• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Winter Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Yesterday I got a notice for a flight from Portland to Madrid round trip for $650!!

It made me think I really might enjoy a winter Camino.

So I'm asking here for advice, suggestions, notes, and stories from people who have walked between December and February on any route, not just the CF.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie,

"If they asked me I could write a book ..."

Here is some relevant info re the CF to get the potential snowball rolling!

Any season can be a wonderful time to walk, but in winter you MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by a Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the Camino Frances would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this recent hazardous situation. During summer 2015 local authorities have decided that the Napoleon route will be closed from November 1 to April 1. Read more here.

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. A new list of albergues Open in Winter should be available as a 2015/2016 Forum resource.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

In cold weather periodic bar stops throughout any walking day are necessary for a warm seat, coffee, hot chocolate or fresh orange juice and the loo. In Léon hot chocolate is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Served with freshly made crullers it is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for trekking! For another delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice. No champagne has ever tasted better! I always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open during the off season! My basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Often these same ingredients serve as a predawn breakfast hours before any Spanish bar would dream of opening!

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Happy research and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi @Anniesantiago
I did Sevilla-Salamanca February 2014 and had no trouble with cold weather. Wore a thin wool long-sleeved t-shirt and a thin jacket plus at times a rain poncho and I was fine. In the mornings also a thin pair of wool gloves, all from Decathlon so extremely reasonable.
What we did encounter were high arroyos but except for the one into Guillena (detour) I crossed with my shoes on - the highest up to my knees

A few of the usual albergues were closed but there was always an economical solution.

The Plata would be my recommendation but then again I don't like real cold weather and am cautious walking in ice and snow given I have osteoporosis.

If you need more info let me know.

Cheers
LT

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yesterday I got a notice for a flight from Portland to Madrid round trip for $650!!

So I'm asking here for advice, suggestions, notes, and stories from people who have walked between December and February on any route, not just the CF.

My son and I did the VDLP from Sevilla in January this year. It was a wonderful trip for us. Be prepared for cold and solitude. Notwithstanding that we met two pilgrims that will be friends for life I reckon. I've convinced my wife to begin at Caceres this December.

Hi Annie, a winter camino is also on my bucket list. It’s the challenge. But I think for me it will have to be the Camino Frances, because of the infrastructure that’s in place along that route . . . I’m thinking of walking del Norte in Oct/Nov next year, so maybe, once I’ve checked in with Santiago, and if he gives me the thumbs up, I could walk BACK along the Camino Frances towards home (well the airport back to home). Now that would be a challenge . . . . :eek:

Love reading this. Putting things into perspective, what is the snow on groud level in parts of thr CF? Here in Canada peiple in Toronto think they have had a blizzard if there is snow on the ground in the am and call the military. I can appreciate that day after day it adds up, but what is really out there?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'll be starting my Camino (Frances) on 24/11 (provided O'Leary doesn't make even more cancellations!!!) and hope to walk into Santiago on New Years Eve. I think I have my basic essential kit sorted and managed to get it to 6.5kg which is a little over my '10%' but feels comfortable enough to walk with. However, I have some items I'm still debating about adding:

Small coil immersion thingy: (with a few tea bags and packet soups) - I'm figuring worst case scenario I would always then be able to have a mug of hot soup if I can't find anything else open - have other winter walkers ever found there is absolutely nothing open in the evenings? Would you consider it an 'essential'.

I have one pair of warm trekking trousers (no zip-off option) and one pair of warm trail running trews which I can make warmer by adding long johns (doubling up as pj's) underneath - but should I maybe bring some lighter weight running tights for if/when the weather is actually warmer? Does you ever get warm days in December?

Will I need a plate/spork/mug?

Finally - I currently have a 1 season sleeping bag which weighs 1.1 kg and could bring a silk liner for added warmth - or, I could splash out £120 and buy a 2/3 season bag which comes in at 780 g. Before I press 'buy' would a 1 season bag be warm enough?

Trish K,

Lucky you to be walking this winter!

Do indeed take a emersion coil water heater, a cup which will not burn your lip and at least a spoon. These can help make your journey so much more comfortable especially in winter when many seasonal restos/bars will be closed.

For many comments/posts from other users see this earlier thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Happy planning, stay safe and warm and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Thanks for that link mspath! A thousand answers to my first question - ha ha! I borrowed one from my daughter for a 3 month trip to South East Asia earlier this year and it was my once a week treat to have a nice mug of Earl Grey! I'm now definitely going to invest in one of my own for this trip. Realised it could have an additional use of heating up some water to put in a bottle to use as a hot water bottle in bed on the chilly nights!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be starting my Camino (Frances) on 24/11 (provided O'Leary doesn't make even more cancellations!!!) and hope to walk into Santiago on New Years Eve. I think I have my basic essential kit sorted and managed to get it to 6.5kg which is a little over my '10%' but feels comfortable enough to walk with. However, I have some items I'm still debating about adding:

Small coil immersion thingy: (with a few tea bags and packet soups) - I'm figuring worst case scenario I would always then be able to have a mug of hot soup if I can't find anything else open - have other winter walkers ever found there is absolutely nothing open in the evenings? Would you consider it an 'essential'.

I have one pair of warm trekking trousers (no zip-off option) and one pair of warm trail running trews which I can make warmer by adding long johns (doubling up as pj's) underneath - but should I maybe bring some lighter weight running tights for if/when the weather is actually warmer? Does you ever get warm days in December?

Will I need a plate/spork/mug?

Finally - I currently have a 1 season sleeping bag which weighs 1.1 kg and could bring a silk liner for added warmth - or, I could splash out £120 and buy a 2/3 season bag which comes in at 780 g. Before I press 'buy' would a 1 season bag be warm enough?
===================
Hi Trish,
Those immersion coil take-practically-forever-to-boil thingies don't work too well without electricity (what if you want soup in the middle of nowhere?) ... would a propane stove be within your weight limit? As for a one season bag, what I did (more than once because of my cheapness) was to "layer" two single season bags together ... the first inner bag was a mummy type bag and the second outer bag was the usual rectangular quilt one (snug fit one inside the other) ... worked more than fine but I was car camping so weight and space weren't issues ... unsure if 6.5 kilos would be enough gear to ensure safety ... be sure to bring a portable battery charging device because cellphone batteries don't handle the cold too well ... best to bring an insulated water container also ... just my two cents (worth of advice) ...

Thanks for advice Jay. The coil I have boils pretty quick - I'm taking it more as an emergency for when I get to an albergue at the end of the day and nothing is open. It's then I'll want something warm. During the day, I'm hoping to find at least one place on-route to buy a sandwich and a hot coffee, but if not, then cold water will suffice and I'll always carry some snacks with me. I do have a jet stove, but decided it's too heavy with the gas canister etc. I've also now purchased a 2-3 season bag, as I was able to find one that weighs 0.78kg, so less than my one season - so that weight saving will allow me to throw in my portable charger!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for advice Jay. The coil I have boils pretty quick - I'm taking it more as an emergency for when I get to an albergue at the end of the day and nothing is open. It's then I'll want something warm. During the day, I'm hoping to find at least one place on-route to buy a sandwich and a hot coffee, but if not, then cold water will suffice and I'll always carry some snacks with me. I do have a jet stove, but decided it's too heavy with the gas canister etc. I've also now purchased a 2-3 season bag, as I was able to find one that weighs 0.78kg, so less than my one season - so that weight saving will allow me to throw in my portable charger!

Lucky for you that your emergencies aren't like mine (no one I know has emergencies like mine) ... there was a time wherein I thought that the person up there hated me and simply ran out of thunderbolts (or meteors) ... what sustained me ages ago was hot oatmeal, Jamon Serrano, and cheese galore ... fruits were expensive so I ate raw carrots ... bakeries should be plentiful ... I went to bakeries when I ran out of butane for my stove ...

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.