• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues advice in general?

atatl

Time of past OR future Camino
June 4-19 2023
Hello! I'm new to the Camino and to solo traveling as a whole and have some questions. I'd love to "let the Camino provide" but would like to understand a litte more about albergues/hostels in general.

1.) What time do they typically open? How early should you get there?
2.) I've seen pictures of people lining up their shoes/bags outside before opening... how do you secure your spot in an albergue?
4.) If you've got a spot, is it safe to leave your belongings there while you go to dinner or around town that evening?
5.) If you arrive and it's full what's usually your next best option?

I start in Porto in just a few weeks and am getting a little nervous about the logistics so any advice or insights help!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome!
My opinion:
In my experience if you arrive by 2 pm you are likely to get a bed in most albergues.

2.) I've seen pictures of people lining up their shoes/bags outside before opening... how do you secure your spot in an albergue?
Some line up their bags. I prefer to just stand in line.

4.) If you've got a spot, is it safe to leave your belongings there while you go to dinner or around town that evening?
NEVER leave anything you can't afford to replace. So I leave my pack and clothing but always take my cash, credit cards, passports, and electronics with me.

Ask if they know of a bed somewhere. Ask at the nearest bar. Taxi to the next village.

Use gronze .com or another app - to tell you what time each albergue is going to open along your route. It also tells you whether or not reservations are accepted and if yes, it gives phone, email, website, or booking .com link to reserve a bed. But even the albergues who accept reservations - many hold some beds that are not available for reservation for those who just walk up looking for a bed.

I have only "lined up" for a bed a couple times. Most of the time I arrive, check in, and go straight to the bed assigned. But if you arrive before opening and you see people already gathering, lining up is how they know who arrived first.

Once you have a spot - you can leave your backpack/belongings by your bed - but always keep valuables with you. Theft can happen anywhere - but for the most part, people are not looking to steel your non-valuable gear.

If the albergue is full - you can usually just go to the next albergue in town or the next town's albergue. Usually my first choice has room, and if not, there is usually another option nearby. But - if EVERYTHING is full, albergue hosts are often willing to help find a bed and if needed - call a taxi for you.

To get a bed in an albergue - aim to arrive shortly before or after the opening time, but before 3pm you are likely to get a bed. The later you arrive after that, the more likely you will have to search for a bed. If I know I am going to arrive later - I might reserve a bed in the morning or night before in my destination town.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello! I'm new to the Camino and to solo traveling as a whole and have some questions. I'd love to "let the Camino provide" but would like to understand a litte more about albergues/hostels in general.

I start in Porto in just a few weeks and am getting a little nervous about the logistics so any advice or insights help!
Welcome Atatl! This is a great group! and Buen Camino- you will be on the road soon.

In Portugal most of albergues are privat so you could ring in advance if they have a bed available for you
In Spain lots are municipal ones but also privat ones
One for example is o Refúxio de la Jerezana in Cessantes, 3 kms beyond Redondela.
Other one is o Cruzeiro in Caldas de Reis
It’s a hotel with albergue facilities

Depending on what your itinerary is
Out of Porto, o Mosteiro de Vairão is privat
São Pedro de Rates too
In Barcelos are two albergues
One before the bridge in Barcelinos and one in town

Casa da Fernanda is very popular and phone ahead or send me a personal message ( I am in contact with Fernanda ‘s husband via Whatsapp for reservations several times a week)
In Ponte de Lima , Rubiães and Valença I do not know if they are privat or municipal
Maybe others here on the forum know the answer
I stayed there in hostals .

Last edited:
Casa da Fernanda is very popular and phone ahead or send me a personal message ( I am in contact with Fernanda ‘s husband via Whatsapp for reservations several times a week)
Let me second what @Albertinho mentioned about Casa da Fernanda. I phoned ahead and was able to easily reserve with her. As few people were there the early spring day we arrived, she offered us her one private room. On no other Camino have I met such a warm and welcoming host. Staying at Fernanda’s was the highlight of our CP. Do try to stay there if you can. Her hospitality is second to none.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While on the CN, I arrived first at an albergue. But a short walk away was a collection of restaurants so off I went with my pack to get lunch and enjoy the ambience of the patio on a glorious sunny day. Then I noticed a couple of peregrinos walking past me toward the albergue and when I looked back, there was a line!! I went over and thankfully got the last bed available.
I would not have left my pack 'in line' so it would have been better for me to have gotten lunch and returned so I would have been sure to keep my place. But it all worked out.
Several places have lockers for your pack but still keep with you those important things like cash/passports/credit cards/electronics.

In Portugal most of albergues are privat so you could ring in advance if they have a bed available for you
One for example is o Refúxio de la Jerezana in Cessantes, 3 kms beyond Redondela.

São Pedro de Rates too

In Ponte de Lima , Rubiães and Valença I do not know if they are privat or municipal
The only place I remember backpacks lining up on the Portugues was in Ponte de Lima where the albergue opened unusually late (4 pm if my memory serves). Rubiães has both municipal and private albergues.

In general, I second Anniesantiago's advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

São Pedro de Rates too

I am starting my first Camino (Portugues Central route, but starting Day 1 going along the coast to Labruge and then crossing over to the Central on Day 2). I also have a few questions:

1. I read on another thread that there is a 13% fee for Portuguese ATMs. I went to the bank and I will be taking a little over 300 Euros with me. Is that enough cash to get me through the Portuguese part of the Camino or should I bring some more? I'm anticipating 6 days along the Camino in Portugal. I was hoping to stay mostly in municipal albergues in Portugal that would only require a small cash donation. The only private albergue I have planned for sure is Casa Fernanda. Assuming Spain doesn't have the same ATM markup fee of 13%, I figured I can get more cash in Spain if necessary.

2. I'm planning my Portugues Camino from June 10-22. Do you think that I will need to worry about "the bed race" or is that more of a worry on the Camino Frances?

3. I'm starting my Camino on June 10th, which I have realized is a national holiday. What can I expect? Will businesses be open? Will streets be shut down for parades and such?

Thank you for your help!

There was another post from yesterday or the day before about cutting the coastal from Labruge to the central .I do not know where this comes from so suddenly. I answered it yesterday. You better can cut this in Vila do Conde what is 4 kms further on. Is better for your health to do that. However there is a road from Labruje but without footpath and only a hard shoulder . From Vila do Conde it is safer.

Casa Fernanda. As the family Rodrigues are friends and I am in contact with them several times a week by Whatsapp ( secret number by the way-I do not publish it) I can tell you that it is very busy at the moment and every day they are complete.
If you send me a pm ( click on my avatar) and write me your name and from what country you are and the date you think you will arrive there, I’ll send a whatsapp message to Fernanda’s husband and regulary he lets me know the same day or day after if there is place or not.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am starting my first Camino (Portugues Central route, but starting Day 1 going along the coast to Labruge and then crossing over to the Central on Day 2). I also have a few questions:

1. I read on another thread that there is a 13% fee for Portuguese ATMs. I went to the bank and I will be taking a little over 300 Euros with me. Is that enough cash to get me through the Portuguese part of the Camino or should I bring some more? I'm anticipating 6 days along the Camino in Portugal. I was hoping to stay mostly in municipal albergues in Portugal that would only require a small cash donation. The only private albergue I have planned for sure is Casa Fernanda. Assuming Spain doesn't have the same ATM markup fee of 13%, I figured I can get more cash in Spain if necessary.

2. I'm planning my Portugues Camino from June 10-22. Do you think that I will need to worry about "the bed race" or is that more of a worry on the Camino Frances?

3. I'm starting my Camino on June 10th, which I have realized is a national holiday. What can I expect? Will businesses be open? Will streets be shut down for parades and such?

Thank you for your help!
1. 300 should be plenty for 6 days if you are staying at albergues and are not extravagant. But I wouldn't be stingy with your donations at donativo albergues. It is what you donate that determines what they can offer to tomorrow's pilgrims.

2. I would not worry about a bed race on the Portugues. But I would reserve ahead for Casa da Fernanda (and be generous with your donation there :) ).

3. This one I can't speak to.

There was another post from yesterday or the day before about cutting the coastal from Labruge to the central .I do not know where this comes from so suddenly. I answered it yesterday. You better can cut this in Vila do Conde what is 4 kms further on. Is better for your health to do that. However there is a road from Labruje but without footpath and only a hard shoulder . From Vila do Conde it is safer.

Casa Fernanda. As the family Rodrigues are friends and I am in contact with them several times a week by Whatsapp ( secret number by the way-I do not publish it) I can tell you that it is very busy at the moment and every day they are complete.
If you send me a pm ( click on my avatar) and write me your name and from what country you are and the date you think you will arrive there, I’ll send a whatsapp message to Fernanda’s husband and regulary he lets me know the same day or day after if there is place or not.
Yes I was planning on switching over at Vila do Conde. As for Casa Fernanda, I already made a reservation back in March, but I will send you a PM because I would appreciate it you could reach out to double check the reservation.

1. 300 should be plenty for 6 days if you are staying at albergues and are not extravagant. But I wouldn't be stingy with your donations at donativo albergues. It is what you donate that determines what they can offer to tomorrow's pilgrims.

2. I would not worry about a bed race on the Portugues. But I would reserve ahead for Casa da Fernanda (and be generous with your donation there :) ).

3. This one I can't speak to.
Thank you! I ordered more Euros just in case because I’m also waiting on a new debit card to come in, but I appreciate all of your help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I read on another thread that there is a 13% fee for Portuguese ATMs.
I believe that is the "courtesy" conversion rate that the ATM offers you. You can remind the automatic conversion and let your bank do the conversion for you.

I had the very great pleasure of staying at Casa Da Fernanda last night. It far exceeded my expectations. Fernanda is a great hostess. Her first words were come in take your pack off and sit down and take your shoes off. Just what a weary pilgrim wants to hear. After a shower it was an afternoon of drinking wine and chatting to fellow pilgrims before a most excellent dinner with more wine and even some singing. Fernanda’s husband served a very heart breakfast to give us strength for the road this morning. It is definitely worth reserving in advance. I was lucky to get a bed as I only phoned on Wednesday evening. Such wonderful people who love to serve pilgrims. They could easily charge twice as much and still be full but you can tell they love what they do.

The private albergue “Ninho” in Rubiães was incredible when I stayed there back in 2018. I often think about re-walking the Portuguese Central Route and staying there again. Look them up on Google Maps and call ahead, it’s not very big.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back