• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Camino Summary ( 6 or 7th time!)

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
Camino Sept 23 Summary
I stated on sept 12 and arrived at SdC on 3 oct. Walked the Camino Madrid, then the Frances between Sahagun and Leon before walking up to La Robla on the Salvador and then turning west on the Olvidado to Villafranca to finish on the Frances. Now relaxing in St Martin de Pinario.
The end of a Camino is always a little unsettling. You have just spent the last few weeks simply walking. I generally walk for around 7 to 8 hours and frequently just drink water in that time and maybe have a light snack and some fruit. Then the first day after you get to SdC there is a good breakfast to eat and by the time you have finished you realise that ‘normally’ you would have already walked almost 10km. It feels strange to not be doing it. It is part of the reason why I like to have at least 1 full day in SdC to try to reset. I have spent the morning strolling around and getting the bits I want to take home. Had a wonderful light lunch of a variety of tapas and now enjoying a glass of white wine in the sunshine. The Camino is a strange experience- especially for those walking the first time. Often this will be the Frances and it will take 30 plus days to get here. You can see by the look on the faces of the pilgrims when they finally arrive the mix of strong emotions. It definitely gets to you. And for many the urge to repeat is strong! If you enjoy challenges, in every sense of the word, combined with day after day of ‘mindfulness’ then it is to be recommended. I have seen plenty of changes on the Camino since my first one 12 years ago. The Frances is much busier and better served. Other routes are also getting more popular. A few of my favourite places in SdC no longer exist, inc my favourite bar and favourite deli. On the plus side most Spanish cities, towns and villages are now much cleaner and in fact much better than those in U.K. In addition, the Spanish places are now much more pedestrian friendly. Vehicles, and bikes, absolutely stop at pedestrian crossings and they are across most roads. At home it is not even safe to be on the pedestrian crossing in my village.

Is this my last one? Possibly, it’s harder to find routes that avoid all or most of the Frances. Moreover, on the less walked routes it seems even harder to find a decent meal on the way. In fact the food quality and just as importantly, the wine quality has declined. I have had some outstanding, but often, simple meals on my Caminos but these were very few this time. I still love the physical and mental challenge and find I walk as far each day as I have ever had. The people you meet, both peregrinos and locals are as great as ever so who knows what will happen in the future. Ultreia!

P.S. I think we need and induction course for first time peregrinos. It should inc how to get up in an Albergue in the morning without making a noise or using a torch. How to let your eyes adjust to low light levels for those early morning starts - you really do not need a torch, especially when there is a full moon and street lights! In addition, if you really absolutely have to use sticks to walk (never understood why as I learnt to walk without aids at quite an early age) then please use rubber tips. Lastly, you phone does have a microphone and amplifier so there is no need to shout at it whilst holding is an arms length from you ears. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Easy. Pack up before you go to bed and only leave out exactly what you need overnight. Ideally, leave you rucksack outside the dormitory. Then when you wake up, get up grab your bedding and leave the dormitory. Go to the public area where you left your bag and then get ready. Very easy really and no need to disturb others plus you can get ready in comfort with the lights on.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mobile phones on the Frances became an issue for me. Some pilgrims think it's OK to set their alarm to get up, even if it's very early and even if it means waking up everyone else in the room! It got the better of me finally, one morning at 5 a.m. at one hostel, so I let fly and told a couple of young lads what is good etiquette and what it means to be "considerate" of your fellow pilgrims. Very unsettling. In all other respects, it was a fantastic walk this time as it was the last time.

Easy. Pack up before you go to bed and only leave out exactly what you need overnight. Ideally, leave you rucksack outside the dormitory. Then when you wake up, get up grab your bedding and leave the dormitory. Go to the public area where you left your bag and then get ready. Very easy really and no need to disturb others plus you can get ready in comfort with the lights on.
Yep. I tried that. Left out toothbrush. Comb, meds, water, earplugs. Phone, phone charger, cash & important documents stayed with me always, clothes for the next day & for midnight runs to the bathroom.
I had a hard time locating and gathering those "essentials" quietly in the dark.

I was always so impressed by those who just disappeared in the morning.

I stayed in a few albergues this year that gave everyone a bin to put the things that they would need during the night, and there was a place or locker for the backpack. It made packing up quietly much easier.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Sept 23 Summary
I stated on sept 12 and arrived at SdC on 3 oct. Walked the Camino Madrid, then the Frances between Sahagun and Leon before walking up to La Robla on the Salvador and then turning west on the Olvidado to Villafranca to finish on the Frances. Now relaxing in St Martin de Pinario.
The end of a Camino is always a little unsettling. You have just spent the last few weeks simply walking. I generally walk for around 7 to 8 hours and frequently just drink water in that time and maybe have a light snack and some fruit. Then the first day after you get to SdC there is a good breakfast to eat and by the time you have finished you realise that ‘normally’ you would have already walked almost 10km. It feels strange to not be doing it. It is part of the reason why I like to have at least 1 full day in SdC to try to reset. I have spent the morning strolling around and getting the bits I want to take home. Had a wonderful light lunch of a variety of tapas and now enjoying a glass of white wine in the sunshine. The Camino is a strange experience- especially for those walking the first time. Often this will be the Frances and it will take 30 plus days to get here. You can see by the look on the faces of the pilgrims when they finally arrive the mix of strong emotions. It definitely gets to you. And for many the urge to repeat is strong! If you enjoy challenges, in every sense of the word, combined with day after day of ‘mindfulness’ then it is to be recommended. I have seen plenty of changes on the Camino since my first one 12 years ago. The Frances is much busier and better served. Other routes are also getting more popular. A few of my favourite places in SdC no longer exist, inc my favourite bar and favourite deli. On the plus side most Spanish cities, towns and villages are now much cleaner and in fact much better than those in U.K. In addition, the Spanish places are now much more pedestrian friendly. Vehicles, and bikes, absolutely stop at pedestrian crossings and they are across most roads. At home it is not even safe to be on the pedestrian crossing in my village.

Is this my last one? Possibly, it’s harder to find routes that avoid all or most of the Frances. Moreover, on the less walked routes it seems even harder to find a decent meal on the way. In fact the food quality and just as importantly, the wine quality has declined. I have had some outstanding, but often, simple meals on my Caminos but these were very few this time. I still love the physical and mental challenge and find I walk as far each day as I have ever had. The people you meet, both peregrinos and locals are as great as ever so who knows what will happen in the future. Ultreia!

P.S. I think we need and induction course for first time peregrinos. It should inc how to get up in an Albergue in the morning without making a noise or using a torch. How to let your eyes adjust to low light levels for those early morning starts - you really do not need a torch, especially when there is a full moon and street lights! In addition, if you really absolutely have to use sticks to walk (never understood why as I learnt to walk without aids at quite an early age) then please use rubber tips. Lastly, you phone does have a microphone and amplifier so there is no need to shout at it whilst holding is an arms length from you ears. Buen Camino.

Nice, what is your plan for New Year's weekend? Having tried many paper writing services before, I can say with confidence that this https://domypaper.com/ site write my papers online and this is second to none. The commitment to originality is commendable and the use of top-notch SSL encryption for personal data provides an extra layer of protection. Initially, I was attracted by the low prices, but it is the consistent quality and dedication to excellence that keeps me coming back. If you are facing academic stress and looking for dependable help, look no further than this service. This service has drastically decreased my academic stress and improved my overall experience.
Nice, what is your plan for New Year's weekend?

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back