• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A glimpse behind the walls of the monastery Santo Domingo de Silos

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
Before I put my technology away and enjoy six days of silence with the monks I thought that I might share a small glimpse behind the walls. This is just the entrance really but I have not yet decided if I will go absolutely without technology and so no more photos. In the meantime.....

IMG_20230620_191134957_HDR.jpgIMG_20230620_191613289_HDR.jpgIMG_20230621_101736961_HDR.jpgIMG_20230621_101755948.jpgIMG_20230621_101906833_HDR.jpgIMG_20230621_101920329_HDR.jpgIMG_20230621_101514819.jpgIMG_20230621_101452949.jpgIMG_20230621_101952105_HDR.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
very nice thanks for sharing. I also made a sort of five-day retreat at Mondonedo Seminary or a former seminary the cathedral was completed in 1246. I enjoyed the time. Mondonedo is on the Camino Norte. Each morning, as I opened my window, I could smell the Eucalyptus forest. This small city is in a valley surrounded by a Eucalyptus forest.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for sharing these pictures@DoughnutNZ. Please post your thoughts on your experience after your visit or if you have time, you could also PM me. One day I want to go on a silent retreat, but I never thought of doing it in Spain....

I will look forward to whatever details you care to share about this retreat, @DoughnutANZ. I have a question about something we observed two weeks ago, when we were at the Vespers service in Santo Domingo. At the conclusion of the chanting at the main altar, most of the monks (except for those who had difficulties walking) came down the main aisle and then went into a smaller chapel on the left side of the church (on your left as you stand facing the altar). I can’t remember exactly what they did in that chapel, whether it was singing and/or recitation of prayers, but I distinctly remember that when they finished and turned out the lights, at least two of the people who had been present in the church during the service followed them and the doors closed behind them.

I’m wondering if those people were participants in a retreat like you are. And I was surprised to see that one of them was a woman, and am also wondering whether women can participate in these retreats.

So many questions, but they can wait till later of course!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Throughout my life as a Catholic boy and man, I've heard the call to retreats and I've thought, ' not on your nelly mate' but strangely as I've got older I've started thinking I wonder what it would actually be like .And after recently finishing the Portuguese and now,reading your ',lemonade line of chat'😁 I'm thinking, 'Well, why not?' Doughnut,thanks for this thread 👍(I think,)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do we start a new thread for places that women can do a retreat or is there going to be a big yes here (and will other suggestions trickle in?) I’m very drawn to the idea and have sometimes wondered if there is somewhere in Spain.

I will look forward to whatever details you care to share about this retreat, @DoughnutANZ. I have a question about something we observed two weeks ago, when we were at the Vespers service in Santo Domingo. At the conclusion of the chanting at the main altar, most of the monks (except for those who had difficulties walking) came down the main aisle and then went into a smaller chapel on the left side of the church (on your left as you stand facing the altar). I can’t remember exactly what they did in that chapel, whether it was singing and/or recitation of prayers, but I distinctly remember that when they finished and turned out the lights, at least two of the people who had been present in the church during the service followed them and the doors closed behind them.

I’m wondering if those people were participants in a retreat like you are. And I was surprised to see that one of them was a woman, and am also wondering whether women can participate in these retreats.

So many questions, but they can wait till later of course!
Usually last thing is a 'Marian Anthem' either Salve Regina, or in the weeks after Easter, Regina Coeli. It is the traditional way to end the day, sometimes done in darkness, or with a single light on an icon - as I saw in Sobrado dos Monxes (where in the very modern chapel, in the very old building, lighting was used creatively and effectively).

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
am also wondering whether women can participate in these retreats.

Do we start a new thread for places that women can do a retreat or is there going to be a big yes here
As far as I know, women are not permitted beyond the columned courtyard. Sorry. There is a smaller, very dark chapel just off to the left as you come in through the main external church doors but this is still an area open to the public. This may be the chapel that @peregrina2000 is referring to.

There are also some areas that are not open to anyone except the monks who live here.

It is a little bit (big bit) confusing to me as I am not a Catholic nor do I speak Spanish and virtually no one here speaks much English and, in general, they expect me to follow as best I can. I am okay with this as it pulls me out of my comfort zone.

Some bits I can relate to childhood religious experiences.

It is a bit like them singing Happy Birthday to me today at lunch in Spanish. You know the tune and you know what the English words would be and so it makes sense in a way.

Today at 14:10 we had Nona, actually everyday at 14:10 is Nona but today, instead of it being in the big church it was held in the private part of the Abbey and the monks were all dressed in their hiking gear with hiking poles and after prayers we all went for a hike. That was interesting.

Not sure what Nona is, translator says "ninth".

Anyway, you are tempting me to play with technology instead of clearing my mind, which is hard with all the stuff that I have going on so I had better finish now and get back to clearing it.

As far as I know, women are not permitted beyond the columned courtyard. Sorry. There is a smaller, very dark chapel just off to the left as you come in through the main external church doors but this is still an area open to the public. This may be the chapel that @peregrina2000 is referring to.

Not sure what Nona is, translator says "ninth".

Anyway, you are tempting me to play with technology instead of clearing my mind, which is hard with all the stuff that I have going on so I had better finish now and get back to clearing it.

For those who want to learn more about the rules of St Benedict.

And the different praying times.

I'd love to stay in a monastery and switch off for a couple of days, but ruled it out some years back when I researched it. Seems i would fail on health issues and food related issues. Better to not tempt fate. ;)

Still, glad it works out for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.