• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation on the Camino Frances

BeeHodge

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2018
Hi all... I have read a few posts that some of you who are walking the Camino Frances this year, ( some in July) have already booked accommodation along the way, esp Roncesvalles?

I am starting my work from SJPdP front he 25/4 and have not booked anywhere as I understand that one cannot book the Pilgrim hostels?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly received as I thought I would just go and book as I go along ... or is it not such a good idea?

Bee

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In general you cannot book places in church or municipal albergues in advance. However, there are also many private albergues along the Frances which do accept reservations in advance. Also many private rooms in pensions and hotels which happily accept bookings through sites like booking.com. Personally I strongly dislike booking in advance as I do not like committing myself to a set distance at the start of a day and prefer to be flexible. The downside is of course the possibility of problems finding a bed later in the day. You have to decide which is more important to you - flexibility or assurance? A good compromise might be to book accommodation in advance for St Jean and Roncesvalles and then play it by ear. If you find yourself in a large 'wave' of pilgrims making beds in short supply then you can book a day or two ahead at a time. There should be no need for booking much further ahead than that at any time.

Last edited:
In general you cannot book places in church or municipal albergues in advance. However, there are also many private albergues along the Frances which do accept reservations in advance. Also many private rooms in pensions and hotels which happily accept bookings through sites like booking.com. Personally I strongly dislike booking in advance as I do not like committing myself to a set distance at the start of a day and prefer to be flexible. The downside is of course the possibility of problems finding a bed later in the day. You have to decide which is more important to you - flexibility or assurance? A good compromise might be to book accommodation in advance for St Jean and Roncesvalles and then play it by ear. If you find yourself in a large 'wave' of pilgrims making beds in short supply then you can book a day or two ahead at a time. There should be no need for booking much further ahead than that at any time.

Thank you... like. You I dont like to book in advanced as I like to take it as it comes and I am not sure where I will end up!!

I am starting my walk on the 25/4 from SJPdP, so I am hoping that it isn't a busy season and that I will get accommodation at the villages I stop, does anyone know what time these manucipal abergues close?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bee,
You can check the closing times of albergues in this Eroski.com list for the Camino Frances.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/albergues/
Tap each entry to see the address, owner, opening/closing times, etc.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Wow!!! Thank you!! This is so helpful... I bought a book on the Pilgrim Guides on accommodation but the links are going to be so useful.... are these municipals or privates? I want to try and stay in the public pilgrim hostels...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow!!! Thank you!! This is so helpful... I bought a book on the Pilgrim Guides on accommodation but the links are going to be so useful.... are these municipals or privates? I want to try and stay in the public pilgrim hostels...

The Eroski lists a mix of public/private albergues not regular tourist accommodation.
Once you tap the entry the distinction will be stated. Generally the public albergues are cited first for each location.

The Eroski lists a mix of public/private albergues not regular tourist accommodation.
Once you tap the entry the distinction will be stated. Generally the public albergues are cited first for each location.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is there a way to view in English as the sites are listed in French?
There is no English language version built into the website. However if you use Google Chrome as your web browser you can automatically translate the pages using the small icon at the right-end of the address bar. I find that the simplest way to deal with any foreign-language websites. A more laborious way is to copy the URL and paste it into a translation engine like https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT

The addresses for the locations in France might be listed in French but the Eroski list is Spanish with the possibility of a translation into English via your browser.

I changed by booking preferences as I moved on. If I had decided to do a short days walk - 4-6 hours I wouldn't bother to book as I knew I'd arrive early in the day and was almost guarnteed a bed. Note I normally leave my accomodation around 5:30 - 6:00 AM so I would normally get in as the hostels were opening.

However, if I planned to walk 30+ kms which took me about 8-10 hours with meals, coffees, etc., I would book.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is no English language version built into the website. However if you use Google Chrome as your web browser you can automatically translate the pages using the small icon at the right-end of the address bar. I find that the simplest way to deal with any foreign-language websites. A more laborious way is to copy the URL and paste it into a translation engine like https://translate.google.co.uk/?hl=en&tab=wT
Thank you... will try

I changed by booking preferences as I moved on. If I had decided to do a short days walk - 4-6 hours I wouldn't bother to book as I knew I'd arrive early in the day and was almost guarnteed a bed. Note I normally leave my accomodation around 5:30 - 6:00 AM so I would normally get in as the hostels were opening.

However, if I planned to walk 30+ kms which took me about 8-10 hours with meals, coffees, etc., I would book.

Thank you.. I plan to walk about 15 -18 miles a day so hopefully I can get to the municipal hostels early!!

€60,-

I did the same. If I decided at noon that I wanted to push on another 10 km or so, I would book a place when I stopped for lunch.

i'm doing frances in april.. i think i am just going to wing it.. where are you travelling from? i am east coast of england and havent worked out the best way to get to the start yet so if anyone has any juicy tips feel free to let me know. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
i'm doing frances in april.. i think i am just going to wing it.. where are you travelling from? i am east coast of england and havent worked out the best way to get to the start yet so if anyone has any juicy tips feel free to let me know. :)

Sorry haven't been on the forum for a while.. I m in the South West and starting from
SJPdP on the 25/4... have you booked your flight?

Bee

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bee[/QUOTE]
Sorry haven't been on the forum for a while.. I m in the South West and starting from
SJPdP on the 25/4... have you booked your flight?

Bee

Hiya yeah got flight booked. Hostel booked... Getting kit together, trying to learn how to walk before I set off feel free to message me if you want a chat.. I can fill you in on what I know so far (should take about 2 minutes lol)

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back