dramatically the last couple of years, so keep that in mind. The VdlP and Camino Madrid are still quite solitary. Buen Camino, whatever your final decision.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tim, when you went for the first time and found yourself on the Camino, you didn't know for sure that you will have good moments, when they will arrive or where. Now, you think back and say that you had "best moments". Nothing is going to be the same. You may have other best moments, but you are not going to relive the old ones.
Go for something new, I would say. A new country, maybe, as your wife says.
We all know that we cannot live all the possible experiences, so, as the time is finite, try to make the best out of it.

Going back to the Frances for the 4th time coming September. Every time it's a new experience there I walked it each time with one of my kids. Coming September it's my daughter's turn. It will be nice that after that one all my kids have "walked with me" and can exchange their experiences. Aside from the 1st time I can only go 2 weeks each year but it's been great every single time. Enjoy :)

I've walked the entire CF incl. Finisterre and Muxia 6 times, and I'm still not tired of it.
It's the social aspect and the ever-changing landscape that attracts me to the CF.
From the third time on, my Caminos started as a walking holiday but I always end up as a pilgrim giving help, needing help.

Don't worry about trodding the same path again, no two Caminos are anything alike!
You'll probably sleep in different places, have different weather and most importantly: you have changed from what you have learned the first time.

Whatever you decide; Buen Camino for the both of you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have walked the CF several times, with anticipations of replicating the good times had on the first one. Needless to say I had a good time each time, but nothing matched the very first time.
I believe there are too many variables at play on each which make each one different each time.
My suggestion is go without trying to duplicate the first time and be open minded to seeing new things along the way.....

Either way and wherever you go ....Buen Camino !

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What would you and your wife say to each of you doing your own walk and meeting in Santiago?
Alternatively......Depending how much time you have, could you do a mixture? SJPdP to Leon and then turn right up the San Salvador and back down the Primitivo would take longer than the Madrid + Frances from Sahagun.

I've walked the entire CF incl. Finisterre and Muxia 6 times, and I'm still not tired of it.
It's the social aspect and the ever-changing landscape that attracts me to the CF.
From the third time on, my Caminos started as a walking holiday but I always end up as a pilgrim giving help, needing help.

Don't worry about trodding the same path again, no two Caminos are anything alike!
You'll probably sleep in different places, have different weather and most importantly: you have changed from what you have learned the first time.

Whatever you decide; Buen Camino for the both of you!
That's interesting. I've walked the Frances twice now, and thoroughly enjoyed both trips. I'm thinking of the Norte for my next Camino, but I'm worried that I'll miss the social aspect of the Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm thinking of the Norte for my next Camino, but I'm worried that I'll miss the social aspect of the Frances.

That's exactly my concern too. Can anyone speak to this? I like a good mix of young and old too. People from all walks of life. How does the Norte stack up?

@Tim Floyd - Return to the CF and walk 10km per day - what a difference ...... another world. Far more time to become more socially active with the locals and experience Spain - and the Camino.
Spend a day with a few plastic bags picking up rubbish along the way - or serve as a Hospitaleros for a week or two?

I have walked the Norte twice, and met wonderful friends I still am in contact with. Less crowded perhaps than CF, but still not at all lonely. It is a very beautiful Camino, especially if you like coastal scenery.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Tim Floyd - Return to the CF and walk 10km per day - what a difference ...... another world. Far more time to become more socially active with the locals and experience Spain - and the Camino.
Spend a day with a few plastic bags picking up rubbish along the way - or serve as a Hospitaleros for a week or two?
Great ideas! We actually did trash collection as we walked. Litter was our greatest disappointment on the CF. Serving as Hospitaleros is a great idea.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back