Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3.august 2009 arriving SJPDP at 09:37

Evelin

Hi !
Could I get a little advise? I know most pilgrims start walking early morning.
I take a train from Bayonne to SJPDP and I arrive there at 09:37. Than I need to get my pilgrim passport. Is it ok to start my journey after that, do I have a chance to get Roncesvalles on that day? I´v heard SJPDP-Roncesvalles is the most difficoult distance.
I have done a little training, tried to walk 20-30 km per day with 9 kg bag. 10 km is easy but 25-30 km is real pain for my feet and shoulders.
Any advice is good advice :)
Evelin

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Evelyn, if I were you, I would do one of two things:

I would either make arrangements to spend the first night in SJPP There are wonderful sights to see there, including the Prison of the Bishops, the Citadelle, and the Notre Dame du Bout du Pont (Church of Our Lady by the Bridge End). You can get a good night's rest and start out early next morning, perhaps connecting with a few pilgrims the first night... If it is not full, may I suggest you stay at L'Esprit du Chemin (0559-372-468). I'm sure there are other nice places also, but I especially love L'Esprit. It is in the middle of town, the food is awesome, and the people who run it are very supportive and nice...

OR

I would make reservations NOW to stay at the Huntto Gite (0559-371-117) or the Auberge Orisson (0681-497965) both of which are shorter walks. That way you can at least begin, but not kill yourself the first day, which is considered by many, me included, to be "Hell Day!"

I would give SJP a day. I got there around 6 pm, went to L'Espirit, then left the next morning. I didn't get to see much of it, or even just sit down to think "OMG, what am I about to do?" :) If you still feel like you have to walk that day, make a reservation at Orisson or Hunto. The walk from SJP to Roncesvalles can take up to 12 hours.

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Annie's second suggestion. Arriving at 9:30 gives you plenty of time go to the Pilgrim Office, see the sights, have lunch and still have plenty of time to walk up to Orisson. I made it in just over 2 hours but I pushed it too hard. From there it should not take more than 4 hours or so to get to Roncesvalles. Be sure to make a reservation at Orisson as soon as you know your schedule.

jeff001 said:
I agree with Annie's second suggestion. Arriving at 9:30 gives you plenty of time go to the Pilgrim Office, see the sights, have lunch and still have plenty of time to walk up to Orisson. I made it in just over 2 hours but I pushed it too hard. From there it should not take more than 4 hours or so to get to Roncesvalles. Be sure to make a reservation at Orisson as soon as you know your schedule.

Yes, I agree that a 9.30am arrival would give you plenty of time to check in at the Pilgrim Office, have a look around in SJPP, have lunch, and then head off to Orisson or Huntto, if that is what you want to do. But your times for the walk were quite fast Jeff. I think I took closer to three hours to get to Orisson - mind you I stopped to watch the eagles soaring along the way. Then it perhaps took me four and a half hours to get to Roncesvalles next day after an overnight stop in Orisson. I am not the fastest of walkers and many people were passing me, but I was quite fit by then, having been walking for weeks already. I have read somewhere, I think in CSJ info, that it does take some people up to 12 hours to get from SJPP to Roncesvalles. I can't find where I read it though!! But I think many people need to allow more than four hours to get from Orisson to Roncesvalles.
Margaret

Yes the introduction to the CSJ Guide to the Camino Frances advises inexperienced walkers to plan for 12 hours on the route Napoleon. Margaret seems to have walked in around 7.5 hours. I walked that route in 7 hours. Evelin, you are in training. You could do this in one day even starting late morning as it remains light in the evening at this time of year. But as others have said, why rush to get started? I'd have a day in StJdPP, an early night, large breakfast and then set off as early as possible to enjoy the coolness of the morning.

Buen Camino

John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you all for good advise!
I think its good idea to take it easy on my first day, look around and stay overnight in Orisson. I better save my feet because I have long walk ahead :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

I’m walking now with my daughter from Roncesvalles celebrating our birthdays and I’m finding places with really good local food in El Camino. I want to mention cafe Ttipia in SJPDP Hotel...
Hi all, Second journey upcoming but with my wife. Coming from South Dakota, USA and walking from Burgos to Santiago and then to Muxia . She won't be able to walk much and we want to move her...
Time is rushing on 8 weeks to go, as is my training programme. I watched a lot of camino training advice on You Tube and adapted some of that to fit my ramshackle plan .My first CF back in 2015...
This is an extract from my Web-App (under construction) for Camino Frances and shows the gradient graphs (with maps) for the combined as well as 32 individual walks. Select walks (in groups of 5...
Hello, if it was your first Camino, what would you do regarding below dates? Any adjustments you suggest? I am planning my very first Camino. Current loose plans are to start around April 10th...
Is there a regular bus from the Pamplona station to Roncesvalles? Please only reply if you know of the website or phone # and if the bus is currently running this summer. Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back