• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelling from Borda to Roncesvalles

artbellis

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
We began our Camino Frances today and are spending the night at the delightful Albergue in Borda. When in SJPDP at the passport office they gave us a map showing a portion of the route shown in John Brierley’s book as closed and are recommending a detour down to follow the road into Roncesvalles. The detour is at Cruceiro veering right instead of following the steep downhill toward Fontera Fuenta. Can anyone tell us if they have taken the old route (toward Fontera Fuenta), and if it was safe.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The route through the forest can be slippery as snot if it's raining. I haven't walked it this year, but was told last year it was rough. The route on the road is JUST as beautiful and is safe and no longer in my opinion. I guess it just depends on how tired you are. If it's raining, I would take the road down.

I walked the "official" last year and the "alternative" in 2019. I found the walk through the woods more beautiful but harder on my knees than the alternative. The alternative is also easier to walk. So if your knees are good, you can go the first option, if you feel tired or have problems with the knees, chose the alternative.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If the PO say the route is closed it’s likely to be for a good reason - land-slip, forestry work, lions, tigers or bears. I doubt it’s some obscure Gallic joke. You might try asking your hosts at Borda if they know why the route is closed. Nevertheless if the PO say take the road take the road
In my experience the PO always has a story about someone who broke their arm or sprained an ankle on the official route and therefore recommend the road. Not wanting to tempt fate I've always taken their advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, we also took the safer route. It was still steep, but less slippery. Another we had encountered earlier pilgrim took a tumble and it ended her Camino with some fractures. Another we met in Roncesvalles had also experienced a fall, but after a trip to the clinic was determined to travel on despite her bruises and bandages. Both had taken the non-recommended steeper route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We began our Camino Frances today and are spending the night at the delightful Albergue in Borda. When in SJPDP at the passport office they gave us a map showing a portion of the route shown in John Brierley’s book as closed and are recommending a detour down to follow the road into Roncesvalles. The detour is at Cruceiro veering right instead of following the steep downhill toward Fontera Fuenta. Can anyone tell us if they have taken the old route (toward Fontera Fuenta), and if it was safe.

Buen Camino
Laurent at Borda will tell you that when you get to that fork, the safe way down to Roncesvalles is to follow the rule, "Right is Life!" Enjoy the breath-taking Pyrenees. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If the PO say the route is closed it’s likely to be for a good reason - land-slip, forestry work, lions, tigers or bears. I doubt it’s some obscure Gallic joke. You might try asking your hosts at Borda if they know why the route is closed. Nevertheless if the PO say take the road take the road
Our host at Borda in August said the right is life (longer road route) and left is death (forest route). I took that to mean the forest route is not in good shape. It would be interesting if a 2023 forest route pilgrim could update.
Buen Camino

I’ve done both and actually prefer the route to the right as you will have a view looking down at the Monastary. If you go down through the forest you do not get this view. I would not actually call this a detour, it is more of a route option. They have been recommending this for years. I didn’t pay attention to the papers from the Pilgrim Office my first Camino and just followed the sign pointing down to Roncesvalles. I don’t know your physical condition, how strong your knees are or if it’s raining, but why take the risk so early in your journey.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I crossed that section five days ago. Everyone took the advice of the Camino office in St Jean PdeP. Why risk a possibly dodgy trail? The safe way is equally wonderful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen Camino
I walked the forest route in 2017 when I was 66. I walked it again on July 26 of this year from SJPP to Roncevalles. I’ve never walked the road; however, the Pilgrim Office also advised against the forest route when I picked up my credentials. It was a bit challenging, and I was tired after the long day, but I didn’t think it was that difficult. I did take my time and walked with caution since I’m 72. By the way, I had a great Camino, arriving in Santiago on August 27. I walked 33 consecutive days with no mishaps and felt truly blessed.

The road option is only 400 metres longer than the steep downhill option. The road option may take you past horses, but definitely takes you along beautiful views and past the Ibañeta Chapel, and ends with a stroll through the woods to bring you to the door of the albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.