• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice and info needed

Hopefull

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello everyone I'm a new member who is thinking about doing the Camino ,I suffer from copd (lung decease) Asthma and would like to know if anyone else who suffer from these have ever walked the Camino ?. I'm stage 3 copd at the moment .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While advice from others will be useful, only you know your limits. I suggest that you test yourself at home for carrying a pack, climbing hills, and modest elevation. That will tell you whether the financial, physical, and emotional investments will pay dividends. I always suggest that the Camino is the wrong place for surprises or new discoveries, except for scenery, food, and people!!

Your right in many ways but I do know my limits as I'm a old hat at distance walks but not quite so long so that's why I'm asking if any one else with copd have done it but thanks for your help

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My 2 centavos. I think in terms of distance, you walk as far as you are comfortable doing. Keep in mind elevation changes, weather and plan accordingly, eventually walking at your own pace. Also check with your doctor before making an informed decision. I look young but my bones are much older due to injuries and my first camino is in just a week and while reading here some posters speak of doing the stages and up to 30km per day. Equally there are as many posters who say run your own race stop when you feel you need to stop. I choose the latter to do it at my own pace stop when needed you are under no obligation to do 30kms daily. Your body will tell you when you need to stop. Good luck and hopefully a Buen Camino!

You should speak with your doctor and outline for them what you are planning to do, and provide them with information on elevation and kilometrage/day, and the current stage of your training. They are usually sympathetic to their patients' efforts and may well be able to provide you with useful tips. As well, try to obtain from them a diagnostic note, which you should be able to get translated by a medical translator-- should you end up needing medical attention when in Spain, this may save you valuable time. As well, they should be able to point you to reliable websites on your condition, which can be very helpful.

I suffer from asthma, its more of an issue in normal life than my camino life. Walking regularly helps me expel mucus plugs (sorry that sounds gross) which build up on a daily basis, and can make breathing very hard. Im not sure if its the exertion, or the vibration but whatever it is, it works. My doctor doesn't know either. If I miss a day's walking it will take ages the following day to clear my lungs enough to breathe properly. I regular use a preventer and ventolin, and provided I keep aerobically fit, I usually don't need anything else. I live up a really steep hill which gives my lungs a workout each day. I also have a number of allergies, air, food and skin, so I live on antihistamines as well. As well as walking every day, I often do long walking events and/or train for the next Camino. The worst part of it for me, is clearing my lungs after the inactivity of a two day flight to get to Spain.
On the Camino walking so much each day keeps me so healthy I dont ever need the ventolin.
However everyone is different. Talk to your doctor, he/she can prescribe 'just in case' drugs for your Camino. Mine did, I haven't needed to use them, but it is peace of mind.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suffer from asthma, its more of an issue in normal life than my camino life. Walking regularly helps me expel mucus plugs (sorry that sounds gross) which build up on a daily basis, and can make breathing very hard. Im not sure if its the exertion, or the vibration but whatever it is, it works. My doctor doesn't know either. If I miss a day's walking it will take ages the following day to clear my lungs enough to breathe properly. I regular use a preventer and ventolin, and provided I keep aerobically fit, I usually don't need anything else. I live up a really steep hill which gives my lungs a workout each day. I also have a number of allergies, air, food and skin, so I live on antihistamines as well. As well as walking every day, I often do long walking events and/or train for the next Camino. The worst part of it for me, is clearing my lungs after the inactivity of a two day flight to get to Spain.
On the Camino walking so much each day keeps me so healthy I dont ever need the ventolin.
However everyone is different. Talk to your doctor, he/she can prescribe 'just in case' drugs for your Camino. Mine did, I haven't needed to use them, but it is peace of mind.
Thank you for your reply it has given me hope for the future to do the Camino . I understand where your coming from as when I visit my friend in Orgiva Spain in the mountains by breathing improves and I also find I don't need my inhalors as much .

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.