• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice please? looking for ´the spiritual side´between Sarria nd Santiago

Ken C.

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in 2014
My wife and I have come from St Jean and are nearing teh end of a wonderful camino experience. She steared us to parrochial albergues to maximize opporunites for communal meals, prayer cirlces, etc. Since Sarria we can´t find much that is focused on pilgrimage per se, apart from mention of mass in teh parish church. we will use teh english chaplaincy and Pilgrim House in Staniago, but we could SURE use some suggestions out here!
Any spiritiually-encouraging albergues, functioning convents etc you know of after Sarria on the Way to Santiago? Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Ken C (and Mrs Ken C!) perhaps as 'old hands' (well you are now you know!) you could provide an opportunity for a spiritual connection for other pilgrims, especially those who have just started their journey in Sarria and might be a little shy or conscious of being regarded as a 'newbie' etc, wherever you stay. It could be a way of giving a little back to the Camino? I've always been grateful when others have invited me to share a time of prayer and/or meditation on any my pilgrimages.

My wife and I have come from St Jean and are nearing teh end of a wonderful camino experience. She steared us to parrochial albergues to maximize opporunites for communal meals, prayer cirlces, etc. Since Sarria we can´t find much that is focused on pilgrimage per se, apart from mention of mass in teh parish church. we will use teh english chaplaincy and Pilgrim House in Staniago, but we could SURE use some suggestions out here!
Any spiritiually-encouraging albergues, functioning convents etc you know of after Sarria on the Way to Santiago? Thanks!
Try the Fuenta del Peregrino albergue in Ligonde. It does not get more spiritual than that. There is a sort of prayer meeting before dinner but not like any prayer meeting you have ever been to. Then there is a movie on the life of Jesus with popcorn. Sounds a little strange eating popcorn during the passion of the Christ but it works. Dont mind if the little mouse turns up to watch too, he lives in a hole in the old stone wall. The communal dinner is excellent with after dinner liquours. In the morning, everything you could want for breakfast is waiting for you, only condition is that first person up switches on the kettle and coffee maker. All this for donation only. Dont be put off by appearances. Its an old stone converted barn in an old farming town so looks a bit run down but when I go back next spring, it is one of my must stop at albergues

I sincerely found the stretch Sarria-Santiago had such a different "vibe" than prior sections. I am not saying worse nor bad, just different. I did not minded the increased number of walkers, nor the groups. I actually loved the enthusiasm. Let me just say I am glad that my introduction to the Camino was NOT by walking Sarria-Santiago first. I probably would not have been back and would had walked away with the impression "it is just a hike"....

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Don't be concerned too much about the externals - the outside and the inside are one you know ... perhaps this section for you is for internal use?
from the Gospel of Thomas:
"3. Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you."

Thanks for the help, we are now moving forward happily. We were incredibly lucky to encounter Fuenta del Peregrino albergue in Ligonde on its third last night of operation for the season and it was just ás described above and exactly what we needed. They even stepped out in the pouring rain to invite passing pilgrims to stop for free coffee, goodies and a warm place to pause. The Fuente plus some unexpected interpersonal encounters got us back in the ´warm place´ we had found earlier in our camino. Tomight we are able to use this albergue kitchen to cook a communal dinner for some of our reunited camino family, and a thoughtful new friend from among the independent walkers who stared at Sarria. Ultreia!

Try the Fuenta del Peregrino albergue in Ligonde. It does not get more spiritual than that. There is a sort of prayer meeting before dinner but not like any prayer meeting you have ever been to. Then there is a movie on the life of Jesus with popcorn. Sounds a little strange eating popcorn during the passion of the Christ but it works. Dont mind if the little mouse turns up to watch too, he lives in a hole in the old stone wall. The communal dinner is excellent with after dinner liquours. In the morning, everything you could want for breakfast is waiting for you, only condition is that first person up switches on the kettle and coffee maker. All this for donation only. Dont be put off by appearances. Its an old stone converted barn in an old farming town so looks a bit run down but when I go back next spring, it is one of my must stop at albergues
This was the highlight of our Camino today. We were walking from Portomarin to Palais de Rei and I needed a break. Their welcome was so genuine that we just had to stop there. The atmosphere was just pure love. They were excited because we came from Australia and when I explained about 'Miracle Man', my husband who could not walk a year ago, but after major spinal reconstruction has now walked from St Jean, with every step being in gratitude, there were hugs and pictures all round. We felt humble and blessed such lovely caring camino angels. Buen camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the help, we are now moving forward happily. We were incredibly lucky to encounter Fuenta del Peregrino albergue in Ligonde on its third last night of operation for the season and it was just ás described above and exactly what we needed. They even stepped out in the pouring rain to invite passing pilgrims to stop for free coffee, goodies and a warm place to pause. The Fuente plus some unexpected interpersonal encounters got us back in the ´warm place´ we had found earlier in our camino. Tomight we are able to use this albergue kitchen to cook a communal dinner for some of our reunited camino family, and a thoughtful new friend from among the independent walkers who stared at Sarria. Ultreia!
Glad you liked it, it is a very unusual and welcoming albergue. Anyone interested, you can find them on facebook, just search for albergue name

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back