• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 days to go!

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
Hi all, just a quickie,
I set off from Villafranca del Bierzo on Sunday with a plan to walk 9 shorter days.. there's a very strong chance I won't be getting anywhere near Santiago. This will be the first time I've walked and not ended at the cathedral and it just feels kind of... Odd? I'm not sure if I'm even walking a Camino or just going for a walk on a Camino route? I guess it doesn't really matter but just wondered if anyone else has had similar feelings?
Hugs
Andy x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only time I've set off on a Camino in Spain knowing that my journey would end short of Santiago was when walking the Mozarabe from Malaga to Melide. I had already walked the VdlP so I had covered the route north from Melide already. That journey did have a different feel to it and I occasionally felt myself a bit of a fraud when asked if I was a pilgrim to Santiago. I think you are not alone in your feelings.

Our Camino Frances started in 2012 and was walked in stages each year until we completed in 2016. Each time we returned we were older and a little wiser.
It was a question of time / holiday limits.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all, just a quickie,
I set off from Villafranca del Bierzo on Sunday with a plan to walk 9 shorter days.. there's a very strong chance I won't be getting anywhere near Santiago. This will be the first time I've walked and not ended at the cathedral and it just feels kind of... Odd? I'm not sure if I'm even walking a Camino or just going for a walk on a Camino route? I guess it doesn't really matter but just wondered if anyone else has had similar feelings?
Hugs
Andy x
Thanks for the post. Yeah I agree. I start in Sjpdp next month,but this time I can only spare around 21 days walking, with traveling from Australia and spending time with family in the UK.
Previously I have felt ít was important to me, to walk every step carrying my pack from my start to Santiago. This was my pilgrimage then. This time as I am finishing early as my friends walk on. I was thinking that this meant I could to do whatever I wanted as I wasn't doing a full Camino.
Your question about doing a walk on the Camino vs doing a Camino walk resonates with me and I'm going to think about that. My sense is that your intentions are the key. An open mindful walker for the last100km will gain more than a closed rigid 900km walker

I walked the Primitivo between COVID lockdowns and planned to finish in Lugo due to health issues, as I had arrived in Santiago before I didn't think it mattered. I felt I had somehow let myself down and did best myself up a bit about it, however afterthought allowed me to realise this was my Camino and all the experiences, friends and serenity I gained along the way were more important than walking into Santiago! I am starting my Camino again in 5 weeks, again won't be arriving into Santiago due to time constraints but plan to embrace every second of my experience with no judgement! Buen Camino for Sunday

Yes, I have sometimes wondered if when I am walking, but not intending to end in Santiago eventually whether I am a pilgrim or just a hiker. I think it has to do with the feel of your walk and perhaps purpose? When I use a credential and stay in albergues I usually think of myself as a pilgrim. If I am in hotels, it is more difficult for me to feel the mindset.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back