• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ahnu shoes

YogiAnnie2016

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
I am still trying to find the right shoe....sigh. Has anyone successfully worn
Ahnu Sugarpine Waterproof Hiking Shoes? What were the drawbacks if any? I know everyone's feet are different, I am wondering if this particular shoe is up for the 800km. REI has been disappointing in getting me into the right shoe, but I love their return policy and the discount I currently have.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I tried various boots and shoes for weeks and, not happy with so many others, bought Ahnu Montara from REI less than a week before setting off on my first Camino. They were fabulous - not a single blister from Salamanca to Santiago! I had flip-flops for non-hiking mode, no other shoes. My trip was shorter and I deliberately hiked shorter distances (<30 km) each day, but I was never unhappy with the Ahnus - different model though.

As for waterproof, they would get clammy sometimes since if I really got in water or mud, it would eventually seep through. Also on rainy days. Best way to dry upon arrival at hostels seemed to be remove insoles & stuff with wads of newspaper (change frequently) and then air out overnight. I believe there's truth to the notion that any shoe will get wet and non-waterproof shoes will dry faster. All the same, I don't think I'd hike in less supportive shoes just to get them to dry quickly.

Buen Camino!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome to the forum @YogiAnnie2016. I also bought Ahnu boots for my first and, so far, only Camino, and I love them. Different model though; below is a picture of them post-Camino. I got only one blister (three weeks in) and am still confounded as to the source of that blister. They got wet once - on the slippery, sloshy downhill to Zubiri and as the poster above said, they dried out very quickly by stuffing them with newspapers. On the two or three unseasonably hot days we encountered (April and May) I did not find them too hot. I slathered my feet with Vaseline every day and used only one pair of FoxRiver socks. I trained in those boots for several months pre-Camino, then walked from SJPP to Santiago - save about a 100 km stretch where I had to bus. There is some wear now on the outside heel areas on each boot, but I tend to inflict that kind of wear on my shoes anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Ahnu boots for another Camino. Good luck, and Buen Camino!

Attachments

• IMG_2100.JPG
    IMG_2100.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interesting ..... I was just reading another thread "Suggestions for Boots on Camino" about the soles of some boots not providing enough protection from the gravel/stones on the path. The one time I could have been displeased with my boots was on the merciless stoney trek down from Alto del Perdón, when the soles of my feet ached so much. However, that would not prevent me from buying Ahnu boots again; I would just be more careful about where I put my feet. :)

What a timely thread for me -- I am also still indecisive about my boots. I KNOW I'm over-thinking this -- as the sales person said, there will always be pluses and minuses to any pair of boots. But.... I'm embarrassed to say I'm still surrounded by "free shipping/free return" boots, including two models of Merrells, the Ahnu Montaras, and the Salomon XA Pro Mid GTX. I'm determined to make a decision this week to start putting some miles on them.

I like REI's try it out policy. Solomon, then Merrills and finally settled on Keens. I wear Merrills for regular wear but their hiking boot doesn't work for me. My break-in hike for the Keens was the Skyline trail on Mt Rainier, rain, mud and slate pathways for an 8 hour, 10.2 mile trail rated difficult. My feet stayed dry and no blisters. We are going to walk our pilgrimage in mid-March.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I wear the Ahnu Montara, and I like the boot a great deal. I walk many miles(60-80 a week) in all sorts of places: pavement, trails, the forests of Oregon, they are tough wear well. I use wool socks and bought them a half size bigger so when on long walks when my feet expand I have room in them. Ill take a new pair on the Comino the shoes are good too. The company was started by 2 design engineers from Keen. Keens were my second choice but I bought them a bit small and they wound up being to tight when my feet expand due to long walking. The roominess was key for me. My girlfriend is having similar issues as you with finding shoes and went to running /trail shoes but wants to find a boot type shoe too. hope this helps.

Agelhart

Ahnu Sugarpine Waterproof Hiking Shoes? What were the drawbacks if any? I know everyone's feet are different, I am wondering if this particular shoe is up for the 800km. REI has been disappointing in getting me into the right shoe, but I love their return policy and the discount I currently have.
Hi YogiAnnie2016. I will start my first Camino april-may in 2016. I bought Hanwag hiking boots. After a few months walking in this boots; most comfortable for my feet.
Wish you a Buen Camino!

I like REI's try it out policy. Solomon, then Merrills and finally settled on Keens. I wear Merrills for regular wear but their hiking boot doesn't work for me. My break-in hike for the Keens was the Skyline trail on Mt Rainier, rain, mud and slate pathways for an 8 hour, 10.2 mile trail rated difficult. My feet stayed dry and no blisters. We are going to walk our pilgrimage in mid-March.

Buen Camino
Hi J F Gregory, my Camino will start april-may.
Wish you a Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Seabird, when you see an old man with a snail's pace, that will be me.:);)
Wish you a good prep & a Buen Camino.
Well, I've planned on a slow pace myself, so we can take turns passing and lagging behind. :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the input from all. I am still in a quandary about low hikers vs boots. Waterproof vs non-water proof for walking May-June. Any ideas are welcome.

I swear by New Balance Trail Runners.
Unless you are used to boots or have weak ankles, there's really no need for boots, in my opinion.
But.. that's an old old discussion and you'll find plenty of threads on shoes/boots here. :D
Welcome to the forum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the input from all. I am still in a quandary about low hikers vs boots. Waterproof vs non-water proof for walking May-June. Any ideas are welcome.
YogiAnnie,
It is really about personal preference, I wore Merrill Moab Ventilators (Low profile, non waterproof) and put more than 1000 miles on them and will wear them on my next camino. I have a bone on bone issue on one of my ankles and only put an ankle brace on for 2 days. You need your shoes to be larger then you would normally buy because of long distance hiking swell your feet, mine are a full size larger (size 13). One thing to keep in mind is that waterproof shoes will definitely be hotter, my wife wore some on our first camino and ended up having severe rashes on her legs and ankles do to hot feet. On our next camino she changed to some Keen non waterproof shoes and it helped her a lot and didn't get any blisters. My take low profile and non waterproof will work fine on the camino.

The bottom line is you really need to put mileage on your shoes and find out which ones work best for you.

Last edited:
I am planning to do the Camino next May/June also Annie, maybe our paths will cross. I LOL'd at some of the comments on this thread as I too have a small stack of shoes/boots/sandals that I'm trying out. It's a little crazy making..... but I imagine blisters would be a lot more crazy making, so I'm doing what I can to see if I can prevent them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nice Seabird :) ...... so you know my real dilemma then.... how can I do this in slippahs :) I will definitely be sneaking a pair in my backpack for wearing in the evening
Oh yes, I have my slippahs ready, too! Along with some super light-weight slip-ons to wear into town. Now, if I could only decide on the boots.....

By the way, my forum name is from the Olomana song "Like a Seabird."

Nice Seabird :) ...... so you know my real dilemma then.... how can I do this in slippahs :) I will definitely be sneaking a pair in my backpack for wearing in the evening

I brought my Locals (dakine with the massaging bumps) for shower and evening use.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh yes, I have my slippahs ready, too! Along with some super light-weight slip-ons to wear into town. Now, if I could only decide on the boots.....

By the way, my forum name is from the Olomana song "Like a Seabird."
Niiice! I think once you live here, Hawaii must always be under your skin.... probably very close to the surface....
I'm considering taking hiking boots (Keen Targhee I seem to have settled on), and either some Brooks Adrenaline sneakers, or Teva hiking sandals (and of course some crocs slippahs for the shower and hanging out in later). I know it seems a little overkill on all the foot wear, but since it seems this can make or break your Camino, it seems like it would be worthwhile.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Footwear is probably the most important item of your Camino gear and there are probably as many opinions as there are pilgrims. My ten cents, sure ask around here, talk to the experienced sales staff at your local outdoors shop, try on as many pairs you can. If you can take them home, to try indoors, then so much the better. Your feet are different sizes (width wise) at the end of the day, especially if you have been on your feet all day. Best wishes for a successful choice and Buen Camino. Mike

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back