Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Albergue Santibanez de Valdeiglesia

Kardan

Did not enjoy the stay at this albergue. The 2 toilets & showers were outside and John Brierley's book described a tranquil interior with orchard to the rear. The orchard was overgrown & not pleasant to sit in. The man who ran the albergue was quite rude & wouldn't even let you see the inside of the albergue before checking in - I think his statement was this is an albergue not a hotel. We were pretty tired when we arrived here & did not feel capable of walking another 7.2km. The only bar in the town closed at 2 p.m. & only opened for us when we found out where the owner lived & knocked on his door to open the bar. There were no cooking facilities in the albergue & the owner cooked a meal which was average. Would not recommend staying at this albergue.

oboemargot

Just to provide another perspective- this was one of my favorite stays. Smaller rooms with only 3 bunkbeds, the garden was comfortable (except the flies that tend to be everywhere in this part of Spain,) showers with warm water and a meal provided in a town that didn't have so much as a bar or a shop. I liked to say it was a very impressive name for a town with nothing :)

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Finished: See post signature.
Upcoming: Nothing planned
I read your posts and decided to stop in one village before. Didn't want to chance. The alberge here in Villares de Órbigo is really nice.

D

Deleted member 3000

With four years passing since the review, and no additional comments by other pilgrims, perhaps this post was just a "flaming," and should not be given much credence. Lots of bars close. Lots of albergue meals are not gourmet. I can tell you that Hercule is a very fun hospitalero, a bit of a Camino character. He held a no-charge queimada when I was there, and he had a couple in the kitchen doing the cooking. Who know; he may have cleared out the garden a bit!

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
It might be good or bad so I didn't push those extra 2,5 km to find out. And I'm really happy that I stayed here in Villares de Órbigo as the couple running the albergue are lovely. I have the whole place for my self and just finished a lovely meal with them.

But is good of you to point out that the review was old. I missed that when I read it. My guided says "not well maintained" about the place and it was also a reason for me not to go those extra km to there.

HighlandHind

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (Sept 2012)
Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia (Sept 2014)
Porto to Santigo (Sept 2015)
The Meseta (hopefully April 2016)
I loved it here. The food was delicious and the garden a great place to hang out. One of my favourites, not for the facilities, but the people and the memories.

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I talked with one person staying there the night I stayed in the town before. He really hated it. So it seams to be a place you love or hate :)

sharondb

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2010, Camino Frances 2011, Camino Madrid 2014
I stayed there in 2010. I really liked it. We had a communal dinner and sat around outside and talked until midnight. The garden may have been a bit overgrown but it had character.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 200 15.1%
  • May