• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Long Walk - Three Questions

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

In the summer of 2013 I am planning on walking from Konstanz Germany to Finnisterre a total of approximately 2,400 kms. I know it will be a challenge however am gradually preparing both mentally and physically for this exciting walk.

Three equipment questions:

Backpack - favourite brand name, suggested size and why you like it

Hiking Boots - assume over such a long distance with varying terrain hiking boots will be necessary. Again same questions as Backpack with a specific questions around the advisability of goretex (some indicate these are too hot) and durability of the hiking boot suggested.

Hiking Poles - would you recommend them and if so what brand name.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Guy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i'll get in before the veterans start persuading you......
backpack - dont leave home without the Black Diamond Axiom 40lt. Upright clean lines. no zips. single compartment. can extend by about another 20 or 30 litres. shoulder straps on easy-glide pulley system to reduce shoulder fatigue. waist belt on an articulated ball joint to lessen hip strain. if youre looking for equip to stay the pace for 2400kays dont muck around with part time outdoor gear - stay with the pros
i'm staying clear of advice in the footwear dept - others are more eloquent and vocal
re stix - get Black Diamond eliptical x 2
you have been warned - only settle for the best

I adore my Arcteryx Khamsin Backpack and have used it on all my long treks.
My partner used the Atmos and was very happy with it.
I, also, will forego advice on boots since I'm a trail shoe person.
I bought Pacer Poles for my last Camino and fell in love with them. They were great for my wrists and saved my knees. The only negative is that some places require you to leave them in a bin and will not allow you to take them to your room with you - this made me nervous because of the expense and several times I refused, and went to a different albergue.

WOW! What a great trek you're planning!
Keep us informed!

Attachments

• Arcteryx backpack.jpg
    Arcteryx backpack.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,814
  • Atmos backpack.jpg
    Atmos backpack.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,806
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I'll second the Black Diamond eliptical x 2 poles. Mine have logged over 1700km and are still good. They are strong, easily adjustable with a great locking device that never slips. You will need to bring a second pair of hand straps as they will ware out over that distance. Black Diamonds European agents are based in Switzerland and so you could pick up some en route.
Lowe Alpine airzone centro male version with large capacity.The space between back and pack helps to reduce buffeting in wind and cools the back evaporating sweat. Though the waist strap looks a little flimsy with far less squashy padding than other packs it works really well and is cut away to allow hip movement. The only downside to this pack is that it doesn't really 'sit' on it's bottom and has to be propped up when you stop for a break.
Remember to get your shots for your TBE when walking in Germany it takes a year to build up full immunity.
Boots........see the other threads for the ongoing discussions I'm a boot person and proud :lol:
Good luck.

Anniesantiago said:
What is TBE?
Tick borne encephalitis and they take it very seriously in Franconia and Bavaria anyway. You have to get 3 shots the first two a month apart and then the third within 12 months for full immunity (for up to 10 years) I thought it was a bit over the top but on a couple of occasions when I sat down I could see ticks crawling towards me or up the outside of my trousers. I didn't get bitten by one but did a damn good check every evening :evil: .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Back pack, anything over 50 litres, you're carrying too much. In fact 50 l gives you space for bits & bobs between your essentials you carry. Any more you're in excess weight.
Shoes, boots: make sure they are not too hard, that is not for mountain terrain. They need to be walking boots which can take a bit of rough terrain and rain/wet. Agree, should look at trail runner types IF you have not weak ankles. Walking shoes not mountain shoes. Most of it is pathway and tarmac. Rain resistance IS needed, i.e. Goretex. Your feet may sweat but you will always wash/change socks every day. And will need 7 must air the shoes overnight.

Poles: Only required if you want them and are comfortable with them. Without, I suggest is best, if you really need them, find some sticks, or best one, at the pertinent time or find one early on which you will get endeared to and will want to take home. Why buy something that is there on the road, waiting for your journey and you to pick it up when you want it ?

I'm noticing that the division between shoe and boot is disappearing. Because of a failed parcel delivery, I had to buy some Columbia "mid" shoes at the last moment for my last Camino. They were higher than a shoe, lighter than a boot. Though the miracle waterproof layer gave out after five minutes (as usual), in other respects the shoes were so comfortable that I didn't bother to take them off in the evening.

Because of heavy rains here in rural NSW, I've been jogging in another pair of mid-heights, very sturdy, with hiking sole and Goretex layer. They're a pricey La Sportiva model which are not really the right shape for my long-toed feet, but the fact that I can jog in them is proof that one now has a lot more choice in the kind of footwear available.

I buy oversize to allow space for good aftermarket insoles and a layer of liner sock. With mids, there is less danger of loose heel in an oversize shoe, but less heat and constriction than with boots.

Just a thought, Guy, and please keep us posted on this fantastic itinerary.

Rob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds like a plan!

Good quality is worth searching for but you don't have to buy new - ebay is full of the items you are looking for and at a fraction of new prices.

Rucksack - size, fit, weight. don't buy too large, you will just fill it. It doesn't matter if it is 'waterproof' as you will be using inner bags. Fit is really important - really important. Trying one on, empty, in a shop doesn't really do it. Staff at hiking shops tend to be patient and helpful, perhaps because they use equipment too. Feel free to fill a rucksack in the shop - sleeping bag, pair of boots, a few small heavy things (you can put them back on the shelves later) and do ask an assistant to help you fit it to yourself. There is an extraordinary difference between packs when it comes to how they fit you. When you find the one that fits you will know it. Then weigh it! Some packs weigh 1 kilo (2.2 pounds), some can weigh over 2.5 kilos (5 pounds)! The compromise is that it can be better to buy a slightly heavier pack if it is a perfect fit than a lighter pack that isn't it.
The ultalight packs tend to be essentially a tube with a harness - you may miss outside zipped pockets, water and map carriers if you choose that route.

Hiking Boots - This is specifically down to you and how you are built and what is good for you. You have plenty of time so start looking at different footwear. Again, fit is everything, whatever style - whether trek sandals or fell boots. If you are prone to pronation ensure there is an inner shaped sole to help you.

Hiking poles - Anything expensive that you 'put down' will be something that you load your mind to worry about - 'will they be stolen' equates with 'am I surrounded by thieves'. Personally I like to use one pole or staff rather than two (I make my own staves). It turns me into a tripod, which is much more stable on rough ground - also useful to distance dogs. If you are going for a pole or poles then extend them in the shop and bang the tip on the floor - some of them rattle when extended, which can be really annoying. Funnily enough some expensive ones rattle and some cheap ones don't. The Decthlon Forclaz Light ones don't and they are not expensive at all.

Enjoy the planning, it is a major part of the experience - apart from the experience, that is :wink:

I am a self-confessed advocate of trekking poles.
Personally I like to use one pole or staff rather than two (I make my own staves). It turns me into a tripod, which is much more stable on rough ground - also useful to distance dogs.
A stave is perfect used this way. It is cheap and complete in itself.

The trekking poles are for reducing stress on leg joints, and putting a little weight on the arms (it firms up the back of the arms for those of you who want to tone that "wattle" on the back of your upper arm). They won't do this unless used properly. Getting a boost uphill with a single pole only gives that boost on one side. That is not sufficient for me! I get the boost on every step, and I am glad for it. Ditto bracing for the downhills. One pole is secure only for one step. My poles secure me on every foot plant, and I am glad for it.

I am with Anniesantiago on the Pacer Poles, I just don't worry about losing them. They are ugly enough that I have convinced myself that no one would take them, at least until they become more popular. They border on those forearm crutches that many mobility-handicapped persons use. They are the perfect companion for my "clown shoes", alias MBT boots (as described by an overly-honest Frenchman).

A lot of this is a concession to aging, I admit. If you are still possessed of your youthful hubris, may you never lose it to aging (there must be a blessing to that effect in some devotional book somewhere)!

Attachments

• mbt-kilima-mens-big.jpg
    mbt-kilima-mens-big.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,442
"They are the perfect companion for my "clown shoes"" - :lol: you made me laught out loud, I'm still laughing now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Many thanks for your various suggestions for my questions...will be very helpful as I prepare for this adventure. The area that puzzles me the most is the footwear question. I came into this thinking that due to the length of my trip, going through Switzerland etc. that a light weight goretex protected hiking boot was required.

I have worn hiking boots consistently in the past while hiking in the Canadian Rockies however as has been pointed out the majority of this walking will be roadways, paths etc.

The opinions on footwear seem to vary considerably...at this point am considering either a light weight hiking boot without Goretex (so many indicate Goretex is too hot) or a trail walking shoe of some kind.

Appreciate your thoughts

Guy

footwear is a problem question as everyone will swear by what they use ..

the Roman military on campaign wore sandals with hobnails hammered in and marched 25 (Roman) miles a day with full kit, two palisades, armour and weapons - about 65 lbs ... 30 kilos? Day after day. At the end of each day they built a complete overnight camp with ramparts and palisaded wall (which is why they carried two each). If they had to fight they would do that too!

The wanderings of certain folk such as Yeshua ben Joseph (Jesus) was a sandal thing. modern armies marched on heavy leather boots ... pilgrims for thousands of years have walked barefoot ...

so - here we are at the pinnacle of the rise of Capitalism ( or 'choice', as we are asked to call it) and there is a bewildering range of possibilities .... so what do you think ... hhmm .... wear what you think is good for you, don't you think? :wink:

If you have worn hiking boots consistently in the past by now you should have found a brand with a last shape that suits you. Probably that brand will make a wide variety of boots and trails shoes - stick with the brand. I know that does not answer the question but it does limit what you consider.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pack: Golite Jam or Pinnacle (preferably Jam). A pack does nothing for you except stop your stuff falling on the floor so get the lightest one possible, it is one of the big three items (pack, tent, sleeping bag) where you can save considerable weight so make the most of it. A decent trekking pack these days should weigh less than 800 grams. Something I'm looking into is the Highlander Summit 40, says its 750 grams and has a back system which will keep you cool. Walked all the way across Norway on Olav's Way (600 kms) with the Jam and recently from Salisbury to Canterbury in 8 days (260 kms) and it performed perfectly.The old Jam I have is actually lighter than the new Jam2 so look out for an old one! Works well with the lightest type of thermarest which you can fold up and put in the back of the pack as padding.

Shoes, well I walked the last 400 miles of my Camino in sandals. Nice loose sandals keep your feet cool, its when your feet get hot and sweaty that the skin softens and blisters appear. But not everyone is as extreme as me! I'd recommend waterproof trail running shoes, again as light as possible, and a pair of the lightest sandals you can find. Having two pairs of footwear is a boon on a long trip as blisters caused by one may heal in the other, and sandals are useful for in refugio showers and in the evening.

Poles, well I swear by them because I have dodgy knees. I have Leki Titanium [oles which have a really good locking mechanism and are very light, but got them a few years ago now so there may be better ones out there.

When I work on big constuction site that I will mark the tools with bright paint. So if someone pick up mine tools they can see it. Get a color choth or yarn and sew it on the pack,boots and pole to tell people it is your. Then get big safety pins and put them on the zipper. Safety pins makes it easy to pull open/close if you in the snow storm with your gloves on. Plus you can lock the zipper up so they will have a hard time openning it. "Pick packeter"

http://www.safetypins.com/traditional_pins.htm

Boots. I have a hard time with shoes. I will only wear cheap Rebox tennis shoes. At work I wear safety toe boots I can wear 24 hours a day. I do have mine old hiking boots but don't know if I can still wear them yet. So I will look in to work boots with no safety toe with the same cut or just wear mine work books.

Corwen said:
A pack does nothing for you except stop your stuff falling on the floor so get the lightest one possible, it is one of the big three items (pack, tent, sleeping bag) where you can save considerable weight so make the most of it.
I know that packs are one of the 'hot button' questions on the forum but I am going to dive in here anyhow! I grew up in the days before comfortable packs were invented. Internal frames came as such a huge advance on the external one I began my traveling/tramping life with. And I fell in love with my Deuter ACT-lite pack on my Camino. It was light, but definitely not the lightest one around. But it had an excellent frame which fitted me like a glove, while still allowing airflow that kept the sweat level under control. I felt like it was a 'friend' for my back, not placing any unnecessary strain on it. Some packs might be lighter, but I don't think they always make the load so easy to carry.

But like everything on the Camino- we all have different opinions and needs. There is no 'one way' fits all.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Packs have certainly evolved over the years. Now some packs have done away with any kind of frame, becoming just soft structureless bags. This actually works great if (a) you are carrying a light load, certainly no more than 10 kilos, and (b) you have something like a thermarest or rollmat you can shove in the pack to act as a sort of proxy frame, give it some stiffness and also act as padding.

On the Camino, even in the winter, and even if camping no-one should need to carry more than 8 kilos plus pack (should be more like 6), so even one of the very soft packs like the golite jam or OMM packs should be fine.

Some of these packs have plenty of features like pockets and bottle nets, others have done away with these for extreme lightness like the Golite Ion which only weighs about 200 grams. I find the Ion too much hassle for solo walking, but a simple pack like this is useful if you walk as a pair, one of you carries a pack with bottle carriers and a pocket on the outside with all the waterproofs etc in, the other can carry a really light pack containing just stuff thats needed at the end of the day.

As you say though the sort of back system that holds the pack away from your back is great in hot climes, and we used Deuter AC Lite 20s for the Camino. There are packs like this now under a kilo, like the Berghaus Freeflow Light and Highlander Summit 40 or 25. They do add a bit of weight though so it depends on when you are walking whether its a help. Walking the North Downs Way a couple of weeks ago I was quite glad of the extra warmth my pack gave my back!

Yes, all true. Then there is length of pack. I find that if the pack isn't long enough the main straps pull up and over the shoulders then down so that they eventually hurt the shoulders. I prefer a pack that is long so that the main straps drop down from it onto my front - if that makes sense.

I bought a Golite Jam once, the older model, but found it too short for my body - so sold it on. I have a heavier pack now but it does have zippy pockets and things and is nice and long. Best for me is that it sits well on my hips when I strap it in and this removes all strain from my shoulders when I tighten up - only problem is that it isn't curved enough to airflow as I would like.

but then ... is there a problem with a curved inner back that the weight is further away from the body - cantilever effect and all that? :|

There is certainly no substitute for trying on a pack before you buy it. I've actually taken a bin bag stuffed with clothes to outdoor shops before now to simulate a load, I was pleased to find last time I went in that Cotswold Outdoor actually have weight bags in the shop for that purpose.

I have the small size Jam for precisely that reason, I think it is designed with tall Americans in mind.

I don't think the cantilever effect with packs with a back system is really an issue, firstly because none of them are bigger than 40 litres so there is a limit to the amount of weight you could fit in, and secondly because it is good practice to put the heavy stuff at the bottom where it will be close to your back anyway. The shape of these packs tends to put the weight onto the hips quite well I find, though it might be an issue for climbers more than walkers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A really good store will have a boot ramp. When fitting boots you stand on the 45 degree ramp to see if you toes hit the tip of the boot.

Br. David said:
............. - only problem is that it isn't curved enough to airflow as I would like.

but then ... is there a problem with a curved inner back that the weight is further away from the body - cantilever effect and all that? :|
Hola Br David;
Our packs are Berghaus Airflow and the curve is no problem to either of us. It is wonderful to have some air passing between pack and back. Packing them is easy, weight to bottom, waterproofs in zipped side pockets, or top pocket, water bottles in bottom side pockets, integral pack cover pocket.......etc. Weight approx 1.06kg.

Re earlier posts:
The only problem we have found is that Berghaus change their packs just slightly every season, so the 'Light' mentioned either is no longer made or has changed its name. Similarly, but more confusing, is that the Freeflow Mens' 25 litre has kept its name but changed its style. :roll: We found this out by looking on Amazon last night for a small holiday 'sac for Terry. He ordered the old style (which we are familiar with) but wouldn't want the new as he didn't like the design.
The largest Freeflow pack is 50lts, with various sizes from that down to 20lts

There are other lighter packs but the Freeflow fits us best and other types are just make our backs hot and sticky. For rest days, looking around places, we took Sea to Summit Supersil Daysacs weight 68gms - just to put a fleece or poncho in. Useful for carrying extra food too if tied up small to make a bag.

As usual a really personal choice, and yes, trying out differing styles in the shop is the best way until you find what fits best.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.