• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's with the big bulls on the hills?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
So I have always enjoyed that big bull on the hill on the Frances. I don't remember where exactly but it's near a wood recycling yard, near the new roadway construction.

Well today, I saw the same thing on the Mozarabe day 1 between Rioja and Santa Fe, while walking on the dried out river.

Can someone please explain its meaning? Is it an advertisement? Is it art? I mean there are zero bovines in this parts... at least so far...

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpeg
    IMG_0404.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7,628
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well today, I saw the same thing on the Mozarabe day 1 between Rioja and Santa Fe,

Woo hoo, I know you're not one to post regularly while you're walking, but it's good to hear you're on your way.

And an unsolicited bit of advice -- if you hope to visit the Alhambra in Granada, tickets are going fast. All days in February still available but many are showing "last tickets." There are many sites that sell tickets, but the official site is here.

Buen camino, Damien!

Great to know you’re really on your way - I can picture your ‘bull’ up on the left as you walk along the dry river bed. It would be great to hear from you when you’ve got time. I empathise with you re your exit delays from USA around Monday. There have been a few of us (from forum) who were in similar ‘delay anxiety’ over that time.

You’re there now. Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well today, I saw the same thing on the Mozarabe day 1 between Rioja and Santa Fe, while walking on the dried out river.
Damien, how great to see a posting from you!

You may not be seeing very many cows now, but I was just reading this morning how plentiful they used to be in the small villages there. It was traditional to have a single shepherd (called a dulero) who daily took all the villagers' cattle, sheep, and goats out to pasture. The Google translation:
"Although the system of dula was normally used with sheep and goats, in some towns in the region it was also applied to pigs. In this sense, Juan Antonio Muñoz records, from oral sources, how the Abrucena dulero walked the streets daily blowing a horn so that the owners would open the pigsties so that their pigs could join the herd.
In the most common case, of sheep and goats, in the times when the dula herd grazed on a daily basis, it drew attention, as it returned to the collection town, how each owner's herd separated from the group on its own initiative to enter its corral, without the need for the shepherd to make even a gesture."

Hoping to hear more from you as your walk continues!

You may not be seeing very many cows now, but I was just reading this morning how plentiful they used to be in the small villages there. It was traditional to have a single shepherd (called a dulero) who daily took all the villagers' cattle, sheep, and goats out to pasture.

A few months ago I came across the diary I wrote on my first Camino. I thought that I had lost it years ago. Reading through what I wrote then I was struck by the number of times I met farm animals along the way: sheep, goats, a pack mule, a donkey pulling a cart, and twice I saw yoked oxen working - ploughing a small field at one place and pulling a cart with timber in another. One scene on the outskirts of Carrion de los Condes struck me at the time:
"a shepherd and his mixed flock of sheep and goats crossing the road at the edge of town. A middle-aged man wearing a beret and with a folded blanket over his left shoulder. 3 dogs behind him – one either side of the flock, one behind and the shepherd in front with a caricature of a crook. No words, no barking, no bleating. Just a few awkward goats breaking ranks to grab some leaves from a bush up against a fence. I crossed the road to avoid breaking up the flock but I suspect they'd have passed me without even noticing me."

A few of the village lavaderos were still in regular use then with groups of women busy doing their laundry by hand and talking. One group of ladies offered to scrub my clothes and me too! :) There were times during that walk when the scene might just as easily have been in 1890 or 1790 rather than 1990.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When travelling through Spain in 2015 as tourists, not pilgrims, one of our accommodation hosts told us that whenever you see a huge bull silhouette anywhere, it means it is a bull-fighting region.

@Damien Reynolds, I am so glad that you posed this question! I have seen a number of those bulls on hills over the years and wondered the same thing as you, although I would quickly forget about my curiosity shortly after I passed by.
@C clearly has provided an interesting link to solve the little mystery, so thanks to both of you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A few of the village lavaderos were still in regular use then with groups of women busy doing their laundry by hand and talking.
I saw the same thing in a village just outside Santiago (on a non-Camino visit) in 1989. And a frequent sight in the countryside was a lone shepherd, leaning on a stick, guarding a flock of sheep. Cheaper than fencing, I surmised at the time.

So I have always enjoyed that big bull on the hill on the Frances. I don't remember where exactly but it's near a wood recycling yard, near the new roadway construction.

Can someone please explain its meaning? Is it an advertisement? Is it art? I mean there are zero bovines in this parts... at least so far...
Yes! They are the last remaining "billboards" for Osborne brandy. They are iconic. When I was a small child visiting family in Spain (I'm 57 now), my father would make it a game to spot all the Osborne bulls as we drove the long roads. Alas, many of them are gone now. You can read more here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/osborne-bull-billboard-spain

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Yes, advert for Osborne brandy!

According to a Bard Search it is most probably it is "Osborne, a renowned brandy producer. Their iconic black silhouette of a charging bull, known as the "Toro de Osborne," has been a fixture on the Spanish landscape for over 50 years and can be seen across the country, particularly along highways."

Driving throughout Spain in 2019-2022 we saw many.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is yet another bull on the highway between Seville and Cordoba.

Attachments

• PA300353.JPG
    PA300353.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 12
When travelling through Spain in 2015 as tourists, not pilgrims, one of our accommodation hosts told us that whenever you see a huge bull silhouette anywhere, it means it is a bull-fighting region.
That is not exact. Galicia is one of the less bull fighting regions, it has only 1 plaza and has 5 bulls. Navarra has 4 plazas (and San Fermines) and has 0 bulls.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Attachments

• 20230908_195500.jpg
    20230908_195500.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 10
Well if prepared well they are quite tasty.

I mean there are zero bovines in this parts... at least so far...
Way back in a previous century the Camino used to cross farmland just west of Burguete rather than running parallel to the fields. Halfway across one field a big white bull wandered down and stood right on the path staring at me. Bull? In Spain??? I made a big circle around him saying "Buenos dias Señor Toro!" in a quiet polite voice. As a dairy bull in a field of cows he was probably pretty placid and just being nosey. But on my first morning in Spain... :cool:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Way back in a previous century the Camino used to cross farmland just west of Burguete rather than running parallel to the fields. Halfway across one field a big white bull wandered down and stood right on the path staring at me. Bull? In Spain??? I made a big circle around him saying "Buenos dias Señor Toro!" in a quiet polite voice. As a dairy bull in a field of cows he was probably pretty placid and just being nosey. But on my first morning in Spain... :cool:
Dairy bulls can be some of the most aggressive in the US. You may have dodged a bullet or a goring...

Dairy bulls can be some of the most aggressive in the US. You may have dodged a bullet or a goring...
You are right of course. In the UK laws allow bulls of beef breeds to be kept in fields where there is a public right of way so long as they are with cows. Recognised dairy breeds are not permitted to be loose in areas with public access. I should have been hoping for the opposite situation! But the animal was quite placid in either case. I think that an aggressive animal would not have been allowed to wander in a field crossed by the Camino at the time.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most people think what we cityfolk call "cows" are no problem, but I was attacked once while walking by a herd of young bullocks, and I was terrified, with reason. Worse, my then wife was laughing her head off (from behind the hedge) and casting loud aspersions on my masculinity.

So imho the only safe animal on the Camino is our noble Veterano bull, being 2-dimensional.

As a former farm wife a good wack on the nose is a great defense if they are ever that close. Always had a pair of plyers in.my pocket for that purpose. On the Camino, anything hard will do such as a pocket knife.(not deployed, just to give a hard rap on.the nose between the nostrils. Very sensitive area.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Google wikipedia Osborne bull and you get the story behind them.

Most people think what we cityfolk call "cows" are no problem, but I was attacked once while walking by a herd of young bullocks, and I was terrified, with reason.
The poet T. S. Eliot, known for his verses about cats, did not like cows. He made this clear in a little known verse titled "The Country Walk".

Now that you've read "The Country Walk" you understand why Eliot won a Noble Prize for Literature, right? 😈

TS had it right. I admire but do not share
J Wllhaus' courage in the face of the bovine, and I'm glad that TS shares and vindicates my terror of these beasts. This is of course a limitation, a pointer towards a craven spirit whose consequences TS describes so well:
"I have heard the mermaids calling, each to each/I do not think that they will call to me." 🙁

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What a fabulous read, I've always loved seeing the Bulls on our road trips. Thanks for posting
Yes, totally agree. Would be interesting to see the brothers in action on site making repairs and perhaps having a chat too.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.