• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 Days Achieved

OzzieWatch

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
Hi All,

Quick update as i depended so much on the forum before i came over.

Day one, SJPP to Roncesvalles... We did it in 7hrs on a beautiful sunny day. Started at 6.45, the hike in parts nearly broke me... Nearly.. You just keep going tho.
Beautiful scenery, tough tough day.

Day two, Roncesvalles to Zubiri, really enjoyed this section. Beautiful start in the country, animal watching and just striding around. Few tough up hills but all manageable. On the descent which i was really worried about it wasnt too bad as the weather was sunny, i picked up a stick along the way from the forest which was a god send.
I get the importance of walking sticks now....
No way in wet weather would we make it down the dragons back.
Glad it was safe.. Ish as it was sunny. We took it slow.

Day three, uhhh.
Currently in Pamplona.
We got absolutely soaked once we left Zubiri. That i could cope with but the trail of wet mush, large puddlea, slippery dip for miles was really stressful
I wondered were others on a nicer safe slip free route... The constant muck from the rain was hard to deal with. No doubt many slipped today. Heart in mouth all day...
Id take the hike from over the Pyrenees anyday.
Mentally i just didn't love today.
Anyway... We press on....

Buen Camino
I hope the trail tomorrow is kinder.
Be safe all.
Im going look at options...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it worse this year? I usually just skirt the edges of the trail and it's not bad.
Couldn't see much change a few days ago. I did manage to slip and fall once on the way down - some tiny gravel on one of the wooden revetments acted like ball bearings under my boot :-( No significant damage done. Embarrassing though!

In such conditions I find my Leki hiking sticks (no rubber tips) make the walk so much safer. Yes, I have occasionally slipped and landed on my backside but so far no damage done. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh this is looking like a cab day! We too had a rough start to the Camino. We have had 1 planned rest day as well as 2 unplanned due to unforseen circumstances. I don't think I have a tough descent in me today

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it worse this year? I usually just skirt the edges of the trail and it's not bad. I wonder how much longer it takes to walk the road?
We took the road in 2014, after our experience the previous year. A short distance down from the Alto, there's a big picnic spot with spectacular views. We stopped there ("second breakfast") for a while and can see that we left there at 10. Got to Uterga at 11.30. Not fast walkers. Went down the usual descent again in 2019 and regretted it! Very slow that time and had a few slips. We were 80 and 72 by then though; it starts to make a difference!

Hi All,

Day one, SJPP to Roncesvalles... We did it in 7hrs on a beautiful sunny day. Started at 6.45, the hike in parts nearly broke me... Nearly.. You just keep going tho.

Day two, Roncesvalles to Zubiri, really enjoyed this section. Beautiful start in the country, animal watching and just striding around. Few tough up hills but all manageable. On the descent which i was really worried about it wasnt too bad as the weather was sunny, i picked up a stick along the way from the forest which was a god send.

Day three, uhhh.
Currently in Pamplona.
We got absolutely soaked once we left Zubiri. That i could cope with but the trail of wet mush, large puddlea, slippery dip for miles was really stressful
I wondered were others on a nicer safe slip free route... The constant muck from the rain was hard to deal with. No doubt many slipped today. Heart in mouth all day...

Buen Camino
Be safe all.
You should have been there September 2nd!
View attachment IMG_3546.mov

Attachments

• IMG_3673.jpeg
    IMG_3673.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3545.jpeg
    IMG_3545.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3553.mov
    977.9 KB
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All,

Day three, uhhh.
Currently in Pamplona.

Buen Camino
Be safe all.
enjoy Pamplona--because when you leave you will be going up (and then DOWN) Alto Perdon. Beautiful walk but can be strenuous . Wish I were there

Check this down from Alto del Perdon: This looks not steep, but this stretch is in parts very steep, and much worse than this, both with regards to steepness as well as amount and size of rocks you have to walk on. It ends not until you are in the valley below, so it is a long and hard downhill:

Alto.png

Last edited:
Thank you.
It was a lovely day, didn't find the uphill too hard at all. Was thinking it would be way way worse...
A few muck spots but nothing like the day before from Zubiri. My cross mood had subsided.
The walk from the end of the descent into Puente La Reina felt quite long but it was hot hot.. and we were mainly alone, very quite around in general.
Our total walk took us 5hr 20 minutes.

Sleep is near.
Take Care All.

enjoy Pamplona--because when you leave you will be going up (and then DOWN) Alto Perdon. Beautiful walk but can be strenuous . Wish I were there

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you.
It was a lovely day, didn't find the uphill too hard at all. Was thinking it would be way way worse...
A few muck spots but nothing like the day before from Zubiri. My cross mood had subsided.
The walk from the end of the descent into Puente La Reina felt quite long but it was hot hot.. and we were mainly alone, very quite around in general.
Our total walk took us 5hr 20 minutes.

Sleep is near.
Take Care All.
Was the descent difficult for you? At 69, I will hesitate to walk down there again; rather take the road route.

Hi All,

Day three, uhhh.
Currently in Pamplona.

Buen Camino
Be safe all.
Press on, dear Pilgrim.

Was the descent difficult for you? At 69, I will hesitate to walk down there again; rather take the road route.
Im 39, fairly fit so it was ok.
I needed my forest stick tho and no rain which helped a lot. It was ok for me, took it carefully.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back