• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergue queuing

sprinto

Time of past OR future Camino
Working on it
Is it still the done thing that if you arrive early at an albergue you can leave your rucksack
at the door to save your place in the queue if the albergue is not yet open ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Always works for me. Sometimes you can access the washbasin and scrub your clothes from the days walk, grab a beer and sit down and relax until the doors open. Only time I ever saw an issue was some guy who claimed to be injured who had ridden in the Jacotran vehicle and said he had priority for a bed over those who already put our bags in line. You can on imagine the hostile reaction this clown got from all of us on a very hot day after walking to Ages.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You can on imagine the hostile reaction this clown got from all of us on a very hot day after walking to Ages.

I mostly walk quiet routes or out of the main season so it has not been an issue for me. I assume that you have to return in person by opening time to physically rejoin the queue? The hospitaleros are not expected to reserve beds for absentees just because they have dumped a bag on the doorstep? I'm imagining a situation where someone drops their pack and goes off for their menu del dia then returns to find the albergue has filled up in the meantime. Potential for arguments there.

Or potentially you might arrive a bit late to find your bag sitting outside all alone and the beds have all been taken in your absence, or your bag has disappeared; probably very unlikely, but I wouldn't take a chance even if no valuables were inside...🙄

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Always works for me. Sometimes you can access the washbasin and scrub your clothes from the days walk, grab a beer and sit down and relax until the doors open. Only time I ever saw an issue was some guy who claimed to be injured who had ridden in the Jacotran vehicle and said he had priority for a bed over those who already put our bags in line. You can on imagine the hostile reaction this clown got from all of us on a very hot day after walking to Ages.
Wow, I guess some people are just exceptional.

Please tell us the rest of the story! Did the allegedly injured pilgrim get priority in the end, or did the walkers win out?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting. We weren't aware of that custom when we walked del Norte this past spring. We were disturbed by an incident at the municipal albergue in Castro Urdiales. Quite a few people were waiting outside before the 16-bed albergue opened. When the doors opened, some new arrivals got in line ahead of some people who had been waiting for awhile. I don't recall if the earlier arrivals protested, but I do know that several people who had been waiting were turned away. After that, we started booking ahead when we planned to stay in a place that allowed prior booking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's a sensible measure to let people leave their gear and wander around. Makes sense also that you have to be there at opening time to keep your place in the queue. But it can be a bit Draconian ... I was in the queue one time and I bent down to fumble in my gear, and when I looked up the door was open and all the people behind me vanished inside. Buen Camino is all very well but it goes out the window when the scramble for a bed begins.

I came across a situation where a tour guide placed a backpack in the queue and when the Albergue opened around the corner came his Client’s expecting to jump the queue to where the backpack was. He didn’t get away with that.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is it still the done thing that if you arrive early at an albergue you can leave your rucksack
at the door to save your place in the queue if the albergue is not yet open ?
Sort of, but you'd better stay in the vicinity. So really it's become mostly a method of sitting more comfortably on a nearby low wall or bench while you wait, and keeping your place in the queue meanwhile. Sure, you can make a dash to an ATM or grab a snack in a bar or something, but best ask others in the queue if they don't mind watching over your pack ?

Theft from unattended backpacks has become more frequent in recent years, so the number of unattended backpacks in that scenario and others has sharply decreased. Pack transport on the Francès, for instance, is now increasingly organised from bar to bar rather than between the Albergues, from the theft problem.

Also, the proportion of Albergues where you can reserve your spot with little need to queue up for it has greatly increased versus those where it's first come first served.

The beginning of the queue in Ourense. There was a very nice bar just across the street where we waited.

Attachments

• Ourese albergue.jpg
    Ourese albergue.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back