• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Additional passport or pages

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September 2023
I've been a bit over eager to obtain stamps and I'm not sure I will have enough, especially after Sarria.
What options are there for getting either a new one or additional pages. Also, where would I obtain them.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can get another credential in most of albergues you will meet, namely municipal albergues, or in Tourism Offices: you will present both at Pilgrim Office in Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So, please let me make sure I have your information correct. I received my passport in St. Jean, have been getting stamps with dates everywhere we stay or eat but will have to have two (2) stamps per day from Sarria on to Santiago? So Ll these previous stamps do not count towards the Compestella (sp?)

You can also "add a page" with regular paper to your current credential. Just be sure to get 2 stamps per day (dated) from Sarria on to Santiago.
S

If you have the "normal" Spanish one, just ask, and should be easy -- I would advise gluing the second to the first and just extend it.

If you have started with the French one, well, just get a supplementary credencial as most people do.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
To be eligible for a compostella, you must have walked the last 100 km and have 2 stamps per day. That is what the pilgrim office will look for when you arrive. What mileage you do in addition is for you.
Thank you.

Hummm so confusing but I really want to frame the Compestella as myhusband and I have walked so many, many miles/km and seems right. Love this Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you are walking from St Jean-Pied-de-Port, there is no reason why you would not get the Compostela.
I guess that the rule of 2 stamps per day, even if not written as this, is almost for people who just walk the last 100km: otherwise, walking 25 km per day, they would only show 4 stamps, thus a quite empty credential...

I just completed the Frances from SJPDD to Santiago. I did not have 2 stamps per day after Sarria and still got my Compestella.
Lucky you. Are you prepared to advise pilgrims to ignore the clear requirement of the Pilgrim Office and perhaps find they are told they will not get a Compostela? I certainly wouldn't.

Your experience is not uncommon. Having had a similar experience back in 2015 I made an adjustment for 2017.
From stuff I bought via Ivor I had two credentials, I cut the front page of one glued/ taped it to my original. I now had a credential with around 74+ stamps spots. I would like to recommend to the credential printers that they provide to variety passports: one for those walking less than 20 days and another for those walking the Via de la Plataor 35 days plus. Or relieve the two stamps requirement for those whose passports indicate or confirm that they have walked more than 500km plus the last 100km.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hummm so confusing but I really want to frame the Compestella as myhusband and I have walked so many, many miles/km and seems right. Love this Camino!
Are you thinking of framing your stamped credential or the final compostella certificate you receive at the end of your journey in Santiago? You can also request a Certificate of Distance for a few euros.

Last edited:
Or relieve the two stamps requirement for those whose passports indicate or confirm that they have walked more than 500km plus the last 100km.
Or just ease off on the stamp collecting? I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in January and only used one side of the credencial issued by the office in SJPDP. Just looked at the credencial and there are still forty empty spaces left on it.

If you are walking from St Jean-Pied-de-Port, there is no reason why you would not get the Compostela.
I guess that the rule of 2 stamps per day, even if not written as this, is almost for people who just walk the last 100km: otherwise, walking 25 km per day, they would only show 4 stamps, thus a quite empty credential...
The rule of two stamps per day in the final 100 km is for everyone, regardless of where they start. The volunteers in the Pilgrim Office can, and often do use their discretion to give a Compostela to pilgrims that don't have the two stamps per day, but they don't have to. It's best to make it easy on everyone and follow the rules.

This is what the Pilgrim Office says:

You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lucky you. Are you prepared to advise pilgrims to ignore the clear requirement of the Pilgrim Office and perhaps find they are told they will not get a Compostela? I certainly wouldn't.
Pilgrims can do as they wish, all I stated was that I only had got 1 stamp per day from Sarria but had 2 credentials full from SJPDP. I even asked the person whom I got the Compestella from about the 2?stamps per day and he told me that as I had hiked from SJPDP the requirement for 2 per day was not a requirement. Oh! Everyone in our group did the same as me and all got the Compestella. So maybe the clear requirement is for those who only hike from Sarria.

I just completed the Frances from SJPDD to Santiago. I did not have 2 stamps per day after Sarria and still got my Compestella.
Yes. That is the case for many people, but not all. The volunteers in the pilgrim office do not strictly and consistently enforce the rules on every pilgrim.

The challenge created in offering your experience as a guide for other pilgrims is that they then fail to collect the two stamps a day in the last 100 km, counting on having a similar experience to you, and then find themselves in front of a different volunteer who strictly enforces the rules and will not give them a Compostela.

To prevent that happening our general advice is that if a Compostela is important to a pilgrim they should collect two stamps a day for the last 100 km of their Camino, no matter how many stories like yours they read.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pilgrims can do as they wish, all I stated was that I only had got 1 stamp per day from Sarria but had 2 credentials full from SJPDP. I even asked the person whom I got the Compestella from about the 2?stamps per day and he told me that as I had hiked from SJPDP the requirement for 2 per day was not a requirement. Oh! Everyone in our group did the same as me and all got the Compestella. So maybe the clear requirement is for those who only hike from Sarria.
That would be the case if every pilgrim was treated as you were. But we've seen other pilgrims on this forum report being refused Compostelas for not having two stamps a day after Sarria, despite having walked from SJPP. They are, it is true, a small minority. The vast majority of pilgrim office volunteers don't hold to the "two stamps a day after Sarria" requirement as posted on the website when faced with a long haul walker. As you and your group experienced.

But others have experienced different. And the pilgrim who arrives next month doesn't know who will be waiting. In that situation, if the Compostela is important, it only makes sense to be prepared for all possibilities.

I know I wouldn't want it in my conscience to advise pilgrims that it isn't necessary, only to have a pilgrim who walked a month not get their Compostela because they trusted my advice and faced a stickler volunteer at tge counter.

Or just ease off on the stamp collecting? I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in January and only used one side of the credencial issued by the office in SJPDP. Just looked at the credencial and there are still forty empty spaces left on it.
OK. So please enlighten me - how many days to walk this distance? How did you satisfy the " two stamps per day" from Sarria as we are so often informed?? Cheers

I've been a bit over eager to obtain stamps and I'm not sure I will have enough, especially after Sarria.
What options are there for getting either a new one or additional pages. Also, where would I obtain them.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Buen Camino
You can just add a piece of paper for your stamps. That's what I had to do.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK. So please enlighten me - how many days to walk this distance? How did you satisfy the " two stamps per day" from Sarria as we are so often informed?? Cheers
31 days from SJPDP to Santiago (2 January to 2 February). I ended up with 32 sellos on the credencial including the closing stamps from the Santiago pilgrim office. I didn't try to meet the "two stamps per day after Sarria" rule because I had no intention of asking for a Compostela on arrival. But if I did find my two-per-day for that final section I would still have had 36 free spaces on the credencial. I completely understand that some people enjoy finding sellos as mementos of their journey and of course they are welcome to do so but I've never felt that need myself. I'm not a collector by nature.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.