• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

55/Woman, Thinking of walking the end of Sept 2013

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct (2013) Camino Frances to Muxia
Am starting to think I may just do this walk. I am floundering in life after raising my sons. Being single and able to just GO anytime makes this journey available to me at this point in life. 8) Meeting all kinds of people from all over the world is wonderful. Pretty easy going and laid back. I spend my winters on a small island in the BWI. Not wanting to really put a label on my adventure due to there is not one coming to me...which is fine but feeling strongly about making this walk. Having an illness that may at some point or never take my ability to make walks like this one and I would like to do it before this happens if it ever happens that is...I am from the coast of North Carolina. Peace and One Love

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I'm 57 and waited until I finished raising my girls, completed graduate school and wrote the last word on a ten year project before buying my ticket to Spain. I begin my pilgrimage (going solo) on Sept. 19 or 20th from Saint John – figuring this is a good time for me to set the stage for the last 25+/- years of life. Maybe I will see you out there. Buen Camino.

I'll see you on the Camino. I am also 57 and beginning my pilgrimage Sept 16.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yep see you there..... 56 ( turning 57 on the Camino ) leaving St Jean 18th Sept :)

You do not have to have a reason/ purpose>>>>>>> just>>>>>> go , see, do, experience, enjoy :lol:

Annie

Buen camino to all of you. I'm sure you will really enjoy it.
Just be aware, once you start walking caminos it is very difficult to stop :)

Hi there, i haven't yet walked the camino, i set off from SJPdP on the 13th September this year. I have over the last 10 years had to redefine my life though after losing my disabled son in 2003 who i cared for 24/7. My two girls were grown up and left home. I'd never been out of the UK but since 2005 have taken steps to visit some of the places and do some of the things that i've always wanted to do, often on my own. In that time i've met some amazing people and my life has changed totally, for the better.

So i'd say go for it! When i decided to go traveling on my own i told my girls that i was off to follow my dreams, even if they turned into nightmares which fortunately, so far, they haven't!

Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hahaha :D Wildplace...... all I can say is .... Ditto... over 50s Ladies rule :)

Annie

Hello ladies,

I, too, am "thinking" of walking the Camino, and starting at the end of Sept.
And, like many, I'm not sure why I need to walk or want to walk, but feeling compelled to do it - and know that I would (more than) enjoy it. I'm 45.
I would leave from Chicago, fly into Spain - probably Bilboa - and make my way to SJPP or possibly whatever town is north of SJPP. I will buy a one-way ticket because I don't know how long I'll take to walk. After Santiago (and Muxia and Finnister), I'd like to head south to Porto. I'd also like to find a way/reason to stay in Spain for a few weeks or months. Or Portugal.

It's evident that I have not yet made any solid decisions, but I will, soon.

Amy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hullo,

I'm another 1955 girl. Walked the Camino when I was 49 and would do it again in a flash. Would I do anything differently? Take more time!! Have an open-dated air ticket home. After you have walked a week or so the Camino sort of picks you up and carries you. It's a wonderful feeling, like a river flowing toward the sea. But why rush?
Buen Camino

Helen

Sojourner47 said:
"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower which smiles to-day,
To-morrow will be dying".
- Robert Herrick.(1591 - 1674)

Says it all, really. :D
or, as Arthur Ransome said in his "Swallows and Amazons" book:
"Grab a chance, then you won't be sorry for a might-have-been."

Yes, my philosophy these days is "only regret what you don't do"

So i have my one way ticket to SJPdP to start walking...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go for it, I am just back from 6 days walking from St. Jean to Estella...already planning my next trip.
Highlights.......Orisson Hostel...very glad I spent the night here, what a wonderful welcome we got...good food, clean dorms, packed lunch. We were nervous to go as far as Roncevalles in one go, think for us it was the right decision, we were 7 ladies ranging from 48 to 62!

We stayed in Casa Magica in Villatuerta on our last night. It is indeed a magical place, Miguel and Simone were wonderful hosts...our washing was done and hung out for us....we relaxed in beautiful hammocks in the shade. Miguel cooked his famous vegetable paella for us which was served with salads and delicious desserts and breads...A truly wonderful experience...go there if you can..it seems Miguel and Simone may be moving on to other ventures...I hope the right person comes along who can run this Haven.
I would like to begin from here when I return next year.
Caroline

Hey Guys...pushed the button on my airlines ticket...breaking in my new boots...back pack getting packed...I GUESS that THINKING of doing THIS...has turned into...SEE YA'LL ON THE CAMINO...LOL
Thanks for all your help...leaving St Jean between 9th thru 13th of Sept.
Cindi :D

What is this age stuff, everyone so preoccupied with their age ?????
I am 61 and life is just beginning. Forget about age and think about health and willingness.
That's what I think is important .
I´m going in October to my 11th camino, no worry about being older...
Just be happy.
Katia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back