• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for a newbie

sebastienbrideau

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2021)
Hi all,

my name is Sébastien. I am from Canada, and I would like to walk my first Camino either this year, or next.

I will be walking solo, but I don't want to be alone. I would like to meet others along the way: that is one of the draws of the Camino for me. That being said, I am a bit of an intravert, so being surrounded by tons of people who I don't know can be exhausting.

I know that the Frances is quite popular, and I am sure to find people there although I am worried that it might be a little much (190,000 pilgrims last year).

How is the Portugues? From what I am reading, it seems busier from Porto on. How about from Lisbon? Could I expect to meet people starting from Lisbon, or would I be walking by myself the whole time to Porto? How about after Porto?

The statistics from the pilgrim office in Santiago state that only 0.76% of all pilgrims started in Lisbon last year (that's less than 3000 pilgrims) so that has me concerned.

I would likely be walking May or September this year or next.

Thanks for any comments or advice :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi and welcome!

Please don't be put off by the numbers that you have read for the numbers walking the Frances. I walked in the busiest time, May, and was not overwhelmed.

While walking, there were plenty of times when I walked alone in my immediate area and could contemplate my own thoughts. At these times there were often other pilgrims in the distance or along the way that I could talk to if I wished.

At night there was always opportunities to talk to other pilgrims. In most places where we stay there are smaller alberques where the numbers of other pilgrims is less and perhaps less overwhelming. About the only place where there is no smaller, less expensive lodging is Roncesvalles.

However, even though I primarily sort my own company on my last Camino, my best memories are of staying in larger alberques where there was either a communal meal (Sahagun) or the atmosphere encouraged mixing and sharing with other pilgrims.

Doug

Hi and welcome!

Please don't be put off by the numbers that you have read for the numbers walking the Frances. I walked in the busiest time, May, and was not overwhelmed.

While walking, there were plenty of times when I walked alone in my immediate area and could contemplate my own thoughts. At these times there were often other pilgrims in the distance or along the way that I could talk to if I wished.

At night there was always opportunities to talk to other pilgrims. In most places where we stay there are smaller alberques where the numbers of other pilgrims is less and perhaps less overwhelming. About the only place where there is no smaller, less expensive lodging is Roncesvalles.

However, even though I primarily sort my own company on my last Camino, my best memories are of staying in larger alberques where there was either a communal meal (Sahagun) or the atmosphere encouraged mixing and sharing with other pilgrims.

Doug
Thanks a lot for your input. Very helpful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Despite which route your on and inspite of time of year its your camino, create what you need. Even if your surrounded by other pilgrims ignore them, walk in silence, walk at a slower pace or at speed. Wear strange clothing or avoid washing. Either way, create your own way and Its sometimes better to have the choice when your ready to talk than choose a way where you meet no-one (but unlikely in CF & CP unless you walk out of season and even then you'll meet other pilgrims trying to avoid each other). For me its a people path of positive intention and as its your first I'd recommend the Francè in late September 🤠

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree that you shouldn't worry about crowds. You can choreograph it so that you get peaceful walking time. I walked Portugues from Porto in May and saw few others. I got to know some people along the way who I ran into several times along the way. I tend to enjoy my own company most of the time, but it was fun to see familiar faces. Myself, I much prefer spring when things are growing and green. And along the Frances, it's the time you see the storks nesting on the churchtops, which is a highlight for me.

How is the Portugues?

I would walk the Frances first then return for Le Puy and then continue to Primitivo.
September would be beautiful weather
And Sebastian ,
The golden rule is this ;
Forget who you walk with ....just relax , find your pace and keep your pace.
You will still see your friends that evening and will more than likely make others during the day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Next year will be a Holy Year. If you decide to walk next year, I doubt you will be alone. Ever.
Ever.
Don't focus on meeting people. If your purpose is to get to Santiago, for a "good" reason (whatever that may be), keep that in your mind. When times get tough, you'll have that thought to drive you. You will meet lots of people along the way, some for a few hours, some for a day or two, some for weeks, maybe, if you're lucky, a lifetime. You just can't know ahead of time.
Don't worry, the Camino will provide what you need.
Peace, Buen Camino. Keep us posted.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.