• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A New Certificate Being Offered This Year Commemorating St. Francis

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Annie:
Will you post where in ocebreiro we can get the credential??
Thanks.
Rambler

Rambler, I'm trying to find out now. I have heard you can pick it up at the Church in O Cebreiro, but I'm wondering if there's any other place.
Does anyone live in Santiago who can check?
Ivar?
Johnnywalker?

Can we get the Credential in another large city, like Pamplona or Burgos or Leon?
Help?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rambler, I'm trying to find out now. I have heard you can pick it up at the Church in O Cebreiro, but I'm wondering if there's any other place.
Does anyone live in Santiago who can check?
Ivar?
Johnnywalker?

Can we get the Credential in another large city, like Pamplona or Burgos or Leon?
Help?
...And if so, can/should it be used instead of the traditional one for Sellos along the Camino Frances? I had assumed you would have to get them both stamped.
What a great way to focus on St. Francis with our new Pope that has taken his name! This will make this year a special Camino.
Rambler

There is a new Certificate being offered this year to commemorate St. Francis of Assisi's pilgrimage to Santiago. More info here: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-new-certificate-on-camino-cotolaya.html
Hi Annie,
I looked at your link...two questions. First, how do you walk under the protection of St. Francis, and second, if you get the credential in Cebriero, how do you meet the requirement for visiting the convent in Santiago? Are you supposed to walk back?

Kris

Hi Annie,
I looked at your link...two questions. First, how do you walk under the protection of St. Francis, and second, if you get the credential in Cebriero, how do you meet the requirement for visiting the convent in Santiago? Are you supposed to walk back?

Kris
Please skip that...I was confusing the credential with the certificate. The newbie will now sit down and be quiet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Although this initiative by the Franciscans is nothing to do with the Pilgrims' Office let me try and answer the questions:

You don't need a special credencial to obtain the Franciscan certificate we have been sending pilgrims along to the Chruch of Sant Francisco who have arrived with their regular credencial

If however you are starting at Cebreiro or you and walking along the Camino Frances and you need a new credencial the Franciscans at the church in Cebreiro have credenciales

To walk "under the protection of a saint" is a pretty arcane concept for me - I think they will simply give you the certificate if you show them your credencial providing you have walked at least 100 kms

Buen camino

John

To walk "under the protection of a saint" is a pretty arcane concept for me - I think they will simply give you the certificate if you show them your credencial providing you have walked at least 100 kms
If you include St. Francis in your daily prayers or reflections, "St Francis, protect us along this Camino...", or you could pray the Prayer of Peace by St. Francis:
Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master, Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

or his Blessing
May the Lord bless you and keep you;
May the Lord show his face to you and have compassion on you!
May he turn his face to you and give you peace!
Amen.

or his Prayer The Canticle of Brother Sun:
"The Canticle of Brother Sun is spiritual literature from a transition period in which when Latin was slowly becoming Italian. In the twentieth century more than five hundred articles have examined the Canticle and at least ten books have been written about it.
The magnificent hymn expresses the mystical vision of the Saint of Assisi and provides many insights into the life of faith St. Francis led. While the majority of humans tend to become lost in the vastness of the created world, St. Francis was so intimate with the wonders of creation that he embraced them as "Brother" and "Sister," as members of one family.
The final verses, constituting the third section, were written at the death of Saint Francis."
Most High, all powerful, good Lord,
Yours are the praises, the glory, the honor, and all blessing.
To You alone, Most High, do they belong,
and no man is worthy to mention Your name.
Be praised, my Lord, through all your creatures,
especially through my lord Brother Sun,
who brings the day; and you give light through him.
And he is beautiful and radiant in all his splendor!
Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness.
Praise be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon
and the stars, in heaven you formed them
clear and precious and beautiful.
Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Wind,
and through the air, cloudy and serene,
and every kind of weather through which
You give sustenance to Your creatures.
Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Water,
which is very useful and humble and precious and chaste.
Praised be You, my Lord, through Brother Fire,
through whom you light the night and he is beautiful
and playful and robust and strong.
Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Mother Earth,
who sustains us and governs us and who produces
varied fruits with colored flowers and herbs.
Praised be You, my Lord,
through those who give pardon for Your love,
and bear infirmity and tribulation.
Blessed are those who endure in peace
for by You, Most High, they shall be crowned.
Praised be You, my Lord,
through our Sister Bodily Death,
from whom no living man can escape.
Woe to those who die in mortal sin.
Blessed are those whom death will
find in Your most holy willl,
for the second death shall do them no harm.
Praise and bless my Lord, and give Him thanks
and serve Him with great humility. AMEN

Also you could learn a little bit more about his life and his impact and philosophy. Or read some of his writings:
http://www.saintsbooks.net/books/St. Francis of Assisi - Writings.pdf

Mi dos pesetas...
Rambler

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rambler, thank you very much for the St. Francis material. Must make a note to go to the Church of Sant Francisco at Santiago after the Pilgrim's Office.

Andreo the Church of San Francisco is truly worth a visit. If you have time they have a very good museum of the Holy Land. The Franciscans do fantastic work in Santiago by providing an albergue for spiritual retreats for pilgrims in the summer months which doubles as a shelter for homeless people in winter.

Andreo the Church of San Francisco is truly worth a visit. If you have time they have a very good museum of the Holy Land. The Franciscans do fantastic work in Santiago by providing an albergue for spiritual retreats for pilgrims in the summer months which doubles as a shelter for homeless people in winter.

Johnnie, we will be doing the Ingles from Ferrol i take it we would qualify for the Cotolay at the Church of San Francisco? Would they know if we could get the beautiful Credential of St James & St Francis by post from the Franciscans at the church in O Cebreiro and if so (with a donation for postage etc) the address to write to?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

John:

I will be there as an Amigo from 2 June. I will look forward to meeting you and being directed to the Church of St. Francis.

I heard they place the pilgrims in a courtyard frequented by birds. If a bird lands on the pilgrim, they get the certificate. If not, they lead the pilgrims in front of this wolf and if it doesn't attack them, they are clearly under the protection of St. Francis. If it does attack, then clearly St. Francis does not favor them and they should not have had the temerity to seek the worldly recognition that Francis so clearly forsook.

At least, I think that is what I heard, but perhaps I'm mistaken . . .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked to Santiago from Porto, got my normal compostelle, went to my hotel and left my bag. I went off to the pilgrim mass at 12. When I got back to the hotel they had my 'special' compostelle waiting. I did not encounter any hungry wolves or incontinent pigeons! I did not know it was available until it was given to me with my name on it! So obtaining it was not that difficult at all!

I love the birds nonsense . As silly as the myth that Francis walked the camino .

Wishful thinking plus tourism promotion.

Just walk it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We picked up a new passport in O Cebreiro and were under the impression that the St Francis credential would be given to anyone who completed the journey to Santiago from that point. It was clear when we got to Santiago that anyone who walked from at least Sarria and showed any type of passport would get the certificate. The reality was somewhat disappointing with a monk giving a certificate to anyone who lined up and made a donation. Pilgrims were slightly intimidated by a minder who monitored the queue and despite my friend and I giving a very generous donation(that he had not witnessed) followed us out of the room and physically placed his hands on us to ask us again for money.
St Francis is my friend Louise's favourite saint and it meant a lot to her to walk the same path and have a special memento of the journey the experience proved to be just another cash cow and a real disappointment.

It is true. You can use your regular credential to obtain the Cotolaya. The Cotolaya credential is important to some people - another memento of their walk. The donation may have been in lieu of having a Cotolaya credential.

We had already paid for the credential in O Cebreiro and were very generous when we received our special certificate (more than a night in an Albergue) it was more about the level of intimidation.
Maybe a small levy on all accommodations in Santiago or even better a small donation from every hotel who get pilgrim bookings would be a better way of funding the Cathedral renovations or other charity projects?
It is true. You can use your regular credential to obtain the Cotolaya. The Cotolaya credential is important to some people - another memento of their walk. The donation may have been in lieu of having a Cotolaya credential.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I missed the time today by about 10 minutes, so did not get the Franciscan certificate. I did run into a group of Italian pilgrims who I met on the Ruta Ingles earlier this week who had just received theirs, which leads me to believe you really just show up with your completed credential and possibly your regular Compostela. And 8 euro.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403446882.590825.jpg

I missed the time today by about 10 minutes, so did not get the Franciscan certificate. I did run into a group of Italian pilgrims who I met on the Ruta Ingles earlier this week who had just received theirs, which leads me to believe you really just show up with your completed credential and possibly your regular Compostela. And 8 euro.

View attachment 11056
I go the St. Francis certificate and was only asked to donate something. The times open when I was in Santiago was 10 - 11 am and 5 - 7 pm.
Stefania

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back