• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Different kind of Camino

shubertj

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, 2013, 2018 Portuguese 2014 Ingles 2017 Fin/Mux 17, 19 Invierno 2018
Primitivo 2019
My Wife and I started walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on September 5 unfortunately our last walking day was to Ansiao after only 7 days. I had strained my back the day before we left to Lisbon and had been struggling along but severely injured it trying to wash my lower legs. For the next 5 days I couldn't straighten up past 90 degree angle and my whole left leg was in terrible pain and trauma as I had pushed the disk up against the nerve. We went to the private hospital in Coimbra and spent 7 hours there including a Morphine shot to my stomach to help ease the pain and a recommendation to return to the USA as soon as possible. Loaded with plenty of pain killers and several more days recuperating at a hotel in Coimbre, we able to travel back to the states. I had very successful surgery yesterday and just finished a walk around the block.

My purpose in writing this to relay how grateful and thankful for all the help we received. Although we spoke virtually no Portuguese we were treated in most caring and wonderful ways. Hotel owners cooking and bringing food to our room, help in making transportation arrangements to the hospital and making sure we were doing well. The little lady in Newark who was pushing my wheelchair racing through the airport so we wouldn't miss our flight, to all the nurses and Doctors at the different hospitals who gave beyond loving care and went way out of the normal to help us.

Our last day in Santiago was supposed to be on October 4 th some how we feel we are still on the Camino but surely in a very different way. Jacque from Belgian, Lazlo form Budapest and Francesca from France your probably happened to us we just took a small detour and grateful to have met you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ola Shubertj - quite a tale and ordeal - and how amazing that you could even walk that far w/ that kind of pain/injury. You and your wife certainly had encountered caminho angels for sure - the kindness of people is heart warming over and again. Glad to hear that you are starting to feel better and even walked around the block. Very best wishes for a continued and blessed recovery -
and Oct 4th is the Feast day of Saint Francis / San Francesco - nice time to arrive in Santiago, even if 'only' in spirit.
Saluti, C

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Amorfati1,
Yes the "Camino Angels" just keep showing up and we can't stop thinking about our Camino.
indeed- there is so much soothing solace in thinking of the Caminho, being there 'in thought' AND spirit.

My Wife and I started walking the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon on September 5 unfortunately our last walking day was to Ansiao after only 7 days. I had strained my back the day before we left to Lisbon and had been struggling along but severely injured it trying to wash my lower legs. For the next 5 days I couldn't straighten up past 90 degree angle and my whole left leg was in terrible pain and trauma as I had pushed the disk up against the nerve. We went to the private hospital in Coimbra and spent 7 hours there including a Morphine shot to my stomach to help ease the pain and a recommendation to return to the USA as soon as possible. Loaded with plenty of pain killers and several more days recuperating at a hotel in Coimbre, we able to travel back to the states. I had very successful surgery yesterday and just finished a walk around the block.

My purpose in writing this to relay how grateful and thankful for all the help we received. Although we spoke virtually no Portuguese we were treated in most caring and wonderful ways. Hotel owners cooking and bringing food to our room, help in making transportation arrangements to the hospital and making sure we were doing well. The little lady in Newark who was pushing my wheelchair racing through the airport so we wouldn't miss our flight, to all the nurses and Doctors at the different hospitals who gave beyond loving care and went way out of the normal to help us.

Our last day in Santiago was supposed to be on October 4 th some how we feel we are still on the Camino but surely in a very different way. Jacque from Belgian, Lazlo form Budapest and Francesca from France your probably happened to us we just took a small detour and grateful to have met you.
@shubertj. Sorry to read about this and that this caminho ended in a different way as you were looking for.
Probably a next time
Lots of succes in recovering and good luck

What a big disappointment for you both and such a worry. I am so pleased you have got your back sorted out and hopefully can begin to plan maybe doing your camino again. Those poeple are a real blessing aren't they so kind and helpful. Recover very soon Beun camino.:)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Shubert-- what a lovely and classy note. To live in gratitude was a huge lesson I took from my Camino(s) and it is comforting to see in others as well. Get well, the Camino isn't going anywhere and it needs you back! :)

I hope that you get well, and that you have the possibility to come back, and finish your Caminho.

Best wishes!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back