• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baiona to Vigo - Break Journey

GlennJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned Camino: Portuguese (April-May 2024)
I’m looking for recommendations for a suitable accommodation between Baiona and Vigo, preferably in a private room, although I’m open to suggestions in an albergue.

Gronze indicates the Baiona-Vigo stretch (Litoral) to be about 25+ km. So some place midway would be ideal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gronze indicates the Baiona-Vigo stretch (Litoral) to be about 25+ km. So some place midway would be ideal.
There are quite a number of places on the 'official' camino route shown on Gronze, fewer on the coastal route. Are you expecting someone to suggest a place that isn't listed in Gronze?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m looking for recommendations for a suitable accommodation between Baiona and Vigo, preferably in a private room, although I’m open to suggestions in an albergue.

I understand your situation, GlennJ, because we went through the same conundrum in 2018. We didn't want to walk the entire 25 km stretch between Baiona and Vigo in one day, but could not find anything midway. So we stayed in Nigrán, which is a Spanish beach resort town about 9 km up the coast, leaving the remaining walk to Vigo for the next day. It wasn't ideal (Nigrán not very interesting unless you like to lie on the beach) but it was the best we could come up with at the time. We compensated a bit by leaving Baiona late, about noon, taking some time to visit the replica of Columbus' ship Pinta in the harbor.

Unless you are a "every step" kind of person, then walking as far as you can then taxi would likely be better.
Baiona is a beautiful stop with its pleasant cafes but the last few miles into Vigo is not much fun (on the coastal route). Vigo is an industrial town and it shows on the outskirts where you are coming through the shipbuilding section plus industrial type buildings.

Or switch to the inland route as Elle suggests above.

Exiting Vigo on the other hand is very pleasant with great views over the estuary.

There's a bus that runs from Baiona to Vigo. When I walked, I took the first bus of the day to A Ramallosa which cut 4-5 km off the day. I'm not sure what route it takes after A Ramallosa. By the way, there's nothing open in Ramallosa at 7:00 am. Playa Americana is the closest cup of coffee at 8.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back