• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino A Christmas Camino

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Hi fellow peregrin@s! I gave up on FindPenguins and will instead try to post here about my little Christmas Camino on the Portugues de la Costa. :)

IMG_20231222_170156.jpg

Greetings from A Guarda/La Guardia! It has been a bright sunny day! I decided to start my camino on the border with Portugal. Just got my first stamps.

IMG_20231222_180022.jpg
Both albergues in town are closed, so I am staying in hotel Bruselas. Got a nice big room.

It will be my first winter camino. I am prepared for rain, but so far I seem to be really lucky with the weather. Let's wait and see...

Yesterday I spent the night in Santiago. The city was so different without pilgrims! Really nice, families and groups of friends in the streets, children running around.

IMG_20231221_210457.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino Peregrina
What was your intentions to walk the camino at christmas time ?
Let us participate
A combination of factors. The Portugues was on my list, but I have been reluctant because of the crowds. Hence walking in winter. I am a freelancer and the Christmas hoildays work well to take days off, because my clients do the same. And I thought it must be kind of special to walk this time of the year.

Day 1: A Guarda - Mougas

When I said goodbye this morning, the owner of hotel Bruselas asked me to pass on a message to Saint James: to send her many pilgrims. And if that wasn't possible, to send her the money instead. 😅

IMG_20231223_101150.jpg

Bright blue sky when I walked out of A Guarda. A bit of a cold wind, but what a bliss.

And a heavy pack. Winter gear, but I also stocked up on food at the supermarket in A Guarda. That turned out to be a great idea. I have seen nothing open on the way. No bar, no shop, no restaurant, no bakery, nada de nada.

IMG_20231223_101944.jpg

I met only one other pilgrim, a (fellow) Dutch cyclist. He was doing the Camino in reverse and then going further down south. He said that he saw a couple of other pilgrims in between A Guarda and Vigo, so there must be more people on the road.

IMG_20231223_140905.jpg

I booked a room ahead in A Casa de Florinda, the only option I could find. It is a village house with 2 bedrooms about 1 km from the Camino. Livingroom, kitchen and bathrooms are shared. But I am the only one here.

All great. I am laying on the couch now while my laundry hangs to dry in front of the fireplace. Happy that I put a few freeze dried meals in my pack.

IMG_20231223_183011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Luka,
It makes us want to return and be there walking the Camino once again. We look forward to your updates and photographs, they are fantastic. Sending you warm wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year on the Camino.
M&M

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very best wishes for a Buen Camino Christmas, looks like we are many following you with interest. Keep safe and have a wonderful and blessed time.

Day 2: Mougás - Sabarís

IMG_20231224_211140.jpg

I stayed under my duvet and downed a few cups of tea before I had the courage to go outside. Beautiful sunny days mean cold mornings. And why hurry anyway?

IMG_20231224_211217.jpg

Day 2 started with another couple of kms following the yellow concrete road. I had forgotten about all the asphalt on an average Camino. My knees and hips complained (and well, so did I). Fortunately the asphalt was alternated by beautiful coastal paths and a nice climb into a forest.

IMG_20231224_211342.jpg

Still no other pilgrims in sight. And nothing open until Baiona. That beautiful fisherman town was full of life and I sat happily down on a terrace, watching some locals getting drunk and seagulls stealing my croissant.

In the albergue Playa de Sabaris I met the first other pilgrim. A shy girl who immediately retired to her bunkbed.

As it is Christmas Eve and a Sunday I expected I would have to open another freeze dried meal. But there happened to be an open Carrefour at 1 km from the albergue. Lucky me!

IMG_20231224_211416.jpg

So Christmas dinner was a microwaved fresh pasta with broccoli and cheese. Not bad!

Sorry, no photos. A moderator reminded me to upload downsized photos or thumbnails and both options don't seem possible on my mobile phone...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry, no photos. A moderator reminded me to upload downsized photos or thumbnails and both options don't seem possible on my mobile phone...
@Luka, I always take a screenshot of any pictures I want to use on the forum. It "dumbs them down" a bit, and I think that would work for you, too...worth a try!

Thanks for the tip! I think it works, but it is also quite a bit of extra work.
Your pictures are very nice! Yes, it's a bit more work, unfortunately. You should be able to choose the "thumbnail" option instead of "full size". They can be enlarged by people wanting to take a closer look.
Also, you can add in a space between each photo...I see you have now done that.👍

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you want the photos inserted within the text paragraphs, they can be re-sized on a computer by dragging the corners. I'm not sure about on a phone. If you don't mind having them all at the bottom of the post, you can just insert and then delete the full size images if they have loaded. Then you should see the thumbnails at the bottom. However, this can get complicated on a phone. At the moment, though, we seem to be doing fine!

Merry Christmas for tomorrow!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 3: Sabaris - Vigo

Woken up by the cleaning lady at 9.00am. The owner told us last night we could sleep in and leave at 10.00am. But she forgot to tell the cleaning lady. I hastely packed my bag and had a quick breakfast of fruits on a bench. It was still cold outside but the sun helped.

IMG_20231225_215721.jpg

I chose the coastal option today and was really happy with my choice. Beaches, lots of beaches. People strolling on the boulevards.

In Sabaris we were with 3 in the albergue, today in the Xunta Albergue it is just me and one other pilgrim. The hospitalero said that yesterday there were none.

IMG_20231225_220713.jpg

I met up with @ShoshTrvls and her child to enjoy the famous christmas lights of Vigo. The little joys of a Christmas Camino.

IMG_20231225_220755.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Luka

Thanks for posting looks wonderful, have a buen camino. I did not think that anything would be open Christmas eve or day,but that is great news.

Luka

Thanks for posting looks wonderful, have a buen camino. I did not think that anything would be open Christmas eve or day,but that is great news.
You'll have to search for it and come prepared. I always carry food in my pack.

Day 4: Vigo - Redondela

IMG_20231226_180124.jpg

Everything is a little bit different this time of the year. We didn't have to leave the Xunta Albergue by 8.00 am (when it is still dark), 9.30 am would be fine.

IMG_20231226_180411.jpg

Leaving cities, I think it is nobody's favorite. In Vigo it is about 3 kms uphill. Gronze promised me a nice path (Senda da Auga) after that, but the nice path meant more asphalt for an hour or so. Then it got nice indeed, with views on the harbour and the river down below.

IMG_20231226_180609.jpg

There is something else that is different from walking in high season, I think. People greeting me in the streets, wishing me Buen Camino, showing me the way, having a chat and even shouting 'Buen Camino' to me from cars.

IMG_20231226_180644.jpg

Entering Redondela I saw a deli that was still open. I left with a good bottle of local wine in my pack. It was 2 kms more to my albergue A Darsena Do Frances, the only one I could find that was open.

IMG_20231226_180936.jpg

The owner sent me a code, so I could help myself inside. There is just one other pilgrim here. I don't think I'll meet the owner. Fair enough. Happy to be able to stay here.

Tomorrow I'll be walking on the Portugues Central. Curious if I'll meet more pilgrims then. @ShoshTrvls said they saw 'only' 4 today, walking from O Porrino to Redondela. Sounds like a crowd to me. 😂

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ah, the familiar receipt of a Xunta albergue! I am assuming the one you are at tonight is private though? Looks like a big rain coming on Thursday so stay safe.

Ah, the familiar receipt of a Xunta albergue! I am assuming the one you are at tonight is private though? Looks like a big rain coming on Thursday so stay safe.
Yes, this one is private. Thanks for the heads-up!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Un río atmosférico trae lluvias persistentes a Galicia - http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...sistentes-galicia/00031703596347067544105.htm
Looks it will begin tomorrow afternoon and not Thursday.

Yes, seems that way. We may leave earlier in the morning to try to beat it to Ponteverda.

Ellery and I are also in Redondela, and had a wonderful dinner with @Ester. That is, the company was wonderful but there was not a single (vegetarian) meal on the menu for Ester!

Yes, seems that way. We may leave earlier in the morning to try to beat it to Ponteverda.

Ellery and I are also in Redondela, and had a wonderful dinner with @Ester. That is, the company was wonderful but there was not a single (vegetarian) meal on the menu for Ester!
That is unfortunately very typical (I am vegetarian as well). Should be a bit better in Pontevedra tomorrow. There is at least one vegetarian restaurant. If we all make it before the rain, we might do a (late) lunch there?

Day 5: Redondela - Pontevedra

Started walking in the dark to beat the heavy rain that was forecasted in the afternoon. And I wasn't alone. Madre mía, so many pilgrims. The Portugues Central is definitely more travelled than the Portugues de la Costa. I lost count, but I think I saw at least about 20 other pilgrims?

IMG_20231227_200026.jpg
I loved today's stage! It is actually quite funny, the first one that wasn't coastal, but the best of all I would say. Lots of forest paths and a lot less asphalt.

IMG_20231227_200224.jpg
And the very best of it all? This was my 5th walking day in a row and my Achilles tendons are still alright! 🥳

I took the alternative path along the river almost until the railwaystation of Pontevedra. A bit longer, but definitely recommendable.

IMG_20231227_200131.jpg
I arrived at my albergue just about when it started to rain. After a well needed shower and rest I had a nice late lunch/early dinner with @Ester, @ShoshTrvls and Ellery.

IMG_20231227_195931.jpg
It is a different Camino from now on. With much more pilgrims and much more (open) facilities. The days of carrying food are over.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Luka are you walking with a light sleeping bag eg single season, or a heavier duty one?

enjoying your report

Buen Camino!

More rain today, but sounds like the worst may be over until New Year's per weather reports. I am leaving my home on about an hour to begin my journey towards the Camino. Hope your group continues to find food and shelter without difficulty.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More rain today, but sounds like the worst may be over until New Year's per weather reports. I am leaving my home on about an hour to begin my journey towards the Camino. Hope your group continues to find food and shelter without difficulty.
Buen Camino to you and your students!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Day 6: Pontevedra

A super rainy restday. The plan was to see Pontevedra, but I have walked around less than I wanted because of the almost constant rain.

IMG_20231228_154250.jpg

My Achilles tendons needed this day though, I could feel that last night. So I am taking it slow. Doing laundry, collecting stamps, hanging around in cafes and bars. No complaints. Restdays are always just a bit strange. A pilgrim needs to walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, there are a couple of days missing here... (I am home by now...)

Day 6: Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-02 143201.png

A very nice stage with lots of walking on dirt paths in forests. And however it was very humid and cloudy, it didn't rain. So far the only (very) rainy day was Day 5 (when I had a rest day in Pontevedra). The weather has been much better than expected. Lucky me.

I was warned by @ShoshTrvls (who was by then walking 1 day ahead of me) that they only saw one open bar on this stage. So I ate a BIG piece of tortilla de patatas there. 😅

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-02 143438.png

I stayed in albergue Agarimo (more a pensión) and had the single room for €20. A good deal. The 'dorms' are only 3/4 beds each though (and no bunks). Very reasonable price for washing machine and dryer (€2 each).

@landvt, I've had a couple of lunches similar to yours, too, over the years. The memories are actually quite nice, but I don't recall having such a nice smile on my face...at the time.😅

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Loved this thread, we arrived in A Coruña on Christmas Day 2022 - Highlight was sitting in the bus shelter eating turkey sandwiches in the rain
Yeah, bus shelters are great on rainy days! 😅

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back