• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Storage in Refugios/Albergues

davejsy

Walked the Camino Francés for SSD UK 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 sept/Oct
Primitivo July 2024
Hello all,

I'm just wondering where you leave your backpack in the Refugios? Is there secure storage, or is it safe to just leave them on bed?! Maybe a stupid question, but I do live in Jersey where most people don't bother locking front doors🤣.

I've never seen this mentioned in the books, YouTube's etc.

Thank you

Dave

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thé is no standard storage. However NEVER put the pack on a bunk or bed. Some albergues have lockers with locks. Others lockers without locks. Others have no lockers and packs are left on the floor.

Furthermore take all your major valuables -- documents, money/credit cards, camera and phone with you always. Even into the shower stall. Never leave visible/accessible what you can't afford to lose!! Never tell anyone where you keep those valuables. All pilgrims are not angels nor is everyone wandering about a pilgrim. Be aware but not anxious.

Last edited:
Most places it will be on the floor next to or under your bunk. Take valuables with you at all times, but no one wants your dirty socks or underwear so usually safe to leave clothes, sleeping bag, etc while you are eating or enjoying a shower.

Don't lay your pack on the bed. I do occasionally hang mine from the bunk post if I am in an upper bunk.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While theft of backpacks happens, it is very rare. Think of what might be interesting to a thieve. Will that be valuables or a worn backpack with worn clothes inside? So as the others have said, take your valuables and don't worry to much about your backpack.

I carried in an outside pocket of my pack a lightweight chain and padlock which on very rare occasions I actually used to lock my pack to e.g. a radiator pipe or chair inside a lodging place. I also use it to lock my pack to the end-of-coach luggage rack on trains, and when I need to enter a shop that prohibits entry of customers' packs and bags, I use it to lock my pack to something outside the shop.

Most nights I judged it to be unnecessary because alternate security measures were in place such as a lockable locker or the difficult-to-access location of the albergue (e.g. Orrison) or an extreme lack of passers-by (e.g. Santovenia, just east of Burgos).

Every lodging place presents its own unique security risk profile. You will have to evaluate the risk for yourself.

Of course, one should never leave anything in one's unattended pack that would be valuable enough for a thief to trade at a pawnshop, but you probably already know that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just a note that we recommend not laying your pack on the bed as bedbugs can be passed along that way. If there are other reasons, other members can pipe in!
It also helps to keep the beds clean as during the day the backpacks often sit on the floors of bars, restaurants, or outside on patios while we are eating a meal. Floors aren't always the cleanest as the day wears on.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I must say I think I was probably being a bit naive, likely due to living in an island where someone having a handbag stolen makes front-page news! So this has been really helpful.
It's mentioned above that some shops/bars don't let you in with your pack, which thinking about it now is quite understandable but another thing I hadn't thought about. Is this common in shops and bars, or do the majority allow you in with packs?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From two Caminos i remember a single occasion where a shop owner did not want us to go in with the backpacks. It might have helped that my backpack does not look like i was going in a wilderness expedition (meaning: its quite small).
Even if thats the case, usually there will be someone around that you can ask to have a look at the backpack while you're inside.
With bars, we mainly sat outside anyways and if you have to order inside, just take turns and leave your stuff at the table.
In summary, it will be less of an issue as you might think.

From two Caminos i remember a single occasion where a shop owner did not want us to go in with the backpacks. It might have helped that my backpack does not look like i was going in a wilderness expedition (meaning: its quite small).
Even if thats the case, usually there will be someone around that you can ask to have a look at the backpack while you're inside.
With bars, we mainly sat outside anyways and if you have to order inside, just take turns and leave your stuff at the table.
Thank you - thats good to know :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This backpack stood outside for over six hours during the day with no one looking out for it and nothing happened to it.
View attachment 155706
Of course, there are no guarantees in life though.
Back in the olden days (2008/09) I would leave my pack outside whatever cafe I stopped at for refreshment so my walking buddies who were behind me could tell at a glance where I was. Never had a problem.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I must say I think I was probably being a bit naive, likely due to living in an island where someone having a handbag stolen makes front-page news! So this has been really helpful.
It's mentioned above that some shops/bars don't let you in with your pack, which thinking about it now is quite understandable but another thing I hadn't thought about. Is this common in shops and bars, or do the majority allow you in with packs?
Again, just make sure your valuables are with you and not in your pack when you leave it outside.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've travelled for the last 50 years with my valuables in a neck/waist bag on my person, never in my pack/handbag/suitcase so no worries about forgetting to take them out. ;)

"Is [it common for shops to disallow entry of customer bags & packs], or do the majority allow you in with packs?

In my experience, quite a lot of big name chain grocery stores in Spain disallow entry of any and all customer bags, packs, and shopping trolleys, but they provide a convenient self-serve lock-up facility just inside the door. The lock-up facility varies between coin-deposit-operated lockers and coin-deposit-operated permanently-tethered chains that are fitted with a sort of plug that goes into a locking socket, to form a bag-securing loop. The usage-enablement key remains captive until a coin is deposited, but the same coin is returned later when one re-inserts and turns the correctly-numbered key to retrieve one's bag. The system is extremely straightforward, intuitive, and easy to use.

Smaller family-run shops tend to have less formalized security requirements, but there are practicalities: some of them have narrow aisles, which introduces the risk of a wearer of a backpack inadvertently knocking merchandise off of the shelves that are behind the pack-wearer, and/or bumping into other customers. I have unwisely entered such a tightly-spaced shop while wearing my backpack, and then realized that I needed to find an aisle intersection where there was more space, so that I could carefully remove my pack and carry it outside, lock it up, and then re-start my shopping.

BTW that is why I keep my chain and padlock in an easily-accessible outer pocket of the pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also helps to be carrying your backpack rather than wearing it... much more manoeuvrableand less likely to bump others if space is limited....

On 20+ Caminos over the last 13 years I've never had a problem wearing my backpack into a store or café.

I just leave my pack outside when I go into a shop or cafe... In some places, I have used a zip tie to connect the pack to a chair or a table or something. Then no one can just grab it without a heck of a clatter. My valuables are on always on me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"In some places, I have used a zip tie to connect the pack to a chair or a table or something. Then no one can just grab it without a heck of a clatter."

That's actually a clever idea and one I had not thought of. Thanks for the idea.

A handful of heavy-duty zip ties plus the owner's penknife weigh much less than a chain and padlock and the key. If the zip-tie is inserted into its socket just enough to secure it, and if when "unlocking" it is cut by the owner at the correct side of the socket, then each zip-tie could be used multiple times, gradually getting a bit shorter each time.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back