• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A BIG thank you to Rebekah Scott and Patrick!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I needed to stop my Camino for family reasons ++, and had a hard time in Carrion de los Condes on my logististics. Then I just started walking towards Sahagun, the nearest town with a railway station... Going along, I came to think of the Peaceable Kingdom, their place in Moratines, just some 10 kms from Sahagun: Maybe they could help? (the phone no. is in the CSJ guide). I called while on the way, and 20 kms later I was warmly received, got my flight reservation and most other stuff sorted out, enjoyed a good meal and conversation.

Next morning Reb took me to Sahagun by car. I am now home, and all is sorted out. I may need to depend on them once more in order to restart from Moratinos. A warm and heartful thanks to both of you.

Only one more thing: If you plan on visiting, make sure to bring a good ration of choriso with you: Fried, it will do well with a tortilla, but most of all, their dogs will just love you for your treat!:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Talk about silver linings -- getting to spend time at the Peaceable is always a treat, and now you will have to go back again to restart!

Hope all is ok for you, Alex. Buen camino, Laurie

Can anyone tell me whether the Peaceable Kingdom is an albergue, an overflow albergue, or one of those mythical places like the Last Homely House which only the fortunate few ever find their way to, or all of the above? I had heard rumours of its existence on this forum, but lacking specific directions could not find my way to it in Moratinos. Furthermore, I was dubious about my welcome. I'd love to know more.

I'm glad it worked out for you Alex and that things are sorted out now.

Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can anyone tell me whether the Peaceable Kingdom is an albergue, an overflow albergue, or one of those mythical places like the Last Homely House which only the fortunate few ever find their way to, or all of the above?

All of the above @Albertagirl. And you would have to try very, very hard to not be welcomed there. The Peaceable is just off Camino as you go through Moratinos & not far from Bruno's Albergue. Any of the locals will give you a steer if you ask for Rebekah & Paddy's casa.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Darn, I just walked by there! I would have loved to have taken their dogs some chorizo, not to mention meet Rebekah...

I needed to stop my Camino for family reasons ++, and had a hard time in Carrion de los Condes on my logististics. Then I just started walking towards Sahagun, the nearest town with a railway station... Going along, I came to think of the Peaceable Kingdom, their place in Moratines, just some 10 kms from Sahagun: Maybe they could help? (the phone no. is in the CSJ guide). I called while on the way, and 20 kms later I was warmly received, got my flight reservation and most other stuff sorted out, enjoyed a good meal and conversation.

Next morning Reb took me to Sahagun by car. I am now home, and all is sorted out. I may need to depend on them once more in order to restart from Moratinos. A warm and heartful thanks to both of you.

Only one more thing: If you plan on visiting, make sure to bring a good ration of choriso with you: Fried, it will do well with a tortilla, but most of all, their dogs will just love you for your treat!:)

Rebecca also rescued me one year. She and Patrick are greatly appreciated for all they do. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Can anyone tell me whether the Peaceable Kingdom is an albergue, an overflow albergue, or one of those mythical places like the Last Homely House which only the fortunate few ever find their way to, or all of the above? I had heard rumours of its existence on this forum, but lacking specific directions could not find my way to it in Moratinos. Furthermore, I was dubious about my welcome. I'd love to know more.
It is two people (have to call them mayores ;)) who live on the Camino and have decided to help pilgrims as a part of their retirement. It is not an albergue in the common meaning, but they have open doors for 3-4 who come by. Or people like me, who know they are there and maybe can provide some assistance. They claim to be donativo (give what you can), but as you may know, that does NOT mean gratis: You give what you normally do, preferably more, to compensate for the freeriders (just MHO). It is not easy to find the place; it is at the end of the village, opposite the Camino; so you sort of have to know where to go: No signage pointing to the house. Maybe a wise move... ;)

And again; choriso is important: Next time, I'll bring double rations, because the love received from the dogs, especially the little bonita, was priceless. :);)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

The Peaceable Kingdom is a private home, actually a more than 600 year-old Mozarabic hacienda, with one meter thick adobe walls. Retired newspaper folks Rebekah Scott and her husband Paddy (Patrick) O'Gara live there and are genuine "Camino Angels" of the first order. Throughout my life, I have never met anyone with as much Christian charity and compassion just oozing from every pore. Paddy is also quite an accomplished, though as yet unheralded, expressionist painter. He demurs when I praise his talent, but he is very GOOD.

They are VERY active in all things Camino-related. Rebekah, when not working on her next great novel, works with the Camino Chaplaincy program out of Santiago, to help reestablish Catholic Churches closed along the Camino. During the summer, if a Catholic priest can be arranged, I think she has him living in an attached flat at her home to provide Catholic sacraments to the villagers, as well as to all pilgrims passing through. Rebekah also coordinates projects with the Pilgrim House, also in Santiago.

One of Rebekah's pet projects has been to resurrect the ancient "hospital" or albergue at the ruins of the San Anton Monastery, located just before Castrojeriz (see Brierley stage 14). Over the past two years, she has raised money and has been receiving pilgrims at this ancient site. She coordinates finding volunteer hospitaleros as well. The facilities are basic, but the experience is genuine and authentic.

In addition, each autumn Rebekah and Paddy host the "Ditch Pigs" at their home. The "Ditch Pigs" are an ad hoc group of Camino addicts who come together from all over the world to pick up trash along stretches of the Camino, especially along the Meseta, which is where Moratinos is located. She identifies a stretch that needs a pick up, and the "Pigs" do the rest. I missed it last year, due to a move, but I hope to participate this year.

Moratinos is located some 31 kilometers West of Carrion de los Condes, and about nine kilometers East of Sahagun. If you look for it using Google Maps, you need to expand the page, or you will miss it. To say it is small is an understatement.

There is one albergue (San Bruno) and one hostal in Moratinos. It is Rebekah and Paddy's practice to welcome a limited number of pilgrims into their home when the local albergue is "completo." The senora at the albergue will usually take the overflow pilgrims in-hand down the street to Rebekah's and present them. At other times, the overflow folks are given directions. Either way, they are greeted with a smile and generosity. They do this for free but graciously accept donativo contributions to their unique ministry.

Many times, pilgrims passing by, will simply stop by and ring the bell, to say hello, and receive cold refreshments and pleasant conversation before pressing on to Sahagun for the evening. Mind her menagerie of dogs though. They DO love their dogs, and there are usually half a dozen or so. They are all friendly, but full of energy.

Rebekah has more friends from around the world than you can imagine. They do tend to come by, when in the neighborhood...

So, if you have the privilege of meeting Rebekah and Paddy in their hacienda, the Peaceable kingdom, DO be generous...VERY generous...

Oh, and before I forget, here is Rebekah's blog: http://moratinoslife.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps.

The Peaceable Kingdom is a private home, actually a more than 600 year-old Mozarabic hacienda, with one meter thick adobe walls. Retired newspaper folks Rebekah Scott and her husband Paddy (Patrick) O'Gara live there and are genuine "Camino Angels" of the first order. Throughout my life, I have never met anyone with as much Christian charity and compassion just oozing from every pore. Paddy is also quite an accomplished, though as yet unheralded, expressionist painter. He demurs when I praise his talent, but he is very GOOD.

They are VERY active in all things Camino-related. Rebekah, when not working on her next great novel, works with the Camino Chaplaincy program out of Santiago, to help reestablish Catholic Churches closed along the Camino. During the summer, if a Catholic priest can be arranged, I think she has him living in an attached flat at her home to provide Catholic sacraments to the villagers, as well as to all pilgrims passing through. Rebekah also coordinates projects with the Pilgrim House, also in Santiago.

One of Rebekah's pet projects has been to resurrect the ancient "hospital" or albergue at the ruins of the San Anton Monastery, located just before Castrojeriz (see Brierley stage 14). Over the past two years, she has raised money and has been receiving pilgrims at this ancient site. She coordinates finding volunteer hospitaleros as well. The facilities are basic, but the experience is genuine and authentic.

In addition, each autumn Rebekah and Paddy host the "Ditch Pigs" at their home. The "Ditch Pigs" are an ad hoc group of Camino addicts who come together from all over the world to pick up trash along stretches of the Camino, especially along the Meseta, which is where Moratinos is located. She identifies a stretch that needs a pick up, and the "Pigs" do the rest. I missed it last year, due to a move, but I hope to participate this year.

Moratinos is located some 31 kilometers West of Carrion de los Condes, and about nine kilometers East of Sahagun. If you look for it using Google Maps, you need to expand the page, or you will miss it. To say it is small is an understatement.

There is one albergue (San Bruno) and one hostal in Moratinos. It is Rebekah and Paddy's practice to welcome a limited number of pilgrims into their home when the local albergue is "completo." The senora at the albergue will usually take the overflow pilgrims in-hand down the street to Rebekah's and present them. At other times, the overflow folks are given directions. Either way, they are greeted with a smile and generosity. They do this for free but graciously accept donativo contributions to their unique ministry.

Many times, pilgrims passing by, will simply stop by and ring the bell, to say hello, and receive cold refreshments and pleasant conversation before pressing on to Sahagun for the evening. Mind her menagerie of dogs though. They DO love their dogs, and there are usually half a dozen or so. They are all friendly, but full of energy.

Rebekah has more friends from around the world than you can imagine. They do tend to come by, when in the neighborhood...

So, if you have the privilege of meeting Rebekah and Paddy in their hacienda, the Peaceable kingdom, DO be generous...VERY generous...

Oh, and before I forget, here is Rebekah's blog: http://moratinoslife.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps.
t2andreo:
I just opened the blog and the first thing that I noticed was a sign saying, "Stop sending money." I looked for the Peaceable Kingdom when I walked through Moratinos last fall, but I did not see it on the camino. As it was not in Brierley, I did not want to presume to walk up to someone's home just to introduce myself, and in any case I did not know where it was. I am impressed by all that they do for pilgrims, and I hope that I have made that known to them by posting here. As I walk in the fall, it is unlikely that I shall need their assistance as an overflow albergue, but I shall look hopefully for St Anton if it is still open in October. I was sorry that it was not open last fall, but can understand that hospitaleros are not always available and the biggest need is in the summer. I shall also look for Domus dei at Foncebadon. to admire the new mattresses and possibly occupy one for a night. I have great admiration for Rebekah's initiatives on the camino and would love to have the chance to tell her so in person.

Heavens. Amazing how a simple reality can blow up into all kinds of legendary-looking stuff.
I do not do any more than the usual Church-Lady volunteer does at your neighborhood charity shelter, I only do it in a unique place in the world. I try to do what Jesus commanded in the Gospels: "Feed my lambs." What St. Benedict wrote in his Rule: "Open the doors." And what St. Francis summed-up so well: "It is in giving that we receive."
It is very, very rewarding. If we didn't like doing this, we would stop.
Anyone passing is welcome. You don't have to phone ahead.
We don't advertise or list ourselves or put up arrows to our house, because we like to leave things up to random chance, or need. We don't want to attract curiosity-seekers or undue attention. We are not a business, we are happy with the number of people who find their way to us.
And we really do not want to take your money. If you give to someone and expect something back, that's a transaction, not a gift. Still it's true: people are amazingly generous to us. That's why we head up these fund-raisers -- we all have more than we need ourselves, and we can afford to help out those who have a lot less.
You can do this at home, people. This is not an exclusively Camino phenomenon, (although hospitality and generosity are old-time Camino ethos.) All you gotta do is see the need, and step up to meet it.

Now you can stop making me blush!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Heavens. Amazing how a simple reality can blow up into all kinds of legendary-looking stuff.
I do not do any more than the usual Church-Lady volunteer does at your neighborhood charity shelter, I only do it in a unique place in the world. I try to do what Jesus commanded in the Gospels: "Feed my lambs." What St. Benedict wrote in his Rule: "Open the doors." And what St. Francis summed-up so well: "It is in giving that we receive."
We don't advertise or list ourselves or put up arrows to our house, because we like to leave things up to random chance, or need. We don't want to attract curiosity-seekers or undue attention. We are not a business, we are happy with the number of people who find their way to us.
And we really do not want to take your money. If you give to someone and expect something back, that's a transaction, not a gift. Still it's true: people are amazingly generous to us. That's why we head up these fund-raisers -- we all have more than we need ourselves, and we can afford to help out those who have a lot less.
You can do this at home, people. This is not an exclusively Camino phenomenon, (although hospitality and generosity are old-time Camino ethos.) All you gotta do is see the need, and step up to meet it.

Rebekah,
We have lots of Church-Lady volunteers at my church and I am one of them. I visit people in hospital, have worked at a church shelter, and right now I am involved in our biggest current ministry, trying to help our new refugee population from Syria learn English. This is what people do when they are Christians, hence the many wonderful parish albergues on the camino, and the people who volunteer in them. But by becoming a Camino Busybody" and the face of various fund raisers, you have made yourself visible to us pilgrim passers-by. It seems to work to get things done, so that is great. Although I have not stayed in any of the three albergues with which you are associated, I am touched that someone would be active in seeing that pilgrims like myself have a roof over our heads. But I am very shy, so am most unlikely to show up on your doorstep demanding an introduction to the celebrity hospitalera. If I should chance to do so, I guarantee that you can put me to work on the spot. Blessings for your good work,
Mary Louise

Key chica! If the halo fits, wear it...with pride!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, Reb, both of you provided a sanctuary of help to me in my need: I sincerely thank you for that. And I suspect the dogs have a fond memory of me..Paddy was very surprised that the little bonita just placed herself on my lap in the morning.. Unfortunately, all my choriso wast spent in the evening...;)

Last edited:
I just spent a few minutes extolling the many many ways in which Reb has helped the camino and has helped me. Then I thought it was a bit too personal to post here, so I sent it to her as a PM. Let's just leave it at -- Rebekah and Paddy embody everything good about the Camino, stuff that is too often getting pushed aside with the explosive growth of commodification and commercialization. She is fighting the good fight to preserve the Camino as many of us remember it, if anyone can do it, Reb and FICS can!

I'm hoping to stop in and see them next spring.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back