• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Second "Half" of the Norte

ProGearKJ5

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2020)
Hi:

I just finished walking from Irun to Villaviciosa on the Norte cutting off the Norte shortly after to walk the Primivito to Santiago. I'd like to know how people who have done the complete Norte feel about the balance of the Norte that I didn't do (from Villaviciosa to Santiago). Did you enjoy it more, less or the same as Irun to that point? Was the scenery similar? Did the towns get progressively smaller and perhaps less numbers of general tourists? What differences from the first "half" stood out to you?I'm trying to gauge my interest in coming back and finishing the Norte from where I left off. Thanks for your help!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've walked the complete Norte in the past. This year I started in Biarritz and then took the Primitivo after Villaviciosa. I was rather sad that last day, knowing that I wouldn't see all the lovely towns and beautiful coastline of the second half of the Norte.
There were definitely fewer pilgrims on the Norte after the split, and it was easier to find a bed, and it seemed that albergue prices were a little lower.
While I enjoyed the Primitivo, I do think that there terrain is more varied on that last part of the Norte.

I've walked the complete Norte in the past. This year I started in Biarritz and then took the Primitivo after Villaviciosa. I was rather sad that last day, knowing that I wouldn't see all the lovely towns and beautiful coastline of the second half of the Norte.
There were definitely fewer pilgrims on the Norte after the split, and it was easier to find a bed, and it seemed that albergue prices were a little lower.
While I enjoyed the Primitivo, I do think that there terrain is more varied on that last part of the Norte.
Thanks! While I loved the Primitivo, I also missed the scenery of the Norte and the friends I had made up to the turnoff. Sounds like I need to go back and experience the remainder of the Norte!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd suggest that you have 2 options from Villaviciosa and its giant wooden barrels. Option 1 is to do the Primitivo, the "standard" option.

The second is to continue the Norte through the Asturias coastline, onto the Ruta do Mar to Ferrol and then down the Ingles. You get a lot of coast for your money plus you can complete another Camino (Ingles) if you collect Caminos.

There are, of course, even more options than 2 such as continuing from Ferrol on the Camino dos Faros, to Muxia/Finisterre and then Santiago - anything to avoid that last part on the Frances.

I'd suggest that you have 2 options from Villaviciosa and its giant wooden barrels. Option 1 is to do the Primitivo, the "standard" option.

The second is to continue the Norte through the Asturias coastline, onto the Ruta do Mar to Ferrol and then down the Ingles. You get a lot of coast for your money plus you can complete another Camino (Ingles) if you collect Caminos.

There are, of course, even more options than 2 such as continuing from Ferrol on the Camino dos Faros, to Muxia/Finisterre and then Santiago - anything to avoid that last part on the Frances.
Great options and your thoughts are much appreciated.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I haven't done the Primitivo though I hope to do so in the future. But my wife and I really enjoyed the second half of the Norte this past spring. We took several coastal variations and enjoyed exploring the castos that once held large settlements. I also hope to someday do the coastal route from Ribadeo to Ferrol and then the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

Hi:

I just finished walking from Irun to Villaviciosa on the Norte cutting off the Norte shortly after to walk the Primivito to Santiago. I'd like to know how people who have done the complete Norte feel about the balance of the Norte that I didn't do (from Villaviciosa to Santiago). Did you enjoy it more, less or the same as Irun to that point? Was the scenery similar? Did the towns get progressively smaller and perhaps less numbers of general tourists? What differences from the first "half" stood out to you?I'm trying to gauge my interest in coming back and finishing the Norte from where I left off. Thanks for your help!
Hi there! As always enjoying to read about other pilgrims experiences. I walked the full Norte a few years ago and it was fantastic. How is the weather? I am getting ready to go back in a few days. Over here in Texas is getting rather chilly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi:

Hi, I walked the Norte last June, the "2" half was definitely quieter, and slower paced, more chilled out, the scenery is stunning, as are the smaller albergues, my highlight was staying in the monastery at Sobrado....

Hi there! As always enjoying to read about other pilgrims experiences. I walked the full Norte a few years ago and it was fantastic. How is the weather? I am getting ready to go back in a few days. Over here in Texas is getting rather chilly.
I started on August 30th and walked through September and ended on October 4th. Other than my first week, the weather was awesome!! Little to no rain, and mild temperatures. The days were getting shorter at the end and the mornings colder but it should still be great by the time you get there! Buen Camino!

I'm trying to gauge my interest in coming back and finishing the Norte from where I left off. Thanks for your help!
For work holiday reasons I had to split the Norte into 2 parts. They were very different mainly (I believe) because the first part I did in March/April and the second part in August. During the first part the weather was quite hostile - very cold and quite wet, with some light snow and drafty albergues more suited to summer pilgrims. Not many people after Bilbao, so quite a detached existence.
The second half from Ribadasella in August was just beautiful, 'living the dream' every day. We gradually formed a young, fluid, happy camino family, constituting mainly school students and folks on their annual holiday. I remember the beaches at Gijon and just past Tapia as busy with holidaymakers, but never an issue - just vibrant with families enjoying a happy time. And still plenty of other gorgeous empty beaches to swim, all the way up to Ribadeo. And after Ribadeo those pretty rolling hills to Mondonedo, Miraz, Sobrado.. it's all gravy.
So I'd say, picking your month is as important to the character of a camino as the topography, vistas, culture, path etc. But there's really no reason at all for not doing that second half.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

A fellow Norte pilgrim mentioned in passing that one should be careful continuing on to the Ruta Do Mar & Ingles if you collect Caminos because the pilgrims office is tricky about ‘double dipping’.
I didn’t pay close attention but wondered if others might share their wisdom or if in fact it was ‘fake news’ 🤷‍♀️ shared in good faith.

A fellow Norte pilgrim mentioned in passing that one should be careful continuing on to the Ruta Do Mar & Ingles if you collect Caminos because the pilgrims office is tricky about ‘double dipping’.
I didn’t pay close attention but wondered if others might share their wisdom or if in fact it was ‘fake news’ 🤷‍♀️ shared in good faith.
If you finish on the Inglés from Ferrol there should be absolutely no problem with getting a Compostela since it's a recognized route over 100 km.
If you want a distance certificate I recommend keeping track of the distance yourself to tell the volunteer at the Pilgrim Office.

If you finish on the Inglés from Ferrol there should be absolutely no problem with getting a Compostela since it's a recognized route over 100 km.
If you want a distance certificate I recommend keeping track of the distance yourself to tell the volunteer at the Pilgrim Office.
I guess the question might have been can you still get a Norte Compostela if you began in Irun?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started on August 30th and walked through September and ended on October 4th. Other than my first week, the weather was awesome!! Little to no rain, and mild temperatures. The days were getting shorter at the end and the mornings colder but it should still be great by the time you get there! Buen Camino!
Thanks so much for your prompt response. I am excited.

I guess the question might have been can you still get a Norte Compostela if you began in Irun?
There's no such thing as a specific "Norte Compostela.". All Compostelas are the same, and are awarded to those who walk (or ride a horse) the final 100 km to Santiago on a route recognized by the Pilgrim Office. Or cycle the final 200 km.

In the same Norte vein, Lots of forum members ask about 10-day to 2-week Camino options. No one has mentioned Ribadeo to Santiago (that I can remember). What do you all think about this section of the Norte for a shorter walk? Would you anticipate meeting many fellow peregrinos?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In the same Norte vein, Lots of forum members ask about 10-day to 2-week Camino options. No one has mentioned Ribadeo to Santiago (that I can remember). What do you all think about this section of the Norte for a shorter walk? Would you anticipate meeting many fellow peregrinos?
The number of other pilgrims would depend on the season. When I've walked that section in June and July there were plenty of other pilgrims to socialize with, but not an overwhelming amount. There is a current thread right now from @Happyinharrogate who is currently on the Norte, and he is finding much fewer pilgrims.

A friend and I walked from Ribadeo to Santiago at the end of May in 10 days. The first couple of days were very steep, but it was a wonderful experience. We met very few people (until we joined the Frances) but met up again and again in the evenings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I arrive in Asturias on Tues and am still undecided about whether to do the Norte from Aviles (never walked this section) or the Primitivo, which I’ve walked before but I think will be a little busier ie: more company. I’m leaning toward the Norte even though I know it will be quieter as I like to be somewhere new - so I’m now looking at weather comparisons - it looks like it’s going to be pretty wet either way so which would people choose in rainy conditions?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.