• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation at the beginning of the Norte

sjdaotearoa

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2018)
Camino del Norte (2023)
Hi. I'm looking for info or suggestions from anyone who has walked the Norte recently. We are a group of 8 starting at the beginning of July. I trust the spring/long weekend rush will have subsided by then, but that's not what this question is about! We're arriving in Biarritz, will stay there overnight then bus/train to Irun the following day. Some of our group are only with us for a week so we're heading straight for the scenic stretch. So between getting to Irun the next day, picking up some credentials, food and a dash to Decathlon for some poles, I think it's a bit ambitious to think we'll get to San Sebastián on the first day. Or maybe some of you have done that and it is do-able? I've checked Gronze and my apps, and accommodation in Pasajes de San Juan & San Pedro seems slim at best - 1 Albergue with 14 beds and one hotel. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information. On my last Camino it was just me so 'didn't have to worry much about logistics! We'll be down to 2 people within 10 days but just trying to make the experience good for those only joining us at the beginning. Buen Camino :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are a group of 8 starting at the beginning of July. I trust the spring/long weekend rush will have subsided by then
I know your question isn't about timing, but you should know that the busy period of the Camino del Norte doesn't coincide with the busy times on the Francés. On the Norte the accommodation crunch is in July and August. This is due to the popularity of the Northern Coast as a tourist destination in the summer months, and the fact that there aren't that many dedicated pilgrim albergues. This puts pilgrims in competition with tourists for beds/rooms. Be prepared to pay more for accommodations. The hotel in Pasajes seems a bit expensive, but might be the best option for your group. You could also try finding a place on Airbnb.
Another option would be to book two nights in San Sebastian - taxi there when you get to Pasajes, and in the morning taxi back.

I know your question isn't about timing, but you should know that the busy period of the Camino del Norte doesn't coincide with the busy times on the Francés. On the Norte the accommodation crunch is in July and August. This is due to the popularity of the Northern Coast as a tourist destination in the summer months, and the fact that there aren't that many dedicated pilgrim albergues. This puts pilgrims in competition with tourists for beds/rooms. Be prepared to pay more for accommodations. The hotel in Pasajes seems a bit expensive, but might be the best option for your group. You could also try finding a place on Airbnb.
Another option would be to book two nights in San Sebastian - taxi there when you get to Pasajes, and in the morning taxi back.
Thanks @trecile - not what I wanted to hear but good to have a heads up ;-/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or: Book 2 nights in San Sebastian, take train to Irun with only a day pack (1L of water, snacks, etc) and walk back to your hotel. The only reason I found it a 'trying' day is that I arrived fairly late for night one and I was really jet-lagged while walking. Enjoy the food in San Sebastian. :)

Hi. I'm looking for info or suggestions from anyone who has walked the Norte recently. We are a group of 8 starting at the beginning of July. I trust the spring/long weekend rush will have subsided by then, but that's not what this question is about! We're arriving in Biarritz, will stay there overnight then bus/train to Irun the following day. Some of our group are only with us for a week so we're heading straight for the scenic stretch. So between getting to Irun the next day, picking up some credentials, food and a dash to Decathlon for some poles, I think it's a bit ambitious to think we'll get to San Sebastián on the first day. Or maybe some of you have done that and it is do-able? I've checked Gronze and my apps, and accommodation in Pasajes de San Juan & San Pedro seems slim at best - 1 Albergue with 14 beds and one hotel. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information. On my last Camino it was just me so 'didn't have to worry much about logistics! We'll be down to 2 people within 10 days but just trying to make the experience good for those only joining us at the beginning. Buen Camino :)
Not sure if anyone else replied but also check the timing of the Tour de France as I read that the route is near / through that area sometime around June/July. Can’t find the details right now. Hope that helps.

To suggest another option - because of jet lag, we chose to stay for two nights at the beautiful town of Hondaribea just a half hour walk from Irun (or E25 bus). We split the first leg ie from Hondaribea we walked to Passaje de S Juan, then returned by train from Herrera to Irun, and so back to Hondaribea. The following day, we picked up where we left off at the fountain at the Passajes where the ferry had dropped us off, heading to San Sebastian. This took a great deal of pressure off the walk and offered us invaluable time to enjoy this special landscape. We stayed at the Hotel San Nikolas in the centre of the old city and purchased poles at a Deportez Gonzales Sports store (check opening hours) in Irun on the main road between the railway station and the Albergue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tour de France starts the 1st of July with a Bilbao-Bilbao stage, the stage the next day is from Vitoria to San Sebastian, and the 3d from Amorebieta to Bayonne.

Anyway, when you are travelling with 8-10 people it may not be realistic to all sleep at the same place all the time. No drama, but maybe something to be aware of.

With a group of 8 on the Norte I would definitely book everything (well) in advance. Or accept that you will have to divide yourselves over several accomodations. Options are rather scarce on the Norte and (like @trecile wrote) you will be competing with lots of tourists on the northern coast. Also expect paying more for accomodation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In
Or: Book 2 nights in San Sebastian, take train to Irun with only a day pack (1L of water, snacks, etc) and walk back to your hotel. The only reason I found it a 'trying' day is that I arrived fairly late for night one and I was really jet-lagged while walking. Enjoy the food in San Sebastian. :)
I did exactly this (tho got bus San Sebastián to Irun). 100% recommend it.

If you have chores to do on arrival - such as supermarket/decathlon - I would just spend the first night in Irun and then walk to San Sebastian the next morning. And yes - you are going in the busy "tourist" season so plan ahead - especially the cities.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
San Sabastian is definitely worth two nights and I wouldn't have wanted to miss what it has to offer.
One of my favorite things beyond the historic area and food offerings was hiking up to the "Bateria de Santa Clara Alta" fortress overlooking the bays with stunning bird's eye views. Meandering lush paths surround the perimeter all the way to the top.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.