Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A longer option for O Barco to A Rua

peregrina2000

Staff member
How about a 24 km, 600 m elevation gain alternative? @Charrito started this whole thing by pointing out that there is a very interesting, abandoned old Pazo on the other side of the river from O Barco. I started searching and found that I could combine to Wikiloc trails to make a 24 km alternative.

It was great, except maybe for the six or 7 km on the side of a very unraveled road at the end (I counted three cars).

First, you go on a very nice trail to the Pazo Arnado. Through lots of very small vineyard plots. Had a nice chat with a man who was working in one of them. Then up high to a 30 m waterfall which was really beautiful. From there up-and-down on beautiful dirt paths with gorgeous views. Is very well marked and very well maintained.From the town of Correxais, there was a beautiful long walk along a ridge, looking down on the dam, the river, and the extremely elongated town of A Rua. It was definitely not the direct route, but then that was not the point. I do think, though, that those last kilometers on the road would be a slog in the hot sun.

I crossed the river into A Rua on the pedestrian Roman bridge in Petín. I’m sure the current bridge is not Roman, but the millario right next to it is genuine, I was told. And as soon as you cross the bridge, there is the Pension Fabio a favorite of some forum members

I was very careful to take lots of pictures, so that you could judge for yourself if you are interested. The pictures are all on my Wikiloc tracks, which I’ve linked below.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks beautiful, especially the waterfall! The landscape is so pretty and green.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie, you never cease to amaze me - not least because of your technical skills. (This is the person who persuaded me to use WhatsApp and, eventually to buy a smartphone.) The Wikilocs thing is brilliant (old-time map & compass guy here) and looking at your photos, I'm itching to go back. Looks like you had brilliant weather. The first time I walked into A Rua it was hitting 40° and I had Covid. I went back last year and finished the journey. IMO, the Invierno is easily the best bit of the whole Camino on the Spanish side.

Laurie, you never cease to amaze me - not least because of your technical skills. (This is the person who persuaded me to use WhatsApp and, eventually to buy a smartphone.) The Wikilocs thing is brilliant (old-time map & compass guy here) and looking at your photos, I'm itching to go back. Looks like you had brilliant weather. The first time I walked into A Rua it was hitting 40° and I had Covid. I went back last year and finished the journey. IMO, the Invierno is easily the best bit of the whole Camino on the Spanish side.
Well, @Glenshiro, I’ve been following your Invierno lodging recommendations and have forced myself 😀 to up my game above standard pilgrim fare on a few occasions!

Interesting alternative. I looked it over in Wikiloc and by using the Open Street map view I see there is a parallel trail just north of yours called the Camino Arnado. It too goes to Correxais and then returns on your recommended trail.

It’s easy to get waylaid in Wikiloc with all the possibilities.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back