• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation in Porto

Old Kiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for that long? If not has any body got any suggestions for a very cheap place to stay.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If not a quick google search should turn up a reasonable hotel - I found one just across from the cathedral back in 2020 so I will not quote any prices. Beun Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The albergue in Porto isn’t close to the cathedral so I didn’t stay there. There aren’t any other albergues. I stayed at Lost Inn Hostel which is literally right at the steps of the cathedral. It was definitely more of a youth hostel but I’m in my 40s and felt fine. They do have some private rooms, which might suit you and your daughter.

I stayed at The House of Sandeman. Was fabulous. There are also private rooms, other wise male, female or mixed bunk rooms. They do a €10 pilgrims meal in the evening but also very close to restaurants etc. Beautiful views of the river from the common area particularly at sunrise and sunset, breakfast included or they will pack a breakfast for you if you want to leave early. I stayed 2 nights and it was nice to meet some other pilgrims before I started walking, many of whom I then met again along the way.IMG_3214.jpeg

I stayed for 2 nights in the Gallery Hostel, which I really liked. I must admit that I’m intrigued by the feedback on The House of Sandeman eg @TashH and may try that next time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed for 2 nights in the Gallery Hostel, which I really liked. I must admit that I’m intrigued by the feedback on The House of Sandeman eg @TashH and may try that next time.
It was lovely! Everything I needed and wanted before I started walking. Looking forward to going back again one day. Drinking my morning coffee, sitting at the window watching the rising sun glistening on Porto was worth it alone!IMG_3210.jpeg

My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for that long? If not has any body got any suggestions for a very cheap place to stay.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in Youropo- The Tower. Nice place that would accommodate you and your daughter and easy to get everywhere - private key and code to come and go as you please (I also stayed for a few days). Not cheap but not expensive either. A friend also walking the Way stayed at the Porto Wine Hostel that I think was a little cheaper that was also nice and close by everything.

Great hostal to stay is the spot hostal 7 mins from metro station available on booking .com.as many nights as you like also single room accomodation breakfast included. I've stai lots of hostals in Porto this is best

Albergue de Peregrinos do Porto is a short walk from Metro station Carolina Michaelis and 2 km from the cathedral. Multiple nights are possible and you can book through their website, albergueperegrinosporto.pt. Excellent albergue with beautiful garden!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes! Contact Miguel or Bernardo at Albergue de Peregrinos Porto. Great place, clean sheets.

It was lovely! Everything I needed and wanted before I started walking. Looking forward to going back again one day. Drinking my morning coffee, sitting at the window watching the rising sun glistening on Porto was worth it alone!View attachment 166733
Hi Tash, I think you sold me too. Going on August... this looks just great! thank you for sharing.

The albergue for pilgrims in Porto (https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt/) allows to stay there more than one night. I stayed there for 2 nights last October and at the same time, a pilgrim from Germany stayed for 5 nights. I am not certain what arrangements the German pilgrim had but this albergue is for the pilgrims starting and/or finishing the camino. The condition is to have a credential. The people in charge of the albegue are very proud of their city and they are happy when people spend time in Porto. Happy staying in Porto.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in Yes! Hostel, which was quite nice with a communal dinner. But (understandably) it reminded me more of the hostels I stayed at while backpacking around Europe in my 20s than it did the albergues I enjoy while on Camino.

My husband and I stayed in two different lodgings in Porto last April and June.

One was the albergue in the Porto train station. It’s called The Passenger Hostel.
We took the train from Lisbon and the hostel entrance is INSIDE the station. The location is perfect (near cathedral, food, attractions, etc). The rooms and bathrooms are all updated. The albergue is also quiet at night for sleeping. They also have laundry facilities (washer/dryers).

The room we were give was big enough for more than four people. There are also bunk rooms, but we were easing into our pilgrim life.

The other was the Porto Wine Hostel. This one is much smaller than the Passenger Hostal.How old is your daughter? I checked their website. However, they are posting no children. I liked the location for this one because of the park and free tours (with donation) near by. There is also an historic ‘student’s cafe’ around the corner. I believe it’s allied the Cafe Piolho D’ouro. It originally opened in 1909. It’s a historic gathering place for students, teachers, and political insurrectionists. Prices are reasonable and food yummy…but I digress. 🫣

My first choice would be the Passenger Hostel because of its location and the variety of evening activities that may be available.

Both can be reserved via Booking.com.
👣🎒💖

I stayed at The House of Sandeman. Was fabulous. There are also private rooms, other wise male, female or mixed bunk rooms. They do a €10 pilgrims meal in the evening but also very close to restaurants etc. Beautiful views of the river from the common area particularly at sunrise and sunset, breakfast included or they will pack a breakfast for you if you want to leave early. I stayed 2 nights and it was nice to meet some other pilgrims before I started walking, many of whom I then met again along the way.View attachment 166732

I'm staying here for two nights before starting my CP in May. Can't wait! Great to hear how much you enjoyed it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Porto Wine Hostel will work then. They also have some lovely Porto wine tasting opportunities.

BTW - we also enjoyed listening to a Fado concert not far from the Cathedral. The musicians and vocalists were amazing!
🎶💖

I was happy with the World'n'Porto Hostel (cheap) and more happy with the Portuguesa Guest House (very nice stay!).
The Albergue in Porto is fine, too. Very welcoming and professional.

Take a look and choose.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed in both House of Sandeman and Gallery Hostel. Loved both of them. Gallery Hostel was only a couple of minutes walk from Camino so ideal place to stay the night before starting your walk.

My husband and I stayed in two different lodgings in Porto last April and June.

One was the albergue in the Porto train station. It’s called The Passenger Hostel.
We took the train from Lisbon and the hostel entrance is INSIDE the station. The location is perfect (near cathedral, food, attractions, etc). The rooms and bathrooms are all updated. The albergue is also quiet at night for sleeping. They also have laundry facilities (washer/dryers).

The room we were give was big enough for more than four people. There are also bunk rooms, but we were easing into our pilgrim life.

The other was the Porto Wine Hostel. This one is much smaller than the Passenger Hostal.How old is your daughter? I checked their website. However, they are posting no children. I liked the location for this one because of the park and free tours (with donation) near by. There is also an historic ‘student’s cafe’ around the corner. I believe it’s allied the Cafe Piolho D’ouro. It originally opened in 1909. It’s a historic gathering place for students, teachers, and political insurrectionists. Prices are reasonable and food yummy…but I digress. 🫣

My first choice would be the Passenger Hostel because of its location and the variety of evening activities that may be available.

Both can be reserved via Booking.com.
👣🎒💖
The Passenger is a great suggestion!

The station is worth a visit in its own right.

I stayed here for several days last October (2023) and really liked it.

Slight caveat: sometimes there may be a choice between windows open (thus cooler) or closed (thus less street noise).

For the first two nights our window was (at various times) open and as the dorms are on the street side rather than the station side there was a lot of partying type noise till 4am.

in early October it was 32°C during the day and so still warmish at night.

What I can’t say is if there is effective aircon for hotter months so you can be both cooler and quieter.

Nice kitchen area up in the roof though it only opens at 8am which seems slightly late for those on or adjusting to the Camino time zone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SSpot
Spot hostel in Porto fantastic don't miss

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back