• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Ideal" itinerary for a leisurely Camino Portuguese?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
Just booked my flight to Porto and will be starting my Camino Portuguese on Saturday, May 11 :)

I'm fortunate to have a very flexible and generous time frame and have budgeted 16 days to get to Santiago from Porto - partly to be able to take my time and enjoy the experience, and also because I prefer not to walk more than 20 km/day. This is more time than both the Brierley (12 stages) and Gronze (10 stages) routes for the route.

So I will either be walking a few days with very short stages (ca. 10-15 km/day) or will have time to spend a few extra days in towns along the way — or possibly both.

For those who have walked the CP before: What towns do you think are worth spending a rest day in? Or do you think walking a few shorter days (10-15 km) would be a better way to extend my walk?

Note that I will be staying in Porto for three days before I start walking, and am planning on doing the Variante Spiritual, which seems to add an extra day to the "standard" itinerary. And I have also budgeted four days to walk from Santiago to Muxia at the tail end of my Camino. (I walked from Santiago to Fisterra at the end of my CF in 2022.)

Despite the (automatically generated!) title of this post, I realize there's no such thing as an "ideal" itinerary, and that perhaps the best course of action would just be to start walking and see how it goes. But I find planning an itinerary in advance is helpful for giving me a daily goal and what to expect of my body every day.

That said, here's one itinerary I've worked out that involves walking every day.
Thoughts and suggestions for adjustments/alternatives are welcome!

Porto
Perafita / Praia do Paraíso (via Litoral)15.1 km
Vila do Conde16.2
Rates12.5
Barcelos16
Vitorino dos Piães16.9
Ponte de Lima13.5
Rubiaes17.4
Valenca/Tui19.1
Porriño13
Redondela16
Pontevedra19
- Var. Espiritual -
Combarro11
Armenteira10
Vilanova de Arousa
(Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua)
Pontecesuras/Padron28 km (boat) + 2 km
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA23

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree that the 'standard' approaches to the VE seem rather long. I walked it staying at Camborro and Os Castanos. I would allow another day.

I would put a plug in for Casa da Fernanda as a not to miss. It is just before Vitorino dos Piães, but you might already be thinking this is where you would stay at that stop. Well worth it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just booked my flight to Porto and will be starting my Camino Portuguese on Saturday, May 11 :)

I'm fortunate to have a very flexible and generous time frame and have budgeted 16 days to get to Santiago from Porto - partly to be able to take my time and enjoy the experience, and also because I prefer not to walk more than 20 km/day. This is more time than both the Brierley (12 stages) and Gronze (10 stages) routes for the route.

So I will either be walking a few days with very short stages (ca. 10-15 km/day) or will have time to spend a few extra days in towns along the way — or possibly both.

For those who have walked the CP before: What towns do you think are worth spending a rest day in? Or do you think walking a few shorter days (10-15 km) would be a better way to extend my walk?

Note that I will be staying in Porto for three days before I start walking, and am planning on doing the Variante Spiritual, which seems to add an extra day to the "standard" itinerary. And I have also budgeted four days to walk from Santiago to Muxia at the tail end of my Camino. (I walked from Santiago to Fisterra at the end of my CF in 2022.)

Despite the (automatically generated!) title of this post, I realize there's no such thing as an "ideal" itinerary, and that perhaps the best course of action would just be to start walking and see how it goes. But I find planning an itinerary in advance is helpful for giving me a daily goal and what to expect of my body every day.

That said, here's one itinerary I've worked out that involves walking every day.

Porto
Vila do Conde16.2
Rates12.5
Barcelos16
Vitorino dos Piães16.9
Ponte de Lima13.5
Rubiaes17.4
Valenca/Tui19.1
Porriño13
Redondela16
Pontevedra19
- Var. Espiritual -
Combarro11
Armenteira10
Vilanova de Arousa
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA23
Looking at your planned itinerary, I would suggest considering Pontevedra and Ponte de Lima for rest days. Both of them have interesting historic sites to visit and good restaurants. Ponte de Lima is my personal favourite. Here's a blog post if you have any interest: https://twoclinestraveling.wordpress.com/2023/02/08/ponte-de-lima-a-city-you-cant-forget-2022/

Porto
Vila do Conde16.2
Rates12.5
Barcelos16
Vitorino dos Piães16.9
Ponte de Lima13.5
Rubiaes17.4
Valenca/Tui19.1
Porriño13
Redondela16
Pontevedra19
- Var. Espiritual -
Combarro11
Armenteira10
Vilanova de Arousa
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA23
"Brierley" guidebook mentions spending extra night in Barcelos and taking bus to Braga for a day trip. One the more memorable days of our CP - well worth it.

I am taking 17 days to walk from 3-19 April from Porto. 2 days on the coast and then moving to the central.
Porto
Matosinhos
Midelo
Sao Pedro de Rates
Barcelos
Arborim
Vitorino
Ponte de Lima
Rubiaes
Valenca
Tui (this is sort of a rest day)
O Porrino
Redondelas
Pontevedra
Tivo
Herbron
?
Santiago
Santiago

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Honestly, if you want "leisurely", then follow the Coastal (possibly from near the airport rather than from Porto), and avoid the Espiritual.

Oh, and for leisure' sake -- I never book ahead personally, but I'd strongly advise it in Redondela regardless.

Our itinerary was the same up to Ponte de Lima. There we went back to the coast. That second part of the Coastal was much better than the Porto to Vila do Conde part. I know everyone wants to walk out of Porto along the river but that is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.
I just have to go back and do all the bits I missed!

I did a similar route to yours, taking around 17 days from Porto to SdC. I had a rest day in Ponte deLima and Pontevedra and broke up OPorrino to Redondela with a stop at Mos. This made for 2 very short, almost rest days plus we spent a lovely, cold and rainy afternoon at Mos watching the storm clouds roll over the mountains. I had always planned to have plenty of time but in the end stops were pretty spontaneous and mostly centred around resting the terrible blisters of my companion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We broke up the Armentiera - Vilanova De Arousa stage with a stay at Os Castanos in Ribadumia. It was a relaxing spot, with great food.
We did the same. It makes the stage a lot shorter. You can make a reservation by phone, they speak english. They have a very good menu del dia for lunch. Just ask for it, it is not on the written menu.

My recommendation is to stay your penultimate night in the albergue municipal in O Milladoiro. It is quite new and modern. It is just 6 km from Santiago. That means you will have an easy final day walk, arrive in Santiago early in the morning and basically walk right in to the Pilgrim Office. Nevertheless, you should still find out about advanced on-line booking of your arrival at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

My recommendation is to stay your penultimate night in the albergue municipal in O Milladoiro. It is quite new and modern. It is just 6 km from Santiago. That means you will have an easy final day walk, arrive in Santiago early in the morning and basically walk right in to the Pilgrim Office. Nevertheless, you should still find out about advanced on-line booking of your arrival at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.
We stayed in O Milladoiro in 2018 and I agree it's a perfect spot from which to reach Santiago the next morning, which is only about 9.5 km away. You have plenty of time to go to the Pilgrim's Office to get your compostela and perhaps attend a pilgrim's mass in the cathedral.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From my Autumn Camino. Coastal route plus Spiritual variant (recommended). Followed by Camino Inglés. The 30km day could be split but it was flat and easy in fine weather. The day in blue includes the boat journey.

IMG_4002.jpeg

Porto
Vila do Conde16.2
Rates12.5
Barcelos16
Vitorino dos Piães16.9
Ponte de Lima13.5
Rubiaes17.4
Valenca/Tui19.1
Porriño13
Redondela16
Pontevedra19
- Var. Espiritual -
Combarro11
Armenteira10
Vilanova de Arousa
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA23
Just as previously mentioned, we are also breaking up the Armenteira to Villanova de Arousa route with a stay midway. (Not an albergue) and breaking up the Padron - Santiago into two extra stops - so we can take in the sites as well as take it slower because it seems to be uphill most of the way. We are fortunate that we can afford it time wise and budget. Plus starting with 3 days in Porto - then train to Vigo for coastal the spiritual varient.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Helpful responses like these are why I love this forum so much. Big thanks to everyone for the input!

It looks like splitting up the Armenteira to Villanova de Arousa stage into two days is the best way to go, so I'll have to do some shuffling of my initial plan and/or add a day to accommodate it. And I'm going to seriously consider splitting up that last day into Santiago as well.

After the boat ride, we had a leisurely lunch and walk through the market in Padron and then made our way to Picarana where we stayed in the Pensión Glorioso. It made for a shorter walk into Santiago the next day.

This is all very helpful. Has anybody got a favourite guidebook for the Portuguese Camino?
And dare I say it, just in case my friend insists, (she doesn't trust me) a good travel 'company' ? I notice Santiagoways says they are recommended by Camino tourist office. But as you have been so helpful with the itineraries, I can probably sort out the stages myself.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is all very helpful. Has anybody got a favourite guidebook for the Portuguese Camino?
And dare I say it, just in case my friend insists, (she doesn't trust me) a good travel 'company' ? I notice Santiagoways says they are recommended by Camino tourist office. But as you have been so helpful with the itineraries, I can probably sort out the stages myself.
No need for a travelcompany. We used the Brierley guide (a pilgrim’s guide tp the camino portugues), but the guidebook by Anna Dintaman also does the trick. It is helpful to download the gpx tracks beforehand. The app “gronze maps” is also very helpful to sort out the stages. You don’t have to plan the stages exactly as described in the guidebook. See for yourself what distance you want to walk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back