• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A question of "Intimacy"

A

Anonymous

OK, Disclaimer time....I read the posts in this forum and think it's an incredible resource or information for novices planning their Pilgrimage. The following question is of a light hearted nature involving human need for intimacy. If such a topic offends you and your beliefs, or you feel the Camino is no place for such things, read no further.

Bottom line is, we're all human, of various degrees of mental state and comfort level. This question simply asks "How?"

Let me expand. You are in that place in life and commit to the pilgrimage. Now, it's been a few days or weeks, and you are away from the real world. You hook up with people on the trail or inns or pubs, and nature being nature, get this need for some intimacy.

Not you of course. That would be wrong. :lol:

So the question is, when in a crowded environment where dozens sleep in the same dorm room in bunk beds, how do people sneak in a moment of intimacy?? :?: Walk into the woods? Rent a room? Back of a building? 150,000 people a year, there has got to be some things you witnessed or heard about....
Like I said....all in fun... :D
Share the dirt? :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ha! I once (many years ago) wrote a blog post on this very topic. :) As someone who has stayed in a couple hundred hostels in a couple dozen countries, I've seen my share of stuff. Basically it comes down to this:

do it where you can without impacting others (this includes not leaving behind any evidence).

Don't be one of the couples who thinks hanging a sheet over the front of their bunk gives them enough privacy to do the deed while others are in the room without everyone knowing because I don't care *how* quiet you are, you're not *that* quiet. :)

Suggested locations based on other traveler suggestions (because I would certainly never do anything like that!) (these apply to more *ahem* solo activities as well):

* bath/shower rooms after everyone is asleep but only if you can lock the door to keep midnight marauders out and still give them access to necessary facilities
* ditto the above to any common living area but beware that you could be interrupted at any time (I once heard a couple going at it in the living room of a hostel late at night when I was going to my room. Couldn't sit down on any of those couches for the rest of my stay.)
* If you're adult enough to wanna hook up you should be adult enough to plan for it, so get a double room for the night (this is the best, least stressful option)
* Go take a long walk (bring something to sit on)
* Quickie in the bathroom of a bar
* During the day, head off trail a bit into the woods and commune with nature
* Rooftops can be good for some alone time
* Linen/supply closets and laundry rooms can be handy

I hadn't thought of going onto the roof, but I suppose it could work if it wasn't one of those houses with the dodgy roof tiles. :lol:

As far as I know Spanish hostal owners never check your marital status before giving you a room any more. The problem is that a 'habitacion doble' usually means 2 single beds, so you have to ask for a 'habitacion con cama matrimonial', which could be a bit of a passion killer.

Otherwise outside, preferably under the stars. :D

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The short answer is to get a room. Almost every stopping place on the Camino has pensions, fondas, hostales, casas rurales, paradors and hotels. There's no excuse for depriving others of their sleep.

You never kiss and tell Alan.
Have seen many commencing but never finishing :D ..... :cry:

Treat a lady like a lady as use a pension.
In the albergue have a cold shower.

Would be worn out getting on the roof Vagabondette

When I walked the CF with my friend Frances we were idly considering what the journey would have been like if our husbands had come with us and the intimacy issue was briefly discussed. As fairly knackered middle aged pilgrims we both agreed our response would be along the lines of "Darling I don't care what we do or where we do it as long as you don't wake me up while we doing it" :lol:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.