Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A couple of questions

gns

Time of past OR future Camino
Ciudad Real to Medina Del Campo - Sep 2023
I will arrive in Oviedo on Easter Saturday and will start walking on Easter Sunday (16th).

I was wondering if there will be any particular celebrations on the Saturday evening in the city (Good Friday seemed to be the big one for parades in Salamanca).

Secondly I am unsure how much warm clothing to bring to make sure I have enough layers for the hills. I know it is into Spring but don't want to get caught out.

Lastly, am I too early for the wild flowers to be out?

Any responses much appreciated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will arrive in Oviedo on Easter Saturday and will start walking on Easter Sunday (16th).

I was wondering if there will be any particular celebrations on the Saturday evening in the city (Good Friday seemed to be the big one for parades in Salamanca).

Secondly I am unsure how much warm clothing to bring to make sure I have enough layers for the hills. I know it is into Spring but don't want to get caught out.

I can only answer regarding Semana Santa.
Seems the only procesion will be at 10 am on Saturday : la Soledad.
Here is a link to last years' procesions.http://www.semanasantadeoviedo.es/index.php/procesiones/la-soledad

Enjoy your Camino!

I walked in May last year and the extra layers came in very handy. I found it really cold in the mountains.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oviedo has a strong tradition of Semana Santa processions which I witnessed on the Thursday and Friday of Holy Week last year. I timed my visit so I could see the Sudarium - a cloth believed to have covered the face of Jesus in his tomb. I saw it on Good Friday but I believe it was also to be on display on the following day. Something you might have to confirm through the cathedral.

I love Spanish Easter and have been in Spain for (counting on my fingers) 11 Easters so far.

Easter Sunday is Resurrection Sunday, and the big celebration is usually in the morning. I found a site for the Cathedral in Oviedo, they often seem to have special masses at 12.00 on Domingo de Resurrección.

Re your question about clothing: I was very glad of my merino long-sleeved base layer last September/October on the Primitivo. I imagine that the weather in April/May is probably similar to September/October. I didn't bring a fleece or a warm jacket - when it was cold I wore the base layer, a T shirt and my light rain coat.
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think I will just try and go round the cathedral on my arrival when I go to get a stamp.

In reply to your question if there will be any wildflowers in May after Oviedio...I walked it starting in the 2nd week of May and don't recall very many wildflowers at that time. I have many more memories and pictures of them on my spring Frances route.

Hello. Most Spring flowers in Northern Spain don't come out until late May or June, so don't expect to see a lot of them. However, the weather's changing lately, so who knows... :(

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back