• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Pamplona and need advice

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi, I am traveling to Pamplona on the 15th of October from Mallorca. And plan on starting the walk on the 16th. I am wondering if someone, or many, can help me with the following:

1. can I get the official camino passport in Pamplona? If yes, can you tell me specifically where? I have never been there.
2. Is there a map guide that I can also get in Pamplona that will ensure I am going in the right direction? It would be a pity for me to walk half way to Barcelona.. Haha
3. I am presuming that this time of year, it will not be difficult to get a bed in an albergue without a reservation, does this sound right? I actually think I read somewhere that the government ones cannot be reserved as it is anyway. I could be wrong.
4. At nights, while in the places I am staying, will I generally have access to electric to recharge my phone and camera battery?
5. Water. Do you generally get water from your starting point and ration it out for the entire day? Or, are there places along the way to get water?
6. If I am going along, and feel like I have the energy to do another 5k or more on a particular day, should I assume I first need to know where the next village is to ensure that 5 is not a 15? I presume yes, but, just trying to understand as much as possible.
7. And.. the big one.. I am a vegan. I am a bit nervous about food options. So, when hiking between sleep spots, should I assume there are many parts where I am in nature? Also, other times where I might pass a place where I can get some fruit, etc.? At night, I am hoping that most places will cook me a bowl of spaghetti or something so I can stay full. And be ready to go in the mornings.

I really apprecaite your help in advance.
My plan is to start out slow. I am not in good shape but I believe I can do this. Worst case scenario, I cannot make the complete journey and I head back home to Mallorca. Worse things have happened. But, this is my determination.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can purchase a credential at several albergues, including Albergue Jesús y María, Albergue Plaza Catedral, and Casa Ibarrola.
There is an excellent pilgrim store called Caminoteca that should have guide books.
I prefer to use apps with GPS for information and directions. My favorite is Buen Camino
Other options are Wise Pilgrim and Camino Ninja.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can purchase a credential at several albergues, including Albergue Jesús y María, Albergue Plaza Catedral, and Casa Ibarrola.
There is an excellent pilgrim store called Caminoteca that should have guide books.
I prefer to use apps with GPS for information and directions. My favorite is Buen Camino
Other options are Wise Pilgrim and Camino Ninja.
Hi, thanks for your reply

The store.. it is in Pamplona I think yes?

I am downloading your suggested app now, Buen Camino. I am nervous to use my phone and it run out of energy during the day. I do not have this problem now, but, I also do not have my phone functioning all day as a GPS. I suppose I can use it to ensure I am on the right path and then stop it until the next time I am at a question

Hi, I am traveling to Pamplona on the 15th of October from Mallorca. And plan on starting the walk on the 16th. I am wondering if someone, or many, can help me with the following:

1. can I get the official camino passport in Pamplona? If yes, can you tell me specifically where? I have never been there.
2. Is there a map guide that I can also get in Pamplona that will ensure I am going in the right direction? It would be a pity for me to walk half way to Barcelona.. Haha
3. I am presuming that this time of year, it will not be difficult to get a bed in an albergue without a reservation, does this sound right? I actually think I read somewhere that the government ones cannot be reserved as it is anyway. I could be wrong.
4. At nights, while in the places I am staying, will I generally have access to electric to recharge my phone and camera battery?
5. Water. Do you generally get water from your starting point and ration it out for the entire day? Or, are there places along the way to get water?
6. If I am going along, and feel like I have the energy to do another 5k or more on a particular day, should I assume I first need to know where the next village is to ensure that 5 is not a 15? I presume yes, but, just trying to understand as much as possible.
7. And.. the big one.. I am a vegan. I am a bit nervous about food options. So, when hiking between sleep spots, should I assume there are many parts where I am in nature? Also, other times where I might pass a place where I can get some fruit, etc.? At night, I am hoping that most places will cook me a bowl of spaghetti or something so I can stay full. And be ready to go in the mornings.

My plan is to start out slow. I am not in good shape but I believe I can do this. Worst case scenario, I cannot make the complete journey and I head back home to Mallorca. Worse things have happened. But, this is my determination.
Yes most places have outlets and I would suggest bringing a small phone charger just in case you are not near an outlet. Bring a multi plug so you can share when charging your phone.

As for food. I ate Bocadillo con queso, orange juice, tortilla espagnola, cafe, There are little stores along the way, etc. But I always carried some food with me just in case.

Look for water outlets that say "Potable" I only used a 1 liter bottle and was fine to refill it frequently.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Almost always but let me add a warning; in two albergues I stayed in during my last camino when the overhead lights were turned off the wall outlets in the room were automatically turned off also. Check for this. If you charge overnight then it should be the battery, not the phone.

Yes most places have outlets and I would suggest bringing a small phone charger just in case you are not near an outlet. Bring a multi plug so you can share when charging your phone.

As for food. I ate Bocadillo con queso, orange juice, tortilla espagnola, cafe, There are little stores along the way, etc. But I always carried some food with me just in case.

Look for water outlets that say "Potable" I only used a 1 liter bottle and was fine to refill it frequently.
This is a good idea about a multi charger, i will do just that.. thank you for the info, and about the water too. As I mentioned in the original post, I am not in good shape so I may end up drinking more water, but I think instead of buying a bladder, I can just buy a 1.5 liter bottle and not worry too much

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Almost always but let me add a warning; in two albergues I stayed in during my last camino when the overhead lights were turned off the wall outlets in the room were automatically turned off also. Check for this. If you charge overnight then it should be the battery, not the phone.
This is a good tip and one I did not think about

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a good idea about a multi charger, i will do just that.. thank you for the info, and about the water too. As I mentioned in the original post, I am not in good shape so I may end up drinking more water, but I think instead of buying a bladder, I can just buy a 1.5 liter bottle and not worry too much
There is a saying, first go slower so you can go farther. Your first days take it slow with low mileage then start increasing if you feel good. When I did it after 3 days my body had adjusted to the long hours of walking. I walked approx 7am to 5pm each day.

The situation regarding beds and reservations is very uncertain (and changeable) these days, due to the pandemic as well as the changing seasons, so you will need to judge the situation when you are there. Hospitaleros and other pilgrims will help.

Yes you should check where the next village is, and if it is a small one with few options, you should confirm whether there is accommodation available for you that day. Either call or message them yourself, or ask someone else to help. Even when there is no pandemic, a family albergue in a small town may take a day off each week, or close because of illness or other reason. So don't arrive in a small village and expect there to be a bed for you, unless your are prepared to walk on to the NEXT village. In larger towns you are more likely to find something, even if you need to pay more than you planned.

Regarding water, you should determine the distances between villages. That information, your own body, and a look at the weather, will inform you how much water to take. Water supply is not likely to be a problem on the Camino Frances in October and November and I expect that 1.5L would be more than enough.

Basically I would say that you should gather practical information each day to ensure you can be safe and reasonably comfortable. In your case, that should include making sure that you carry enough appropriate calories to sustain you in case you cannot conveniently find a store or restaurant that day. I always have a bag of nuts, a chocolate bar, and bottle of juice in the bottom of my backpack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a saying, first go slower so you can go farther. Your first days take it slow with low mileage then start increasing if you feel good. When I did it after 3 days my body had adjusted to the long hours of walking. I walked approx 7am to 5pm each day.
Thank you, I think this saying is perfect advice. When you were walking the ten hours, how far were you going on average each day?

The situation regarding beds and reservations is very uncertain (and changeable) these days, due to the pandemic as well as the changing seasons, so you will need to judge the situation when you are there. Hospitaleros and other pilgrims will help.

Yes you should check where the next village is, and if it is a small one with few options, you should confirm whether there is accommodation available for you that day. Either call or message them yourself, or ask someone else to help. Even when there is no pandemic, a family albergue in a small town may take a day off each week, or close because of illness or other reason. So don't arrive in a small village and expect there to be a bed for you, unless your are prepared to walk on to the NEXT village. In larger towns you are more likely to find something, even if you need to pay more than you planned.

Regarding water, you should determine the distances between villages. That information, your own body, and a look at the weather, will inform you how much water to take. Water supply is not likely to be a problem on the Camino Frances in October and November and I expect that 1.5L would be more than enough.

Basically I would say that you should gather practical information each day to ensure you can be safe and reasonably comfortable. In your case, that should include making sure that you carry enough appropriate calories to sustain you in case you cannot conveniently find a store or restaurant that day. I always have a bag of nuts, a chocolate bar, and bottle of juice in the bottom of my backpack.
Thank you for all of this great advice I really appreciate it.

I’m hoping after the first few days things seem to go a bit smooth. To be honest, I’m very nervous for going alone. I’m sure I’ll meet others along the way but I won’t be at any elders pace except my own. Even so, hopefully I’ll be able to get advice as you mention for town to town expecially for a bed to sleep in.

About the food, I was thinking roughly the same. Bag of dates, some nuts and seeds, and maybe a baguette if I’m able to grab one in the morning.

Thank you again for this great advice a little while ago i was thinking, I wish I had a hotline number for each day .. ha!

Thank you for all of this great advice I really appreciate it.

I’m hoping after the first few days things seem to go a bit smooth. To be honest, I’m very nervous for going alone. I’m sure I’ll meet others along the way but I won’t be at any elders pace except my own. Even so, hopefully I’ll be able to get advice as you mention for town to town expecially for a bed to sleep in.

About the food, I was thinking roughly the same. Bag of dates, some nuts and seeds, and maybe a baguette if I’m able to grab one in the morning.

Thank you again for this great advice a little while ago i was thinking, I wish I had a hotline number for each day .. ha!
THE CAMINO WILL PROVIDE! I was thankful for the shade when it was sunny, I was grateful for the sun when it was raining, and the food fellow pillgrims gave me when I was hungry.......

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’m hoping after the first few days things seem to go a bit smooth. To be honest, I’m very nervous for going alone. I’m sure I’ll meet others along the way but I won’t be at any elders pace except my own.
Rest assured; you will meet many firsttimers more nervous than you. Comfort them: All will be well.

You will find new friends. Within 7 days, you will all understand the workings of the Camino, and you will have an unproblematic (whatever the Camino may throw at you as a test), joyous journey, knowing all the workarounds and solving any problems easily. Just go.

Buen Camino!

You’re not alone, you just can’t see them.

Starting out from Pamplona is great. Any of the good Apps mentioned above will help with accommodation. When you’re in Pamplona, buy a cheap ‘power bank’ battery for your phone. That should give you an extra full charge for about €15

The Forum is your hotline. We are here for you. :) .

Starting in Pamplona is great: I have done many Caminos: Only once have I started in SJpdP (just for the experience); All the other ones in Pamplona: Perfect (for me atleast). A relief to reach Alto del Perdon and look out over the vast expanses where I would be walking with ease for the next days to come.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Also…

If you’re in Facebook (I’m not) I believe there is a group called ‘Vegetarians and vegans on the Camino’ (possibly vegans and vegetarians …). You might find that useful as whilst Spain is much more veggie-friendly than it was a few years ago, it still has scope to change.

When you see the excellent produce markets in Spain you might wonder what happens to all the vegetables, because they certainly don’t make their way into most menú del días

The Forum is your hotline. We are here for you. :) .

Starting in Pamplona is great: I have done many Caminos: Only once have I started in SJpdP (just for the experience); All the other ones in Pamplona: Perfect (for me atleast). A relief to reach Alto del Perdon and look out over the vast expanses where I would be walking with ease for the next days to come.
I'm initially thinking of doing the Primitivo next April. I only have 15 days to walk. But starting in Pamploma sounds interesting. How far do you think I could get or where is a good stopping point so I can get back to Madrid easily after 15 days? Your experience? thanks in advance

I'm initially thinking of doing the Primitivo next April. I only have 15 days to walk. But starting in Pamploma sounds interesting. How far do you think I could get or where is a good stopping point so I can get back to Madrid easily after 15 days? Your experience? thanks in advance
I think Burgos would be a good target.

Once you find your way out of Pamplona you wont need an App or GPS, Guide book or map. The yellow arrows will mark the way and on the very very rare occasions when you are not sure which way to go a local or another pilgrim will be happy to show you the way and to talk to you. You will make friends this way.

If you are unsure about where to stay then the most to date website is https://www.gronze.com/ It is in Spanish but Google's Chrome browser will translate for you.

Carry water with you, you will need it.
Buen Camino

Don't forget that a lot of albergue will close for the winter around the 1st of November.
Starting this date you will be safer by planning 1-2 days in advance...
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

1. Dealt with by earlier replies.
2. If you have a smartphone then download the Camino App. If not then visit the Turismo Office in Calle Saturnino, happily on the Camino itself, for useful maps. When I started in Pamplona there was a great map/info sheet of the Camino through Navarra.
3. Up until 2020 you could get away with that but everything that has been on this blog this year suggests that you must book ahead.
4. Virtually always.
5. There are plenty of fuentes on the way and you can buy bottled water in every village.
6. There are villages pretty much every 5 kilometres or so but I refer you to answer 3.
7. Liable to be the big problem. A lot of albergues have kitchens open to peregrinos so you can fix your own food but otherwise you will be dependent on village shops.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Carrying e - supplies is always a good idea. Mine were always in my pack and replenished if used, A Bag of Babybel cheeses, a large chocolate bar and an orange.
I particularly enjoyed the orange after the descent from Alto del Pardon - also great if you run out of water.

1. Caminoteca probably has them, if not they can tell you where to get it.
2. We use the Buen camino app, their GPS map of the Camino is accurate and very useful.
3. We are walking the Camino now, just past Sahagún and it’s crowded. People are booking 2 to 3 days ahead, even then the best properties may not be available.
4. Always
5. There are fuentes (water fountains) in most villages. Some of them have signs that it’s not treated water but I see people refilling their bottles. I asked them and their reply was here in Spain we drink it and nothing ever happens. We fill our bottle in the morning and get to our destination (20 km or less) without having to refill (started in Roncesvalles). If you have the menú del dia at most restaurants it comes with a full bottle of water or wine, refill in the bathroom is OK.
6. Get a guidebook like Brierly
7. You are in trouble. Even vegetarian options are found wanting in Spain. Major villages (population 200 or more will have tiendas) cities will have supermarkets where you can supplement your diet. Be aware that some villages have no restaurants or shops so shop before you get there. Pack wisely and light (difficult now with the cold and rains coming), there is always Jacotrans pack transport service if you don’t feel up to carrying your pack so bring a daypack to have that option. Starting slow is a good idea, 15 km or less per day. There is some challenging terrain until you get to Burgos. Bring walking poles and break in your hiking shoes/boots well prior. Have a change of socks available midday. Be aware of hot spots and put vaseline or moleskin on before they blister.
ADAPT!

I wouldn't say that he's in trouble regarding vegetarian food. I have met a number of vegetarian and vegan pilgrims who ate quite well on the Camino.
Tortilla de patatas is a vegetarian dish. 😉

Hi, I am traveling to Pamplona on the 15th of October from Mallorca. And plan on starting the walk on the 16th.
Me too :)

I am wondering if someone, or many, can help me with the following:

Why don't you simply order it from the Forum shop? You'll receive it within a few days, well before you go:

Why don't you simply order a guide from the shop here, and/or install an app? I use Wise Pilgrim, and am very happy with it.
I will reserve the first few nights, and see how the traffic is.
Bring a battery bank which you recharge in the afternoons, and use it while walking to charge your phone.

Always carry some water. I carry 0.5 to 1 litre, in 0.5 litres bottles. It is late autumn, and plenty of places to fill up, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Always know where you are and how far it is to the next place.
What has been said on this Forum several times, is that in these CovID times, kitchen & communal dinners are off limits.

Edit: Very important: Beginning Nov. 1st, many albergues are closing for the season. You'll need to know which ones, in each stopping place, are open all year from then on. My Wise Pilgrim guide & app states which are open all year, but I will nevertheless call them beforehand to confirm they are open, in these CovID times, and plan my days accordingly. There are also other resources, like www.gronze.com (Spanish only).

I will also pay close attention to weather forecasts, and possibly skip some mountain sections if needed, like Cruz de Ferro, O'Cebreiro, to mention a couple. Even if I am a former soldier and instructor trained in Arctic Norwegian winter warfare.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your 'phone is constantly connected to GPS. How else do you think "they" know where you are? ;) Just put your 'phone into Airplane mode. The GPS tracking still functions but your battery will not drain as your 'phone will not be constantly pinging wi-fi beacons.
Largely correct, but the phone will still be checking its location with the GPS satellites every few seconds and that too will be a drain on the battery... Turning LOCATION SERVICES off will reduce battery drain due to GPS functions.

And should you be worried about getting lost without the GPS - DON'T... The way is so well marked with yellow arrows, other perigrinos and even helpful locals, you would have to work extremely hard at getting off the Camino... Should you need direction, turn LOCATION SERVICES back on and use a phone app until you are back on the Camino, then turn it off again to conserve battery...

Buen camino

Last edited:
Your 'phone is constantly connected to GPS. How else do you think "they" know where you are? ;) Just put your 'phone into Airplane mode. The GPS tracking still functions but your battery will not drain as your 'phone will not be constantly pinging wi-fi beacons.
Almost, @Tincatinker. On both iOS and Android it is possible to turn off the location services (GPS, wifi and Bluetooth), and what apps are allowed to use location services where they are turned on. Go into settings on either, and search for location and a range of options are presented, ranging from using GPS alone, GPS+wifi and GPS+wifi+Bluetooth. That isn't how they are described - they are hidden in the phraseology of 'improved location accuracy'.

It is also possible to have both wifi and Bluetooth on while in flight mode. If you turn these on in Aeroplane mode on a iOS device, it appears to remember that setting, and leaves them on the next time you set Aeroplane Mode on. Android doesn't appear to retain that setting, so it has to be set each time.

Finally, at least on an Android, it is possible to set increased accuracy using wifi locations without turning wifi on. I presume, but haven't checked, that the phone only needs to receive identification and location information from the wifi (or bluetooth) device, and not respond back to it. Someone with greater technical knowledge than I have might set us straight on this.

Largely correct, but the phone will still be checking its location with the GPS satellites every few seconds and that too will be a drain on the battery... Turning LOCATION SERVICES off will reduce battery drain due to GPS functions.
That is true, but the situation has been getting better over the years, both in reducing the power use with location services active, and with newer versions of operating systems offering greater control over which apps can use location services and when.

Of course, that doesn't help if you leave your favourite mapping app running in the background with tracking turned on to record a track point every few seconds. That will very quickly drain any battery!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

To find your way out of Pamplona just follow the pretty college girls with the backpacks. Thats what I did until we left town and the yellow arrows appeared.

To find your way out of Pamplona just follow the pretty college girls with the backpacks. Thats what I did until we left town and the yellow arrows appeared.
Yes.... I can just image the conversation with members of the Guardia Civil ... "Honest, I was lost...."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that works better in the summer when the students are on the Camino.😄
I think that he is referring to the university that is on the outskirts of Pamplona, on the Camino. University of Navarra. So this would work best when it wasn't Summer.

The joys of posting in American rather than in English.

Last edited:
Yes.... I can just image the conversation with members of the Guardia Civil ... "Honest, I was lost...."
Which reminds me of a situation once in Kista, Sweden. I went out from KTH University to get some supplies to build a light weight case for a small electronic device.

I wanted some of that very light weight sort of plasticie board but I neglected to find out the Swedish name for it. Here I would go into a stationery store and it would be on the shelf.

I went into a stationery store in the Kista mall but I couldn't find it anywhere. Then I spotted a young girl aged about 12 and she had some under her arm. I walked up to her and tried to look at the label to see what it was called and of course she saw me doing that and wondered what I was doing. I tried to explain but I only spoke English and she didn't understand English. I could see that she was starting to freak out and so I backed off.

She went up to the counter and I thought that she was going to pay and so I wandered over, but not too close so that I could ask the shop assistant what the name of the board was but the girl was reporting me as stalking her to the shop assistant and so I had a very embarrassing time trying to explain what I was doing.

It all got sorted in the end ☺️ but I had to go to an Arts Supplies store to get the board.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Guardia Civil guys are really on top of their game. I met one who was walking undercover. His dress and pack was not just right but since we were both old guys I struck up a conversation. I'm a veteran and at that time had a son in the Army. So we had stories to share.The Guardia is police force/military hybrid. He called in his partners and we had a great lunch together. He's the one on the right.

Attachments

• 20180919_102220.jpg
    20180919_102220.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Welcome, @davidgunzenhauser!

And.. the big one.. I am a vegan. I am a bit nervous about food options. So, when hiking between sleep spots, should I assume there are many parts where I am in nature? Also, other times where I might pass a place where I can get some fruit, etc.? At night, I am hoping that most places will cook me a bowl of spaghetti or something so I can stay full. And be ready to go in the mornings.
I'm.a vegetarian, and can say from experience that the food situation is improving year by year. Don't worry too much about this, but do be prepared. The first thing to do is to download the Happy Cow app. Then search here on the forum for threads about vegan/vegetarian food. There's a lot of info to be had.

In general, if you're in a town with a sizeable tienda, take advantage of that to stock up on vegan trail snacks like nuts and dried fruit as well as fresh fruit. In restairants, I've been successful in ordering off-menu, basically giving the waithelp info on what I can eat, and then leaving it up to the kitchen to make something. It's a bit more expensive than the el cheapo pilgrim menu fare, but far far better. Being clear but not demanding or entitled goes a long way.

Rest assured; you will meet many firsttimers more nervous than you. Comfort them: All will be well.

You will find new friends. Within 7 days, you will all understand the workings of the Camino, and you will have an unproblematic (whatever the Camino may throw at you as a test), joyous journey, knowing all the workarounds and solving any problems easily. Just go.

Buen Camino!
Thank you so much for this inspiration !!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is awesome.. maybe you will catch up to me :)

Why don't you simply order it from the Forum shop? You'll receive it within a few days, well before you go:

I was nervous it would not get to my home by the 14th. But, I will take your advice and order one as soon as I am done catching up with this thread!!

Why don't you simply order a guide from the shop here, and/or install an app? I use Wise Pilgrim, and am very happy with it.
I have installed the app that was recommended by a few and it seems to cover the route as well as the hostels, which is great!!

I am also hoping I can camp some nights too. I thought I read it was illegal to camp but, I am hoping I just read something from someone who was uninformed.

I will reserve the first few nights, and see how the traffic is.

Bring a battery bank which you recharge in the afternoons, and use it while walking to charge your phone.

I bought a battery bank yesterday :)

Always carry some water. I carry 0.5 to 1 litre, in 0.5 litres bottles. It is late autumn, and plenty of places to fill up, so it shouldn't be a problem.
thank you!
Always know where you are and how far it is to the next place.

What has been said on this Forum several times, is that in these CovID times, kitchen & communal dinners are off limits.

That is really good advice and good to know. I would love to have some dried foods I could heat up. But, it would also mean I need a small propane tank and heater (which I do not have - I did not want to buy this in Mallorca and not be able to get on the plane).

Edit: Very important: Beginning Nov. 1st, many albergues are closing for the season. You'll need to know which ones, in each stopping place, are open all year from then on. My Wise Pilgrim guide & app states which are open all year, but I will nevertheless call them beforehand to confirm they are open, in these CovID times, and plan my days accordingly. There are also other resources, like www.gronze.com (Spanish only).

I will also pay close attention to weather forecasts, and possibly skip some mountain sections if needed, like Cruz de Ferro, O'Cebreiro, to mention a couple. Even if I am a former soldier and instructor trained in Arctic Norwegian winter warfare.

Thanks for this update, I really appreciate you taking the time to help in such detail

And should you be worried about getting lost without the GPS - DON'T... The way is so well marked with yellow arrows, other perigrinos and even helpful locals, you would have to work extremely hard at getting off the Camino... Should you need direction, turn LOCATION SERVICES back on and use a phone app until you are back on the Camino, then turn it off again to conserve battery...

Buen camino
I always keep location services off.. I will just have to figure something out :)

Lots of great advice here.
Here's another bit.

Breath............

Let the Camino embrace you, guide you and care for you...........
Thank you for these words.. I am working to calm myself mentally as much as possible and be happy for everything that comes

Welcome, @davidgunzenhauser!

I'm.a vegetarian, and can say from experience that the food situation is improving year by year. Don't worry too much about this, but do be prepared. The first thing to do is to download the Happy Cow app. Then search here on the forum for threads about vegan/vegetarian food. There's a lot of info to be had.

In general, if you're in a town with a sizeable tienda, take advantage of that to stock up on vegan trail snacks like nuts and dried fruit as well as fresh fruit. In restairants, I've been successful in ordering off-menu, basically giving the waithelp info on what I can eat, and then leaving it up to the kitchen to make something. It's a bit more expensive than the el cheapo pilgrim menu fare, but far far better. Being clear but not demanding or entitled goes a long way.
Sometimes I think one day I am going to turn into an almond.. haha.. but you are right and this is a plan I have. Maybe in Pamplona I can get some nuts and dates, etc. from Mercadona or a small market and store them up.

A few years ago (before covid) my friends did part of the camino and they actually brought grains to saome restaurants and had the chefs cook up their food (they are also vegan). I do not have that much of an intention of course, but, I did think it was a creative way to stock up.

One idea I also had was, if I can get an extra bowl of pasta or rice, then I can put it in a container and have lunch the next day in the event I am in the middle of nowhere and hungry.

Hi, thanks for your reply

The store.. it is in Pamplona I think yes?

I am downloading your suggested app now, Buen Camino. I am nervous to use my phone and it run out of energy during the day. I do not have this problem now, but, I also do not have my phone functioning all day as a GPS. I suppose I can use it to ensure I am on the right path and then stop it until the next time I am at a question
Re. This specific query. Buy a Power bank. These are readily available and act as a power source when en route. They come in various sizes power wise.
In a similar vein, when I did the CF in 2019 I cannot recall one place where I couldn't charge up either my phone or power bank.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Guardia Civil guys are really on top of their game. I met one who was walking undercover. His dress and pack was not just right but since we were both old guys I struck up a conversation. I'm a veteran and at that time had a son in the Army. So we had stories to share.The Guardia is police force/military hybrid. He called in his partners and we had a great lunch together. He's the one on the right.
Well - his cover is blown now!

For knowing the way and how far to the next town: use an app as above, or if you like analog, print some stage maps before you go. I’m not an app fan, I bought a guide book (not sure you can get one before you leave but might find one once in Pamplona). I also copied info from Gronze.com. I like this site bc it has contact info/open& close info on albergues, lists the cities you pass through and has altitude profiles for each stage, and The Parrot tells you about cultural things or good restaurants

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back