• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue at Santa Marta de Tera

Simon B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
Seems some confusion from various sources when the Municipal Hostal opens. I am planning to arrive at end of Feb. Some guides say open all year, some say Easter onwards and some say March onwards. Anybody have the right answer??

Thank you in anticipation.

Simon

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've come across mistakes and out-of-date information even in the most reliable guides. When two trustworthy sources differ, you might have to go to the source to verify. The number for the albergue is on Antonio Retamosa's site:

Whatever information you get today, the situation might change between now and February if a pipe bursts or someone's health fails. If you stop at Tabara on your way to Santa Marta, you can be sure that the hospitalero there (Jose Almeida) will offer you the most up-to-date information and advice about the next stage.

In the event that Santa Marta is closed, you could divert to Camarazana de Tera, where there's a hotel or you could continue along the Camino to Calzadilla de Tera, which makes for a somewhat long stage. Fortunately the path from Santa Marta to Calzadilla de Tera is quite gentle and flat. (Unfortunately, the walk from Tabara to Santa Marta is quite strenuous). After that gentle walk, you might feel like continuing another couple of kilometers as far as the albergue La Trucha in Olleros. It is run by a delightful old lady who serves home-made sausage in her bar, but the single-walled cinderblock dormitory is as cold as the North Pole.

Seems some confusion from various sources when the Municipal Hostal opens. I am planning to arrive at end of Feb. Some guides say open all year, some say Easter onwards and some say March onwards. Anybody have the right answer??

Simon
Usually Gronze has most up to date info: https://www.gronze.com/castilla-y-leon/zamora/santa-marta-tera/albergue-peregrinos-santa-marta-tera
and it says it's opened whole year but to check beforehand in the wintertime.

If it is of great inportance for you to sleep there simply ring the phone number in the link or send e-mail to the municipality.

Happy planning!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and I thought that it was open all year. When we arrived the front gate and entry to the alburgue were open but no hospitalario came to take any money or stamp the credentials. There is a donation box on the table just inside the entry corridor and the notice on the board that is on your RHS said to go to the church between 4 and 6 pm to get your sello. I believe the alburgue is run by a Camino society affiliated to the Church and is very nice with great kitchen and bathroom facilities, good heating, but no blankets. There is a very small tienda close by that opens at 5 pm, but we chose to walk back across the river 1.5 kms to a good carnicería and larger tienda for our dinner supplies. For very detailed and accurate alburgue info go to Gronze and utilise their VdlP section with the various stages. Definitely an alburgue to plan a stop at, hope this helps you :)

We stayed there a couple of weeks ago and I thought that it was open all year. When we arrived the front gate and entry to the alburgue were open but no hospitalario came to take any money or stamp the credentials. There is a donation box on the table just inside the entry corridor and the notice on the board that is on your RHS said to go to the church between 4 and 6 pm to get your sello. I believe the alburgue is run by a Camino society affiliated to the Church and is very nice with great kitchen and bathroom facilities, good heating, but no blankets. There is a very small tienda close by that opens at 5 pm, but we chose to walk back across the river 1.5 kms to a good carnicería and larger tienda for our dinner supplies. For very detailed and accurate alburgue info go to Gronze and utilise their VdlP section with the various stages. Definitely an alburgue to plan a stop at, hope this helps you :)
Great to hear they got rid of those piles of blankets because couple of years ago that's where the bedbugs were crawling from during the night...
Very nice albergue though and if the small tienda is closed you can ring the bell and the Senora will come and open it. Instructions in the corridor by the kitchen if I remember correctly.

I think municipal albergues in Galicia have gotten rid of blankets as a matter of policy now.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
We never expect Xunta alburgues to have blankets (or cooking and eating utensils) but surprisingly when registering and paying at the Emergency Services office at Laza the officer asked if we would like a blanket and that he would deliver them to the alburgue later that evening. We were very impressed by the quality of the Xunta alburgues on the Sanabres.

Simon
Hi mate, I've walked the VDLP 3 times in the last four yrs. the first occasion it was open at the very end of February. The other two occasions, it was closed.... at the end of January. The stage from tabara is relatively long at about 34k. It is mainly flat with a few stiff, but short inclines! You could walk about 12k to the first village and beautiful albergue with a pellet stove in a full size living room and a big tv. Spotlessly clean, well stocked kitchen. Key from the local restaurant £15. No guide book... can be 100 percent accurate . Incidentally, the albergue after tabara at 34k... is braw, but no heating or kitchen. It is adjacent to a shop which opens for pilgrims, as the lady lives next door. I'll be off again on the 15/12. Can't wait. Cheers wild

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Simon
My guide says open from Easter to December. I came through there on December 3rd and it was closed.

Hi mate, I've walked the VDLP 3 times in the last four yrs. the first occasion it was open at the very end of February. The other two occasions, it was closed.... at the end of January. The stage from tabara is relatively long at about 34k. It is mainly flat with a few stiff, but short inclines! You could walk about 12k to the first village and beautiful albergue with a pellet stove in a full size living room and a big tv. Spotlessly clean, well stocked kitchen. Key from the local restaurant £15. No guide book... can be 100 percent accurate . Incidentally, the albergue after tabara at 34k... is braw, but no heating or kitchen. It is adjacent to a shop which opens for pilgrims, as the lady lives next door. I'll be off again on the 15/12. Can't wait. Cheers wild

Not sure if it's the same one, but I was recovering from an infection when I left Tábara, so I couldn't manage 34k and stopped in a lovely albergue in Villanueva de las Peras, just 14K from Tábara. The next day, I took an alternate route to Rionegro that was 30km (shaved 7 km off). I wish I could tell you what I did (I have no record), but if you're interested, I'm sure other pilgrims or locals could explain what to do.

Whatever you do, don't forget to eat at Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro - hands down the best meal of my Camino!

Buen camino!

Whatever you do, don't forget to eat at Me Gusta Comer in Rionegro - hands down the best meal of my Camino!
Can highly back up this recommendation. We ate there recently and it was our best pilgrim meal (best meal ever) on any of our Caminos. It was 10€ and he was preparing each course in front of us. It was a degustation style menu and amazing. Do yourself a favour and plan to eat there when staying at Rio Negro, you won’t regret it 👍 😄

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can highly back up this recommendation. We ate there recently and it was our best pilgrim meal (best meal ever) on any of our Caminos. It was 10€ and he was preparing each course in front of us. It was a degustation style menu and amazing. Do yourself a favour and plan to eat there when staying at Rio Negro, you won’t regret it 👍 😄

Couldn't agree more, that place is NOT to be misssed! Sometimes I am dreaming just traveling down there, only for the food! BC SY

Thank you to everybody for the most welcome advice. Might revert to plan A and just walk and see what happens.

Buen Camino, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Simon B

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back