• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances. Gym shoes or hiking shoes?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hiking shoes or trail runners. Even hiking sandals. There are quite a few places where you want a good tread. Yes, there is pavement, but I wouldn't say that the majority of the route is asphalt.

In different places, different terms are used for casual athletic/running/walking shoes, so I'm not sure what you mean. If, by "gym shoes" you mean regular athletic/running/walking shoes, then yes, they should be fine. Many people wear them, rather than specially-designated "hiking" shoes.

I wear well-cushioned shoes that are marketed for running and walking. They are more comfortable for me, but are probably not as durable as "hiking" shoes.

It is quite important to test your shoes by several long (15 km) walks on consecutive days, if possible.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not sure what you mean by gym shoes either. I have walked in running shoes, and now in sandals. (I go for comfort not durability).
The most important thing is fit and comfort for your feet, lots of people will give you advise on what works for them, what's more important is what works for you.
Make sure you have tested them for distance walking on consecutive days preferably with a pack on actual paths and trail (treadmills are fine for fitness for not for testing shoes). I also try on shoes late in the day, to allow for some foot swelling.
There is some pavement, but lots of gravel paths. The worst hard surfaces I find are the paths in and out of cities. You'll see a variety of running shoes, trail runners, boots, and sandals.
At the beginning the shoes on the racks are all colours, after a month, they are all grey/brown/dust tinted with colour.

You are starting just over a week from now? Have you have trained in, or broken in, a couple of different types of shoes? Wear the one that feels comfiest with your feet and your socks.
For us - we each started training with one type of shoe and ended up starting our Camino in a different shoe😊. Mine was a Brooks trail runner, his was a Merrill trail shoe. Wear what is comfy for you and stop and treat hotspots as soon as you feel them!!! it is astonishing how quickly a blister can develop.

Very lightweight boots (it may rain) or good, waterproof trailrunners. 3 pairs of socks.
Don't mess with your feet!

Have fun, turn around from time to time, socialize, eat local food, drink local wine and beer, be patient with you and your fellow pilgrims.

BC

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you for all of your helpful comments. In the old days, we called them gym shoes. They’re now called trail runners. 🙂
Margo, in your old days, maybe. In my old days, these were modern gym shoes, given they had a gusset instead of laces. Where I come from, they are called gutties. I pinched the image from a bit of a dodgy site so will not quote... ours were white, and we had to whitewash them regularly.

IMG_4797.jpeg

Like someone mentioned above, depends on the terrain, but your feet are very important, so taking care of it on a long walk like Camino is important. I brought lightweight boots with waterproof treatment and a pair of TEVA sandals. I don’t regret the choice, during the descent to Zubiri, and some high rocky terrain through Spain, the rains and the mud I’m glad I had my boots! The sandals came handy in the Mesetas when I let my feet breathe and a break from the boots! Trail runners are good too, but water, rocks and mud gets in them unless you have gaiters. But of course everyone makes the choice that is best for them, Hope this help! BUEN CAMINO

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for all of your helpful comments. In the old days, we called them gym shoes. They’re now called trail runners. 🙂
Gym shoes and trail runners really aren't the same. Trail runners have a more aggressive sole that's suited to trails than gym shoes or road running shoes. But people have successfully worn them on the Camino. Definitely wear shoes that you are the most comfortable in, and hopefully you have done several long walks in.

I’m walking the Camino Frances on September 13th. I heard that there’s a lot of pavement. Is this a walk that can be done in gym shoes, or are hiking shoes recommended?

I’m walking the Camino Frances on September 13th. I heard that there’s a lot of pavement. Is this a walk that can be done in gym shoes, or are hiking shoes recommended?
  • As I would walk 15 km to 24 km a day for 25+ days.
  • The trail surface could be even / uneven, their types can be dirt, cement, asphalt, etc., ascent vs descent, etc. are different on each day or part of each day.
  • The shoes should be able to handle the trail conditions, in addition to providing cushioning, stability and support.
  • I wear light-weight hiking shoes with good cushioning and support.

Margo, in your old days, maybe. In my old days, these were modern gym shoes, given they had a gusset instead of laces. Where I come from, they are called gutties. I pinched the image from a bit of a dodgy site so will not quote... ours were white, and we had to whitewash them regularly.

View attachment 155820
We called these plimsoles when I was quite young.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
John Hillaby, check him out here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hillaby always walked in Dunlop “Green Flash” plimsolls. Fred Perry wore them winning Wimbledon 1934 - 1936.

Hillaby was a long-distance hiker, sitting comfortably in the pantheon of British eccentrics, who took his morning shower by shaking out his tent flysheet, occasionally still wearing his underpants if he thought decorum or discretion was required. Fred Perry was a professional Tennis player. Neither were ingenue to their craft.

@margomorrison, with 8 days to go, just wear the most comfortable pair of walking shoes you own.

View attachment 155820
My impression was that it was because of the guttiperka soles (rubber) hence gutties

Given the weather over the past week (friends sending me photos from the CF) it has been horrendously we. Gym shoes and indeed shoes of any kind are not coping well

Attachments

• 43afdb64-a7df-4b3d-b678-5f10435ac908.jpeg
    43afdb64-a7df-4b3d-b678-5f10435ac908.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 0b085882-d2b3-4b9d-8df2-924538ccf9e0.jpeg
    0b085882-d2b3-4b9d-8df2-924538ccf9e0.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 16
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
John Hillaby, check him out here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hillaby always walked in Dunlop “Green Flash” plimsolls. Fred Perry wore them winning Wimbledon 1934 - 1936.

Hillaby was a long-distance hiker, sitting comfortably in the pantheon of British eccentrics, who took his morning shower by shaking out his tent flysheet, occasionally still wearing his underpants if he thought decorum or discretion was required. Fred Perry was a professional Tennis player. Neither were ingenue to their craft.

@margomorrison, with 8 days to go, just wear the most comfortable pair of walking shoes you own.
Read all of his books years ago. I found him wonderfully eccentric and inspiring

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From “A Journey to Love”, and a perfect expression of the contrarian he ever was. “Do not plan long journeys, because whatever you believe in you have already seen. When the thing is everywhere, the way to find it is not to travel but to love.”

A comfort and a reminder

I walked the Frances from Sjpdp starting the 1 of april this year. I like wearing non waterproof trailrunners, but I've seen almost every posible type of footwear. While the advice to test your footwear before you set out on a camino, I've met an awfull lot of people on my way who felt forced to buy new shoes due to failing material, other than anticipated needs and injuries. most of them switched from (too tight) hiking boots to trailrunners, some to sandals like Keens or teva's. I also met a girl who finished her camino wearing slip on shoes of which she cut the heels out. So my advise would be to take shoes you feel comfortable in, but also to have some extra budget to buy different shoes when the need should arise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Margo:
I did it in Merrill's Moab 3's. My partner did it in some crazy lightweight shoes she found at the 2nd hand store.
She rocked the entire CF....I on the other hand struggled mightily, both with a pack too heavy (even after losing a pile of stuff) and a loss of feeling in the bottom of one of my feet!
There are some tough spots but because she was a rock star, nothing slowed her down!
Remember, you can buy almost anything you decide you need there. You don't want to break in anything while on the Camino however. That seems like the only good rule!
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back