A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

A different kind of virtual Camino

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
A lot of people are doing different "virtual Caminos". The ones I've seen generally fall into two types:
- People are walking locally each day and mapping the distance of their local walks against a Camino route
- People are sharing photos and reminiscences of previous Caminos, one stage each day, to relive their past Camino through these reminiscences.

I'm doing a third kind.

A while ago, when the current crisis was just starting, I noticed that a lot of cultural attractions were making "virtual tours" available for free. When I followed up, a number of them required using virtual reality goggles to really experience. I found that a number of companies were offering very inexpensive VR goggles designed to be compatible with the Google Cardboard app (so called because these goggles are made out of cardboard, with a couple of lenses and a place to slot in your smart phone). I ordered one.

I noticed that Google Streetview works well with Google Cardboard. Put yourself somewhere in Streetview, activate Cardboard and look through the goggles and you are there, in full 360 surround view. Look down a street and a small superimposed arrow will appear. push a button and it will take you a bit down the street in the direction of the arrow.

I'm re-walking my Camino in Streetview and Google Earth. Once the goggles are on, I'm in that street or path in Spain. Wherever I look, I see what I would see in that spot (at the moment in time when Google drove by to take the photo). I just have to decide where to walk next. It really recreates that experience of looking for the yellow arrows and various other markers to reassure me that I am on the Camino and give me guidance as to where to go next. Of seeing people with backpacks in front of me and being relieved that I am on the right path. Occasionally, I will get to a bit where there is no Streetview (usually on paths between villages and towns, although I was surprised at how many of these have Streetview coverage. On these sections, I follow the Camino on Google Earth, looking at the photos and checking to see when Streetview picks up again.

Right now I've just arrived at the Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
This would involve a next step in my technological education. It looks very tantalizing! I'll think about it.

SafariGirl

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
A lot of people are doing different "virtual Caminos". The ones I've seen generally fall into two types:
- People are walking locally each day and mapping the distance of their local walks against a Camino route
- People are sharing photos and reminiscences of previous Caminos, one stage each day, to relive their past Camino through these reminiscences.

I'm doing a third kind.

A while ago, when the current crisis was just starting, I noticed that a lot of cultural attractions were making "virtual tours" available for free. When I followed up, a number of them required using virtual reality goggles to really experience. I found that a number of companies were offering very inexpensive VR goggles designed to be compatible with the Google Cardboard app (so called because these goggles are made out of cardboard, with a couple of lenses and a place to slot in your smart phone). I ordered one.

I noticed that Google Streetview works well with Google Cardboard. Put yourself somewhere in Streetview, activate Cardboard and look through the goggles and you are there, in full 360 surround view. Look down a street and a small superimposed arrow will appear. push a button and it will take you a bit down the street in the direction of the arrow.

I'm re-walking my Camino in Streetview and Google Earth. Once the goggles are on, I'm in that street or path in Spain. Wherever I look, I see what I would see in that spot (at the moment in time when Google drove by to take the photo). I just have to decide where to walk next. It really recreates that experience of looking for the yellow arrows and various other markers to reassure me that I am on the Camino and give me guidance as to where to go next. Of seeing people with backpacks in front of me and being relieved that I am on the right path. Occasionally, I will get to a bit where there is no Streetview (usually on paths between villages and towns, although I was surprised at how many of these have Streetview coverage. On these sections, I follow the Camino on Google Earth, looking at the photos and checking to see when Streetview picks up again.

Right now I've just arrived at the Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos.
Inspired! Love your lateral and creative thinking. Buen Camino! :)

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock