• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few questions before leaving

tagos25

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013--> Frances)
Hi everybody,

First of all I want to thank all the forum members for giving such precious advices. I'm spanish, but the best info is found here !

I have a couple of questions as I'm leaving in a couple of weeks from SJPDP.

i'll appreciate the help:

- can I buy a bordon in SJPDP ? how much does it cost ?
Do I need to book in advance the albergue for the first night ?

- I bought trekking gear yesterday. For the moment I'll be carrying: two polyester t-shirts+one with long sleeves+ 2 shorts+ 1 trousers+1 Poncho+1 flask+ trekking shoes (of course)+2 pairs of good socks+ maybe a short and a shirt more for the evenings+ first aid kit,tootbrush,etc+camera+sleeping bag and small mattress+ earplugs
Do you have any suggestion of another thing to carry ?

- is it easy to find water on the way ? (my flask is only 1l)

- how do you wash your clothes every night ? do you take a bit of handwash powder or soap is enough ?

- where to have breakfast in the mornings ? is the best solution to buy groceries the night before ?

- can you find easily "internet cafes" ? I'll skype once a week probably

Thanks for all your help, I am really looking forward to be on the road !!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Internet faces are found only in cities. Most albergues have computers, but they may not be maintained, and may not have a camera for visual Skype. There is lots of WiFi if you have it on your iPhone.

tagos25,

Welcome to the Forum!

Here are a few answers to some of your questions.

You should be able to find a bourdon or pilgrim walking stick in Saint Jean Pied de Port in one of the two shops Boutique du Pelerin at 32 rue de la Citadelle or Direction Compostelle nearby on the place Floquet. Both are run by the same helpful, experienced pilgrim. Here is the web >> http://directioncompostelle.com/ You might send an email to learn the price.

Since you plan to begin in SJPdP soon during the busy summer season it would be best to book in advance an albergue for the first night.You can only reserve a bunk in advance at private albergues. If you have a reservation you should be assured of a bed. At municipal albergues it is first come first taken.

In Saint-Jean the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle in season is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with a Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle, but they do NOT take reservations. They will help you find other pilgrim lodgings and keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Another possibility is to use this SJPdP Tourist Office link for all accommodation in the area
>> http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasq ... sme.com/fr
Once the page loads click on the purple horizontal band the term DORMEZ, click Gites de groupe et pèlerins for pilgrim albergues, for other tourist accommodation click Chambres d'hôtes for B and Bs. or click Hotels.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
tagos25 said:

The sister of one of the ladies that works for Express Bouricott owns a store near (opposite side) the Office of the Pilgrims (42 Rue de la Citadelle) with a really good selection wooden sticks and other types. I bought mine there the morning I left (around 7:30am; the store was opened) for 5 Euros. At least for the first 3 days, it was REALLY useful.

I would consider carrying plastic clogs or flip flops for wear in the shower.

I would consider carrying shirts with long sleeves only for protection from sun and wind.

I travelled in late fall so a 1 liter bottle was more than sufficient. Water was often available though some fountains warned the water was not 'safe' for consumption.

I bought a box of meusli that would last for 4 breakfasts. I'd buy a cup of yoghurt every evening to mix with the cereal in the morning. I was usually able to make hot water for tea but sometimes had to get by with a can of coke for that caffeine kick.

I carried a spoon, cup, and a bowl; many albergues have no utensils.

Make sure first aid kit has compeed or moleskin to address blisters. A small amount of Vaseline is a good idea to rub on the feet before starting in the morning.

I carried three shirts two long pants one shorts. I wore shorts everyday with one long sleeve shirt. A long sleeve shirt and long pants were evening wear.

Every three days I would find a laundry machine and would wear the clean shirt and clean long pants while the laundry did its thing. That shirt would get used for walking next three days. Not all albergues had laundry machines. Most had wash tubs and clothes lines. I walked late fall so there was not sufficient heat from the sun to dry clothes ... so wash tubs were of no value to me. When I hike I just rinse sweat out of walking clothes ... you don't really need to use soap on it for several days. Polyester will stink after a couple of days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is no need to take the entire Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy with you on the Camino, its enough to remember the appearance namely it has the words DON'T PANIC in large, friendly letters on the cover. Spain is a modern country and can provide almost everything one needs. I wouldn't try ordering decaf coffee with soy milk in a village bar/cafe but most anything else you will be able to find. PS D. Adams (RIP) also had some intelligent words concerning towels-don't leave yours out to dry and walk off leaving it there the next morning.

Many thanks to all of you for your answers.

Your advice is really really useful.

I'll buy a bordon at SJPP and perhaps book the first night then.

Regarding the first aid kit of course that I'll carry compeed :). Flip flops good idea. I'll also buy vaseline then.

Thanks again for your help !!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Tagos25,

I bought my bordon on the Rue de La Citadelle in SJJDP as I set off last August. It was the traditional type: quite heavy but it just felt good in my hand. I carried it all the way to Finisterre and it currently resides in a little pension in Santiago where I left it in the keeping of Carmen with the promise I would collect it again this year!! :D This I will do in September when I return to walk to Finisterre and Muxia.

8Euros...a bargain :) :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
just home after a great trip.
We were told on our Camino that Compeed should only be used as prevention...Do not use on already formed blisters! They 'cook ' your blisters.
Use Vaseline in mornings on your feet, change your socks during the day.
If blisters form, drain them with a needle and thread which has been disinfected with Iodine...leave the thread in place to let the fluid drain out. Cover with gauze and tape. I got a blister on my 2nd toe, I forgot the Vaseline that day!
I had no further problems once I drained it.

Ear plugs were a life saver.
Brought a small bottle of liquid detergent, pegs and 2 Nappy pins to hang my socks from my Rucksack!
Caroline

I've just returned and I'm always amazed that people continually talk about being able to buy what you need. Often stores are closed when you walk through town. He is walking in the summer so needs plenty of water to prevent blisters and keep the muscles hydrated. Check weather reports before you go as we experienced unseasonable weather.If it's hot, you don't need the sleeping bag. Many of the washer sinks had a bar of soap but taking a small bar doesn't hurt. Many of the clothes lines had pins.

Not sure what that is.

Do I need to book in advance the albergue for the first night ?

You can. For me, I never booked the whole way, and it was my understanding this passed April to June was one of the busiest ever. I waited at times...then, I was content sleeping outside if necessary. It's the Camino.

- I bought trekking gear yesterday. For the moment I'll be carrying: two polyester t-shirts+one with long sleeves+ 2 shorts+ 1 trousers+1 Poncho+1 flask+ trekking shoes (of course)+2 pairs of good socks+ maybe a short and a shirt more for the evenings+ first aid kit,tootbrush,etc+camera+sleeping bag and small mattress+ earplugs
Do you have any suggestion of another thing to carry ?

A swiss army knife with only a small blade and wine opener. You can buy at any Spanish cutlery store. I got mine in Pamplona. Was great for cutting bread and cheese and opening wine bottles. It was all I needed. Everything else you list sounds fine. Just make sure it isn't over 10 percent of your body weight. In other words, you weigh 100 kilos, then carry no more than 10.

- is it easy to find water on the way ? (my flask is only 1l)

You can find water along the way easily. Just keep that bottle filled up. Since it will be warmer when you go, fill that bottle up ever town you get because it is only 1 liter.

- how do you wash your clothes every night ? do you take a bit of handwash powder or soap is enough ?

Sometimes you are too tired to wash, or it isn't convenient. That is okay, though, its the Camino, and you sometimes smell. Get some wash you can also use for clothes that they sell at most outdoor stores. I usually wore my moisture wicking underwear in the shower at night when I could, wash my undies with my boy wash while still wearing them, then, take them off and wash the rest of me. Normally they would dry by morning, or I would hang them on my backpack as I hiked the next leg of the Camino. My other pair I would wear in the meantime, and repeat the process again in the evening at the next albergue.

- where to have breakfast in the mornings ? is the best solution to buy groceries the night before ?

Breakfast. I was under the impression the Spanish didn't have breakfast by the time I finished the Camino. Bread, jam, and coffee. For the most part, unless you buy a banana or apple in the grocery the night before, those are your options for most of the Camino.

- can you find easily "internet cafes" ? I'll skype once a week probably

You can find them in bigger towns and cities. But, unless you have your Iphone with a Spanish sim card with internet, might be a problem. I was online about once every week and a half or so. It all depended on finding a computer. I brought no technology but my little camera. That was my Camino.

Thanks for all your help, I am really looking forward to be on the road !!

Outstanding. Now get out there and walk!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back