• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Request for pics of menus on CF!

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Does anyone have a picture (s) of a menu from an eatery along the CF? I'd like to get an idea of what the food choices might be ! Recommendations welcome (nothing spicy - or warn me about what IS spicy so I know what to avoid!

Only 18 sleeps until I leave for Espana!

Buen Camino todos!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Recommendations welcome (nothing spicy - or warn me about what IS spicy so I know what to avoid!
Spanish food doesn't tend to be spicy, so you shouldn't worry about that. Even the one in ten Padrón peppers that are spicy aren't that hot.

I would suggest just go and be surprised by what is on offer.

Here are two photos from the last two weeks. Actually getting to a restaurant at a time when they serve these menus has proven challenging… But you can often get lots of delicious things well beyond the menú del día, or menú peregrino. Learn to love bananas, croissants, particularly tortilla, and bread. I’m a pescatarian and have had zero trouble finding lots of fruits, veggies, and lovely grilled fish. I don’t enjoy pasta and have managed to avoid it all but one night (Grañon.) I’ve been served tremendous dishes prepared by my various hosts. And every one of those had been an unplanned surprise!

My suggestion is: Plan to be surprised, plan to enjoy local cuisine, and plan to just go with it… You’ll figure it out when you get here. And Google Translate can help.

IMG_2822.jpegIMG_2976.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be a bit careful about forming too many and too strong expectations.

It is very common for folks to report that they were disappointed when their Camino experience did not match the scenario they had formed before leaving for Spain.
Let there be surprises and unexpected adventures.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a picture (s) of a menu from an eatery along the CF? I'd like to get an idea of what the food choices might be ! Recommendations welcome (nothing spicy - or warn me about what IS spicy so I know what to avoid!

Buen Camino todos!
17 more days for me, but I will start in Pamplona.
Spain has tasty, but not spicy, food. Fish dishes, especially, in many places. Relax.

Main items available include Spanish tortilla (potatoes and eggs), orange juice, toast for breakfast and mornings. Common menu items for pilgrim menu include soups (caldos), salads, spaghetti, fries, chicken or pork, fish, bocadillos, maybe paella, and for dessert ice cream, flan, cheesecake. Lots of bread!

Not a ton of Camino variety unless you go for tapas or pinchos in a bigger town or go to a bar or hit a non Camino type place. Not many spicy things either.

Off the Camino you'll find more variety.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recommend a good cocido, either in Leon or Astorga. Not spicy, but certainly very filling.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please explain “phony paella adverts”
It is the prepared frozen dish served at way too many places in Spain, advertised at the entrance of the restaurant with nifty photos, similar from place to place, with other dishes being offered but not at all authentic in the least. If you haven't been duped, then you are duped.

Please explain “phony paella adverts”
Only phony in the sense that the paella is all premade, and not "authentic" paella freshly cooked at the restaurant. The vegetable paella can be a good choice for vegetarians and vegans though. According to this article by @Wendy Werneth it has no animal products in it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did think of something that is slightly spicy in some places--patatas bravas. Fried potatoes with a sometimes spicy mayo or ketchup. Slightly different sauce at each place which accounts for variation in spice.

Here are two photos from the last two weeks. Actually getting to a restaurant at a time when they serve these menus has proven challenging… But you can often get lots of delicious things well beyond the menú del día, or menú peregrino. Learn to love bananas, croissants, particularly tortilla, and bread. I’m a pescatarian and have had zero trouble finding lots of fruits, veggies, and lovely grilled fish. I don’t enjoy pasta and have managed to avoid it all but one night (Grañon.) I’ve been served tremendous dishes prepared by my various hosts. And every one of those had been an unplanned surprise!

My suggestion is: Plan to be surprised, plan to enjoy local cuisine, and plan to just go with it… You’ll figure it out when you get here. And Google Translate can help.

View attachment 155556View attachment 155557
I would recommend to any pescatarian to do the Norte the next chance you get. You will be by the sea and have plenty of fresh seafood to choose from. Lots of ups and downs, lots of wonderful scenery and lots of fun even (for me anyway) as I would curse a long uphill only to get to the top and find another one waiting. But all worth it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@MARSKA , just do a web search for "Menú del Dia" and "Menú/Plato del Peregrino" and you'll find a plethora of images online.

Often albergues will offer (for cost) a pilgrim's meal and for those there is little, if any, choice within courses. In some smaller centres, a meal where you are staying may be the only option, and after a day's slog one is usually very glad of it.

In larger centres, especially weekdays, the Menú del Dia for a few euros more offers a wider range of options. If the Menú has two primero platos you like, just ask if you can have those instead of choosing a segundo. Most restaurants will allow this.

I would often choose a "Plato Combinado" which has the entire meal on one plate rather than a series of courses. Generally these do not include a postre and the beverage is usually an add on.
Attached is a Plato Combinado I had last autumn in Astorga. I was actually glad there was no postre included, because just around the corner I picked up two Roscas Maragatas - rolled buttery sweetness!

plato c.jpgmenu.jpgroscas.jpg

Last edited:
An old Polish? Proverb. When travelling expect the worst and when the best happens (nearly always!) U are pleasantly surprized.
Oh and another also told to me in Poland. When travelling use your mouth and save your feet... especially relevant when walking a camino. Never be shy when u dont know the direction to walk. Bon camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've always translated that as the Menu del Dia is what the day deserves; and the Menu Peregrino is especially designed to take the Pilgrim to the next level of penitence....

An average 34 days of Menu Peregrino between Roncesvalles and Santiago and the average Pilgrim has indeed already done Purgatory ;)
Oh come on, they aren't THAT bad (although healthy they usually are not) and there's usually at least ice cream for postre choice although I get a piece of fruit if that's on offer instead.

Oh come on, they aren't THAT bad (although healthy they usually are not) and there's usually at least ice cream for postre choice although I get a piece of fruit if that's on offer instead.
I’m willing to agree that the average MP isn’t “THAT” bad- though to achieve an average we have to agree that some are simply disgusting. That said I am simply not prepared to walk through a country which, with the possible exceptions of Greece and Sicily, has the most complex and embrasive cuisines in Europe and eat two simple and one complex carbohydrates supplemented with a thin sheet of Lomo or the thigh of a Pollo beaten to translucence and then fried until it would serve for emergency shoe repair. Oh, sorry, I forgot the sliver of picked red pepper that may, possibly, contain an elemental trace of a vitamin. Ensalada Mixta? Well, at least you are taking on some fluid and a bit of fibre. 😉 Rant over, unless I accidentally kick off again but: the OP, our good friend @MARSKA is about to walk through the Pays Basques, Navarra, Rioja, Leon, Bierzo, Galicia and we are offering her tired reflections of Pizza Shed, McRonalds and “all you wish you hadn’t eaten, €10”.

Doesn’t anyone have a photo of the menu at Comosapiens or La Curiosa? I’d walk across northern Spain with a rucksack on my back just to eat in either

Ok, leg of lamb, ensalada with Galicia cheese, beef cheeks, 2 menu boards, pulpo and beer, home-made yogurt with walnuts and honey, another great salad, and a first dish of razor clams. All these were lunchtime menus in Galicia on the Camino this summer. Admittedly some were menu del dia quality, but all served right along the Camino in Galicia. All reasonably priced with wine and water included. I think one issue is that some pilgrims want something familiar and may go with the boring pilgrim fare because they don't want to take a risk on lamb, beef cheeks, 20230623_154056.jpgIMG-20230623-WA0002.jpeg20230622_152548.jpg20230621_152940.jpg20230621_150259.jpg

Attachments

• 20230628_154325.jpg
    20230628_154325.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 66
  • 20230623_152242.jpg
    20230623_152242.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20230623-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20230623-WA0004.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230621_150255.jpg
    20230621_150255.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 71
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I recommend Sarasate in Pamplona, even for non-vegans. Food is delicious!! I had squash “meatballs” yummmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
Yup, that’s what I said. The Menu del Dia will take you into a deep dive into an amazing cuisine (without a deep dive into your wallet). The MP will leave you safe, secure and disappointed 😉
The difference being--the Menu del Dia is what the locals like, and eat for an inexpensive main meal. It seems the MP is what they think foreign visitors on a low budget will prefer.

Oh wow! thanks so much! The reason I made this post was so I can begin to translate the menus. I'm taking 3hrs of Spanish language a day, but the instructors have neglected to include actual menus. Go figure!

Oh wow! thanks so much! The reason I made this post was so I can begin to translate the menus. I'm taking 3hrs of Spanish language a day, but the instructors have neglected to include actual menus. Go figure!
I did not need to do this (I speak Spanish) but you CAN use Google translate to help you with menus. If you have an android phone it is even easier but I only know what to do with an iPhone. Take a picture of the menu. Go to Google translate and click on images and then upload file and choose your photo from your camera library. Sometimes there will be a really strange “Google translate fail” but it usually works well enough. Also you can put the app Word Reference on your phone and look up individual words as needed. ¡Buen Camino!

I did not need to do this (I speak Spanish) but you CAN use Google translate to help you with menus. If you have an android phone it is even easier but I only know what to do with an iPhone. Take a picture of the menu. Go to Google translate and click on images and then upload file and choose your photo from your camera library. Sometimes there will be a really strange “Google translate fail” but it usually works well enough. Also you can put the app Word Reference on your phone and look up individual words as needed. ¡Buen Camino!
Make sure to download the Spanish language pack on Google Translate so that you can also use it offline.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While the "phony" (industrial pre made and frozen) Paella might not taste as good as a real Paella, it might be a valid choice for a meal in itself and can be quite OK in terms of taste. All depends on the alternatives.
Thanks for the replies. Now I rennet the signs.

I definitely had a good paella at Albergue La Morena in Lédigos along the Camino Francés (after Carrión de los Condes). It was a real paella and not just an “arroz con cosas,” and was done al dente as it should be. 🥘❤️🥰
View attachment 155651
I am certainly not impugning the quality of the paella pictured (and I would call it a paella) but the Valencian purists I know who toss around phrases like "real paella" and "arroz con cosas" would consider any rice dish with mariscos to be arroz con cosas.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Doesn’t anyone have a photo of the menu at Comosapiens or La Curiosa? I’d walk across northern Spain with a rucksack on my back just to eat in either
I was in Atapuerca a couple days ago and desperately wanted to eat at Comosapiens, but someone who had tagged onto our group said it was too expensive. We tried to go back, but they were closing. I was so sad eating awful pizza in another establishment.

Now I’m even more sad… 😢

Thanks @Tincatinker 😬

I was in Atapuerca a couple days ago and desperately wanted to eat at Comosapiens, but someone who had tagged onto our group said it was too expensive. We tried to go back, but they were closing. I was so sad eating awful pizza in another establishment.

Now I’m even more sad… 😢
I really wanted to eat there on my first Camino in 2016, but couldn't find anyone to join me. If it were now I'd just go alone.

I really wanted to eat there on my first Camino in 2016, but couldn't find anyone to join me. If it were now I'd just go alone.
I think we all realized too late that one person probably shouldn’t be able to veto what 3 other people want to do. I guess that’s a camino lesson? Missing out on an experience you want because you’re a lifetime people-pleaser?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Indeed! We should always follow , of course within our means, our personal preferences.
Last Saturday my two friends and I had a celebratory dinner at Michelin rated Casa Marcelo in Santiago and a sola peregrina was enjoying it very much. She even had the best place at the counter, next to the open kitchen!
🙂

Second one seems a little better, but those signs would mostly induce me to walk on by -- but in case of need, sure, the chicken lunch in the second example could be fine, though whether the vino is a copa or a jarra would be make or break, particularly in the event of a nearby supermercado.

First example for me would be outright no go. I simply cannot eat that kind of food.

Beware there is a huge difference between Menu del Dia and a Pilgrim Menu, both quality wise and price wise.
There are still a few places that sell a pilgrim menu that's pretty much the menú del día plus some arbitrary quantity in Euros, or smaller amount of food etc, though thankfully they're tending towards going away.

When it is too late for the menu del dia, a good option is ordering maybe two media raciones of some kind of tapa.
Last week on the Inglés we did that a couple of times.

Ok, leg of lamb, ensalada with Galicia cheese, beef cheeks, 2 menu boards, pulpo and beer, home-made yogurt with walnuts and honey, another great salad, and a first dish of razor clams. All these were lunchtime menus in Galicia on the Camino this summer. Admittedly some were menu del dia quality, but all served right along the Camino in Galicia. All reasonably priced with wine and water included. I think one issue is that some pilgrims want something familiar and may go with the boring pilgrim fare because they don't want to take a risk on lamb, beef cheeks, View attachment 155634View attachment 155636View attachment 155637View attachment 155638View attachment 155639
That's really not bad for Galicia, but those sorts of "short" menus still left me longing for Portugal or Castilia.

2 dish menus in Portugal are often fantastic, because they are frequently a brilliant combination of quality with quantity. Spaniards tend to spread the same purpose over three courses.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recommend Sarasate in Pamplona, even for non-vegans. Food is delicious!! I had squash “meatballs” yummmmmm
Sorry, but that sort of thing makes me *directly* ill -- not a comment about quality or anything, I'm sure the food is lovely (and I've cooked similar for vegans myself, minus any fake meat and so on), but I'm afraid it just isn't good for non-vegans indiscriminately.

I'm taking 3hrs of Spanish language a day, but the instructors have neglected to include actual menus. Go figure!
My Spanish is quite functional, but menus have a language of their own and always give me difficulty. Think of English menus that use various terms to add verbal zest to the choices, and there are regional differences in names for foods. At least I am able to ask what a menu item really means - I don't always understand the answer, but can get some clues!

So, a “traditional country pub” advertising “local” game in its “Summer” menu reacted with puzzlement when I asked if it was illegally shot or locally frozen.
When Betty in the Newport at Braishfield, sadly both long gone, was asked what was in the stew she hesitated before replying “most things really”.
If you want to eat well in Spain eat where and when the local population does. If you just want sufficient, absorbable, calories to get you through another days hiking you’ll find yourself well catered on that 0.5km strip that is the road to glory

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, a “traditional country pub” advertising “local” game in its “Summer” menu reacted with puzzlement when I asked if it was illegally shot or locally frozen.
When Betty in the Newport at Braishfield, sadly both long gone, was asked what was in the stew she hesitated before replying “most things really”.
If you want to eat well in Spain eat where and when the local population does. If you just want sufficient, absorbable, calories to get you through another days hiking you’ll find yourself well catered on that 0.5km strip that is the road to glory

I once was served an exquisite piece of slowly cooked pork belly. I asked the owner /chef what marinade he used and how he got it so soft...
He answered me : " Euh it is meat and I slowly cook it ".

Now I’m even more sad… 😢

Thanks @Tincatinker 😬
It really is not too expensive—it is more than a menú del día but and the food is marvelous. it was 20€ for their menú. It will have to be a reason to go back and do another Camino. 😂 I know the feeling about missing out on a special restaurant and eating awful pizza instead, that happened to me a bit later on my journey.

Attachments

• IMG_6769.jpeg
    IMG_6769.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
It really is not too expensive—it is more than a menú del día but and the food is marvelous. it was 20€ for their menú. It will have to be a reason to go back and do another Camino. 😂 I know the feeling about missing out on a special restaurant and eating awful pizza instead, that happened to me a bit later on my journey.
It was 35€ this past weekend - but still looked like it would’ve been well worth it! We walked through cold wind and rain and the thought of hot tomato basil soup was so inviting! And I agree, not too much - though I understand some pilgrims have a far tighter budget than others. I know I’m quite fortunate in that regard.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I remember a character from Terry Pratchetts Discworld series that roamed the streets selling sausages in a bun with lots of "animal" inside. It was never exactly specified what animal and what parts...

Buen Camino todos!
Hi
Only 15 days until I begin! I'm practicing 'chocolate calliente'; vino tinto; 'donde es el supermercado por favor?' and such like, and am looking forward to walking in the footsteps of all the pilgrims who have paved the way, and to everything that I encounter on the path.
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have said more than once on this Forum that I am a foodie. There are at least 100 restaurants on or near the CF that would qualify as world class eateries. Why on earth would anyone walk the Camino and try to do their dining on a budget?

Can't eat that stuff either.

I *have* paid that much for a meal on Camino ; but for high quality (and quantity) simplicity and good tinto after too many days of supermercado food, not for over-excited "creations".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember a character from Terry Pratchetts Discworld series that roamed the streets selling sausages in a bun with lots of "animal" inside. It was never exactly specified what animal and what parts...
That would be CMOT (Cut Me Own Throat) Dibbler, so called because he says his prices are so low he is "cutting his own throat". I happen to have the tee shirt. :)
20230905_201238.jpg

Wow that's a lot of learning of Spanish! Well done you! Thank you for your question as it's very good to get a feel for these things before we hit the ground. I tend to be a picky eater and may be challenged (positively) along the Way. I've been learning through Duolingo and surprised at what I can read already.

Speaking of learning Spanish, do you know where I can find recordings of very simple spoken Spanish conversations? (sorry don't mean to digress from your main conversation).

€46,-
Wow that's a lot of learning of Spanish! Well done you! Thank you for your question as it's very good to get a feel for these things before we hit the ground. I tend to be a picky eater and may be challenged (positively) along the Way. I've been learning through Duolingo and surprised at what I can read already.

Speaking of learning Spanish, do you know where I can find recordings of very simple spoken Spanish conversations? (sorry don't mean to digress from your main conversation).
Nothing specific but check out YouTube!

A photo of Paella from a restaurant in Cascais

Attachments

• IMG_5260.jpg
    IMG_5260.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 58

A photo of Paella from a restaurant in Cascais
Judging from the (small-ish) photo, not a Paella. The pan is to deep, the moisture content to high. Looks to me like what they called "Arroz Meloso con Bogavante" in Fisterra, not sure if thats a universal term or if they call it something else elsewhere.

Arroz Meloso con Bogavante:

1694080332775.jpeg

Paella:
1694080416488.png

€149,-
Judging from the (small-ish) photo, not a Paella.
Paella is defined by recipe, not volume.

And I'm sure that many places cook it in large volumes, then serve it in smaller ones.

Paella is defined by recipe, not volume.

And I'm sure that many places cook it in large volumes, then serve it in smaller ones.
I was saying the foto was small, hence difficult to tell exactly. And while it should be true that it is defined by recipe, it will most definitely not be a paella if it is made in a large batch and served in portions. (There will be occasions where you buy a "racion de paella" but if you order a "paella" you should get a dish that has been cooked in the pan in which it is served)

I was saying the foto was small, hence difficult to tell exactly. And while it should be true that it is defined by recipe, it will most definitely not be a paella if it is made in a large batch and served in portions. (There will be occasions where you buy a "racion de paella" but if you order a "paella" you should get a dish that has been cooked in the pan in which it is served)
Nope. Not so. Never. For a start Paella is indeed the name of the cooking vessel not the dish. Even in Valencia the dish is cooked in huge paella and served in portions. A table of 10 might get the pan plonked in front of them and then be left to fend for themselves. A table of two will get portions on a plate. In the rougher and readier places you might just get the plate. You walk up to the fire and nod. And nod again when your wrist starts feeling the strain.

Portion controlled paella in it’s pretty little pan? You’ll be lucky if its not still frozen in the middle even as it sizzles

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
it will most definitely not be a paella if it is made in a large batch and served in portions
This I most certainly do not agree with.

Good paella is from a single pan. But marketplace street food paella made in large quantity and served in portions is still paella.

It is no different in principle from family gathering paella in large quantity and made with love.

I doubt that your suggestion of definitely not paella would have carried much weight with the cooks of my one school year in Catalonia about 50 years ago, when they would occasionally serve it in portions to some dozens of we local school children as made by a local restaurant ...

@JabbaPapa & @Tincatinker : A portion is called a "racion". You order a racion, you get a racion. You order a paella, you should get a dish thats cooked in the pan in which it is served. At some festivities (edit: or school) it might be explained thru context in which you order, so they don't write down the word racion, but if you sit down in a restaurant, order a paella, get a paella pan and get a dish that was not cooked in said pan, you did not get a paella. Period.

Asides from that, all of this discussion has nothing to do with the reasons i said the posted foto was likely not a paella.

Never found anything "spicy" , found some a bit bland, some very good but all very welcome after a long walk

Attachments

• 20190620_194438.jpg
    20190620_194438.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20190620_200302.jpg
    20190620_200302.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20190620_202245.jpg
    20190620_202245.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • 20190624_162011.jpg
    20190624_162011.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

Buen Camino todos!
O ly 1 week to go! Spanish food is not Mexican food. The Spanish think of papas bravas as spicy, in my estimation it is about as mild as fry sauce! Depending on where you start, paella will be common or pulpo. I try as often as possible to eat as a communal meal. Cheap eats but nice to meet other pilgrims, especially over a couple of bottles of “new” wine.

Buen Camino todos!
Relax, enjoy, try new thing things, let spontaneity be your guide.

if you sit down in a restaurant, order a paella, get a paella pan and get a dish that was not cooked in said pan, you did not get a paella. Period.
o_O

https://dle.rae.es/paella

paella
Del valenciano paella.

1. f. Plato de arroz seco, con carne, pescado, mariscos, legumbres, etc., característico de la región valenciana, en España.

2. f. Sartén en que se hace la paella.

I think you're confusing 2 with 1.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paella

En español, la palabra paella se usa sobre todo para la receta, mientras que para el recipiente típicamente usado para cocinarla (sartén ancha con dos asas) se suele decir paellera y más raramente también paella.

And ...

1200x680_sc_gettyimages-1272861078.jpg

So, if you get some of this on a plate or a little takeaway container it's not paella, but if they serve you this entire thing on your table, then it is ?

Sorry, but that makes no sense.

Last edited:
O ly 1 week to go! Spanish food is not Mexican food. The Spanish think of papas bravas as spicy, in my estimation it is about as mild as fry sauce! Depending on where you start, paella will be common or pulpo. I try as often as possible to eat as a communal meal. Cheap eats but nice to meet other pilgrims, especially over a couple of bottles of “new” wine.

There is a variation on the bravas sauce and that is mojo picon which is typical for the Canary Islands.
We had it last week in Ferrol and it was very nice.

PICTURES INCLUDE 1) octopus from someone’s garage grill on a Sunday in Palas de Rei 2-3) Tapas from a local place place in SdC. Great monk fish from a upscale restaurant in SdC.

SPICY? I don’t like spicy food in general. You won’t have any problem finding simple tasty food.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Restaurante San Clemente last week in Santiago.
My starter was Grelos con chorizo.
Dessert tarta de queso.

20230901_144622.jpg20230901_155025.jpg20230901_145309.jpg

Last edited:

€83,-
Yummy photos, @SabsP. I've stayed at the San Clemente hotel a few years ago and ate at their restaurant because we were given a ticket for a free drink.🙂 I think I only ordered tapas though to save a few $.

€83,-
I have said more than once on this Forum that I am a foodie. There are at least 100 restaurants on or near the CF that would qualify as world class eateries. Why on earth would anyone walk the Camino and try to do their dining on a budget?

Many Pilgrims do have a limited budget........
But good food is not something this chubby Pilgrim will skimp on ;)

Only phony in the sense that the paella is all premade, and not "authentic" paella freshly cooked at the restaurant. The vegetable paella can be a good choice for vegetarians and vegans though. According to this article by @Wendy Werneth it has no animal products in it.
The first time I saw that I was fairly surprised. How can a paella be vegan or vegetarian?

I will always wondering if the paella on the Caminos in Spain are ever fully authentic, made from scratch.🤔
Which Camino ?

As to the Francès, I'd say not !! It's actually easier to get a ... vaguely ... acceptable fresh-made paella on the Provençal Way in South-Eastern France than on the Francès -- but then there are the Catalàn, Sureste, Levante, and other such regional Ways that would blast such inferior ersatz rice dishes into oblivion !!

I really *do* miss my mum's gorgeous chicken, mushrooms, and juvenile white onion paella though ... similar as a risotto is all I'm capable of, and it's quite inferior.

The first time I saw that I was fairly surprised. How can a paella be vegan or vegetarian?
Basic paella is method + rice + olive oil + typical (vegetable) spices + other ingredients.

A classic Valenciano one will never be vegetarian let alone vegan, but vegetarian paella variants do exist. Heavy on the various peppers as I understand ? Never eaten the vegetarian variants of the stuff, so happy for better description from those who have ...

Last edited:
Tortilla de Patatas a la Española is fantastic, though I'd never make tortilla de patatas myself unless it were in the Catalàn manner, which looks nothing like that.

Learned it from my mother, who learned it from the village shop, in Valldoreix, near Barcelona, and on one of the many variants of the Camino up to Montserrat (Valldoreix is next to Sant Cugat).

This version is wet inside, and made with a respectable amount of ground black pepper. (Leftovers some hours later are quite dry, and more like a normal Española -- but flavour and texture even so remain distinct ; had a small portion in Girona on my last Camino in 2019, dry not wet sadly, but flavour was like my mum's.)

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.