• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 6 days into CF, here are some of my thoughts.

JW321

Time of past OR future Camino
Possibly planning for Oct. 2023
Hey all!
I know these thoughts are unsolicited, but I figured I would send them out into the world anyways.
I am 6 days into the CF with today being my first rest day. (In Estella)
My first thought is about taking this rest day. I struggled with the decision to take one today or not. I have really enjoyed getting to know the group of people I started with and seeing everyday and night. I had mixed emotions about staying back a day while they mostly all trekked forward. I could physically not take a rest day, but as I have no required end date, I want to take my time and explore some towns more. This was always the plan going in. I am sure others will rest down the road and paths will cross again, but separating from that starting group did give me mixed emotions.

My second observation/thought. I did a lot of packing research and believed I had packed very light, but after a couple days, I found I could benefit by going even lighter. In SJPP my pack was 9kg without water or food/snacks. In Pamplona I mailed about 2.75kg on to Santiago. These were items I found redundant or items I would like to have but can live without. I have one set of layerable hiking clothes (base layer, mid layer, two weights of jackets with one being water proof, pants and rain pants, ball cap, sun hat, mid and high socks), and one lounge/evening set of clothes (athletic shorts, lightweight long sleeve shirt), toiletries, medical items, and electronics/charger.
I feel the inconvenience of every other day laundry is worth the benefit of a lighter pack.
My third observation: I have stayed in many hostels around the world and have found each albergue so far very clean and nicer than many hostels I’ve previously stayed in. This was a pleasant surprise!

Those are my three observations or thoughts for the day… I’m sure many more will come. I am having a great time and enjoying pushing through each ache and pain so far. I know I’ve just begun, but am looking forward to taking on each day as it comes!

Joe

P.S. If you see a redhead with a grey backpack, say hi!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could you specifically state what you mailed forward as unnecessary and why you reached that decision? I think that would greatly help future pilgrims to leave such extras at home. Thanks, keep writing, and Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
These were items I found redundant or items I would like to have but can live without. I have one set of layerable hiking clothes (base layer, mid layer, two weights of jackets with one being water proof, pants and rain pants, ball cap, sun hat, mid and high socks), and one lounge/evening set of clothes (athletic shorts, lightweight long sleeve shirt), toiletries, medical items, and electronics/charger.
I feel the inconvenience of every other day laundry is worth the benefit of a lighter pack.
o_O
And there I was thinking that doing laundry every other day instead of every day was a luxury worth the extra weight, instead of only carrying one change of clothes like most pilgrims report doing.

Hey all!
I know these thoughts are unsolicited, but I figured I would send them out into the world anyways.
My first thought is about taking this rest day. I struggled with the decision to take one today or not. I have really enjoyed getting to know the group of people I started with and seeing everyday and night. I had mixed emotions about staying back a day while they mostly all trekked forward. I could physically not take a rest day, but as I have no required end date, I want to take my time and explore some towns more. This was always the plan going in. I am sure others will rest down the road and paths will cross again, but separating from that starting group did give me mixed emotions.

My second observation/thought. I did a lot of packing research and believed I had packed very light, but after a couple days, I found I could benefit by going even lighter. In SJPP my pack was 9kg without water or food/snacks. In Pamplona I mailed about 2.75kg on to Santiago. These were items I found redundant or items I would like to have but can live without. I have one set of layerable hiking clothes (base layer, mid layer, two weights of jackets with one being water proof, pants and rain pants, ball cap, sun hat, mid and high socks), and one lounge/evening set of clothes (athletic shorts, lightweight long sleeve shirt), toiletries, medical items, and electronics/charger.
My third observation: I have stayed in many hostels around the world and have found each albergue so far very clean and nicer than many hostels I’ve previously stayed in. This was a pleasant surprise!

Those are my three observations or thoughts for the day… I’m sure many more will come. I am having a great time and enjoying pushing through each ache and pain so far. I know I’ve just begun, but am looking forward to taking on each day as it comes!

Joe

All good thoughts. You will meet many more good people so don’t fret about losing the first group.

o_O
And there I was thinking that doing laundry every other day instead of every day was a luxury worth the extra weight, instead of only carrying one change of clothes like most pilgrims report doing.
I took enough cloths so I didn't have to do laundry every day. I thought it was well worth the little extra weight. Wii do it again next May on my next Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sure others will rest down the road and paths will cross again,
In 2013, I found Sarria was the unexpected meetup place for many of us who were separated by rest days, injury or illness. I recall one pilgrim in particular whom I met on day three in Cezur Manor. Even though he walked faster than I. We always met up at end of day until he met a couple who kept his pace and moved on. I got news of this when I was in Fromista, I was devastated. Many days past when I unexpectedly ran into a friend if his. She informed me that he had an injury and would be in Sarria. WooHoo 🥳. That news put a pep in my step. He and many others were there. It was a great celebration. We all ended up in Santiago the same day where we enjoyed our last pilgrim meal together. You’ll meet many but a few will remain with you for a lifetime. The Camino is truly magical. 😎 Buen Camino!
Sarria reunion ⬇️
IMG_8546.jpeg Santiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%20566.jpeg
Santiago
Santiago%202013%201st%20SIM%20Card%20822.jpeg

Last edited:
o_O
I find it funny that people blame their heavy backpacks on having to do laundry every day or every second day. Whats the difference between these two? Pair of socks (~50g), pair of undies (~50g) and maybe an extra shirt (~150g). And with the shirt you could debate depending on the time of year that one can either make do with two merino shirts for 3 days or otherwise quickly rinse it out and have it dry again in no time.
So anyways, even worst case, the difference is around 250g. So i guess there are other reasons involved why people carry 9kg backpacks...
(my top 3 picks are: first aid kits for wilderness expeditions, wash kits that could last half a year and backup electronics in case they don't find an outlet for a week).
And yes, i also chose to have enough options in my pack to be able to skip a day of laundry. With well below 9kg...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey all!

Joe

Hi!
I envy that you're only on day 6 of your Camino journey! I returned home last Saturday after completing Camino Frances and wonder why I'm here and not there and am having real difficulty settling. So, enjoy every single moment of every single day, hail, rain or snow or anything else that may come your way. Buen Camino peregrino!

Which pilgrimage are you walking? And you list the items you have? Is that everything you have with you or just the items in your backpack and you also have the clothes you are wearing, correct? Thanks for the information. My wife and I hope to walk from Porto to Santiago next April or May and would like to not overpack

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back