• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Ramallosa to Vigo Route

Kev&Kath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Oct/Dec 2021
VdlP - Apr/Jun 2023
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a few walking options - the 'da Costa', in particular, has a marked detour to Freixo. For those CP veterans - is the move 'inland' (particularly for the visit to Freixo) recommended? Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a few walking options - the 'da Costa', in particular, has a marked detour to Freixo. For those CP veterans - is the move 'inland' (particularly for the visit to Freixo) recommended? Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers!
I took the coastal alternative as (IIRC) it was recommended in Gronze. I havenā€™t walked the inland route so I canā€™t compare the two, and Freixo doesnā€™t ring a bell for me. But hereā€™s my entry for that day anyway, if it helps.

Day 7: Itā€™s foggy again as I set out this morning but it isnā€™t nearly as thick as yesterday, and at this point the fog has become an inseparable part of this camino ā€” and of this mystical land. By 11am, the fog clears and itā€™s sunny for the rest of the walk.

This is the last day of my camino, and thatā€™s usually accompanied by a sense of excitement at approaching Santiago. But today Iā€™m only going to Vigo, a large and unattractive city whose best feature might be its good transport connections with Lisbon. On one hand, this will be a somewhat anticlimactic end to this little camino; on the other, I can enjoy the walk without being consumed by my impending arrival, because, really, I donā€™t want to arrive. And Iā€™m not the only one; at one point today, I see a pilgrim laying on the beach, propped up by her backpack, reading a book.

From A Ramallosa, I take the coastal route, as do quite a few others. Itā€™s a nice path, passing a few local, low-key beaches and some cruzeiros to remind me where I am.

As I approach Vigo in the early afternoon, the city is fortunately hidden by coves and bays and I donā€™t actually see it until Iā€™m basically in the outskirts. And then I have to walk through an urban jungle for an hour, but itā€™s not bad and thereā€™s some street art to look at and before I know it, Iā€™m at my accommodation and my camino is over.

As for the question Iā€™ve been pondering throughout this pilgrimage ā€” ā€˜Does this feel like a camino?ā€™ ā€” I think the answer lies inside each individual pilgrim more than anywhere else. If you take the Senda Litoral at every opportunity and stay overnight in the touristy beach towns, I suspect it doesnā€™t feel much like a camino. And if youā€™re just here for the ocean, youā€™d be better off on the Rota Vicentina, which is both more remote and more spectacular.

But if you look for the camino here, youā€™ll find it ā€” in the monastery of Oia, where monks fired canons at pirates from the patio that also served as the pilgrim route; in the 9th-century church inscription mentioning Santiago in Castelo do Neiva; and in those quintessential and special markers of Galician culture: the cruzeiros and the shells and the hĆ³rreos and, yes, even the fog.

View attachment 131827

I took the coastal alternative as (IIRC) it was recommended in Gronze. I havenā€™t walked the inland route so I canā€™t compare the two, and Freixo doesnā€™t ring a bell for me. But hereā€™s my entry for that day anyway, if it helps.
jungleboy...yes that does help...thank you. I sense it will be Litoral (and Espiritual) to Santiago! Thank you again!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I've walked both routes, but not the Freixo detour. I preferred the inland route, as it has less built up areas. Inland has more variety, with a few paths into forested areas. It's all pretty much a big suburb of Vigo though.

Hi, I've walked both routes, but not the Freixo detour. I preferred the inland route, as it has less built up areas. Inland has more variety, with a few paths into forested areas. It's all pretty much a big suburb of Vigo though.
Thanks Jill...appreciated!

Hi @Kev&Kath I have done both routes and they are distinct, separate choices and each are lovely, depending on your own preferences. I have not done the Freixo route, but you will see turnoffs for it along the coastal. Here is my complete documentation of each, the Coastal Route and the Senda Litoral, for you to compare! Happy discernment, on which is best for you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I also meant to say that the Senda Litoral is by far the more crowded, at least for us in September, so if finding fewer pilgrims are your focus, then the Coastal would work better. The Coastal is harder, with more climbing, but also more history, walking on Roman roads and past muiƱos (old mills). The Coastal is definitely cooler in the forest as well! If you have had enough beach walking, consider the Coastal. More food for thought....

Elle..thank you so much! I just opened your website...so much to explore. I'll read both route reports and see where that leads my planning. Certainly hoping to stick fairly closely to the Litoral, but a break from the coast, at some stage of the pilgrimage, might be welcomed. Again...thanks for your guidance!!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? Iā€™m here šŸ˜Šand I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50ā€™s to 60ā€™s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back