• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All the way from A Coruna for the Compostella?

Louis C

Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Hi,

I am from Hong Kong. I have walked twice from Sarria to Santiago and once over the Pyrennees to Logrono.

I read from another article on the internet about Camino Ingles and got the following:

"The above map, from the Eroksi Consumer is the best map of the English routes that I could find. There are two possible starting points, A Coruña or Ferrol, on the north coast. However, as I discussed in The Way of St. James, in order to receive an official Compostela, from the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela, one has to walk at least 100 kilometers. However, as of December, 2016, the Cathedral made an exception for the Camino from A Coruña, based on the historic tradition of many pilgrims arriving at this port. One can now receive the Compostela from A Coruña, with only 75 kilometers distance. For full details, see this article."

The article reads:
"RESPUESTA DEL CABILDO DE LA CATEDRAL DE SANTIAGO A LA PETICIÓN PARA CONCEDER LA COMPOSTELA A LOS PEREGRINOS QUE VIENEN AL SEPULCRO DEL APÓSTOL SANTIAGO DESDE A CORUÑA

Jueves, 22/12/2016

Vista la petición de varias Asociaciones Extranjeras, Cofradías, la Asociación Gallega de Amigos del Camino de Santiago, así como el Concello de A Coruña y varias Instituciones jacobeas, para que se conceda la Compostela a los peregrinos que parten de la ciudad herculina en peregrinación al sepulcro del glorioso Apóstol Santiago, se acuerda, con el Vº Bº del Sr. Arzobispo, que se pueda expedir dicho documento a los siguientes peregrinos:

-Dada la tradición, históricamente documentada, de la llegada de numerosos peregrinos a través del puerto coruñés, se concede la posibilidad de obtener la Compostela a aquellos que, habiendo hecho parte del Camino en sus países o regiones de origen, hagan a pie la distancia que separa el puerto de A Coruña de la Catedral Compostelana.

-Asimismo, a los habitantes de la ciudad de A Coruña y sus alrededores que, devotionis causa, visiten los espacios jacobeos de su ciudad, y hagan el resto de la peregrinación a pie hasta el sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago.

-En lo referente a los peregrinos o caminantes que no reúnan estas condiciones, podrán recibir, sin embargo, el documento acreditativo de haber visitado la Catedral y el sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago."

The link to the wed-site is:
http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html

May you advise me if it is possible to walk just from A Coruna to Santiago and be given the Compostella. I ask this question for the sake of some lady friends who might find the way from Ferrol to Santiago too tough.

Regards,

Louis

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,

I am from Hong Kong. I have walked twice from Sarria to Santiago and once over the Pyrennees to Logrono.

I read from another article on the internet about Camino Ingles and got the following:

"The above map, from the Eroksi Consumer is the best map of the English routes that I could find. There are two possible starting points, A Coruña or Ferrol, on the north coast. However, as I discussed in The Way of St. James, in order to receive an official Compostela, from the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela, one has to walk at least 100 kilometers. However, as of December, 2016, the Cathedral made an exception for the Camino from A Coruña, based on the historic tradition of many pilgrims arriving at this port. One can now receive the Compostela from A Coruña, with only 75 kilometers distance. For full details, see this article."

The article reads:
"RESPUESTA DEL CABILDO DE LA CATEDRAL DE SANTIAGO A LA PETICIÓN PARA CONCEDER LA COMPOSTELA A LOS PEREGRINOS QUE VIENEN AL SEPULCRO DEL APÓSTOL SANTIAGO DESDE A CORUÑA

Jueves, 22/12/2016

Vista la petición de varias Asociaciones Extranjeras, Cofradías, la Asociación Gallega de Amigos del Camino de Santiago, así como el Concello de A Coruña y varias Instituciones jacobeas, para que se conceda la Compostela a los peregrinos que parten de la ciudad herculina en peregrinación al sepulcro del glorioso Apóstol Santiago, se acuerda, con el Vº Bº del Sr. Arzobispo, que se pueda expedir dicho documento a los siguientes peregrinos:

-Dada la tradición, históricamente documentada, de la llegada de numerosos peregrinos a través del puerto coruñés, se concede la posibilidad de obtener la Compostela a aquellos que, habiendo hecho parte del Camino en sus países o regiones de origen, hagan a pie la distancia que separa el puerto de A Coruña de la Catedral Compostelana.

-Asimismo, a los habitantes de la ciudad de A Coruña y sus alrededores que, devotionis causa, visiten los espacios jacobeos de su ciudad, y hagan el resto de la peregrinación a pie hasta el sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago.

-En lo referente a los peregrinos o caminantes que no reúnan estas condiciones, podrán recibir, sin embargo, el documento acreditativo de haber visitado la Catedral y el sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago."

The link to the wed-site is:
http://www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/camino-ingles.html

May you advise me if it is possible to walk just from A Coruna to Santiago and be given the Compostella. I ask this question for the sake of some lady friends who might find the way from Ferrol to Santiago too tough.

Regards,

Louis

Yes. I have the answer vfrom an earflier post in this bloque:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...rules-for-the-compostela-from-a-coruña.44759/

Many thanks.

Louis

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hate to be cynical, but probably the same type of unreliable proof of walking as for kms walked in Spain? :rolleyes:

A visit to a local church in HK with a promise to the priest that she will be walking those km walking around Stanley Park, or the islands of Lamma and/or Lantau, with a few stamps along the way, from the ferry, a restaurant, and then a visit back to the priest after she's done?

Many thanks to you Doug again. I will direct my enquiry to the Pilgrim Office.

Louis

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And be aware that the route from Coruña is not waymarked out of the city (get the CSJ guide) and basically involves 4 hours walking uphill on a forest track with no views. The route from Ferrol is much more scenic. Imho!

Many thanks to you Johnnie,

I think it is more likely that we will start from Farrol.

Regards,

Louis

I hate to be cynical, but probably the same type of unreliable proof of walking as for kms walked in Spain? :rolleyes:

A visit to a local church in HK with a promise to the priest that she will be walking those km walking around Stanley Park, or the islands of Lamma and/or Lantau, with a few stamps along the way, from the ferry, a restaurant, and then a visit back to the priest after she's done?

Dear Anemone,

Many thanks to you. We do have at least two beautiful mountain trails that run for 100 kilos. The problem is that ther is no shop or cafe along these trails and there is also no habit in Hong Kong to give people stamp marks. Those chops kept by cafes and restaurants are used to chop mark invoices and delivery notes. I think it si better for us to start from Ferrol.

Regards,

Louis

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Anemone,

The problem is that ther is no shop or cafe along these trails and there is also no habit in Hong Kong to give people stamp marks. Those chops kept by cafes and restaurants are used to chop mark invoices and delivery notes.
That's all a stamp is/has to be. They do not have to be pretty "Camino" stamps. Any business stamp, with a date added by hand, will do it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's all a stamp is/has to be. They do not have to be pretty "Camino" stamps. Any business stamp, with a date added by hand, will do it.

Dear Anemone,

These stamps that we have here do not tell location. Even if trhey do, there is no way to tell the distance of one from another. There is also the easy way to cheat by just collecting these stamps by driving a car. I think we would do it from Ferrol. Many thanks to you again.

Louis

Dear Anemone,

These stamps that we have here do not tell location. Even if trhey do, there is no way to tell the distance of one from another. There is also the easy way to cheat by just collecting these stamps by driving a car. I think we would do it from Ferrol. Many thanks to you again.

Louis
Yes, that's the name of the game. That is where your honnesty and visit to your local priest comes in. He sort of vouches formthe fact you have walked, even if you haven't. It is not unheard of to see people do the last 100km by popping in and out of cars just to collect their stamp and drive off.

Thank you for all that useful information.
I hope to Walking the Ingles from Ferrol toward 3 week in Oct.
Please could you send the phone number of the accomodation along the way....
Once again thank you....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for all that useful information.
I hope to Walking the Ingles from Ferrol toward 3 week in Oct.
Please could you send the phone number of the accomodation along the way....
Once again thank you....

Hi Susie,
There are some good resources out there where you can find accommodation for the Camino Inglés:

If you visit this website (https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates/) and scroll almost all the way to the bottom you'll find the Camino Inglés guide written by @JohnnieWalker . Phone numbers and addresses of accommodation along the way can be found in the guide.

The WisePilgrim website and phone app (http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino_ingles_from_ferrol) has accommodations and links to Booking.com listings.

And the Gronze website (https://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles) is in Spanish but also has accommodations.

Enjoy all of your planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

Ikychan, a walk along the Hong Kong trail will give you 50 kms and stages 1,3,4,7 and part of 8 are mostly under some kind of tree cover and away from the sun. Only stage 5 is a killer at this time of year and is best done from 5am. Lots of snakes on stage 7 in the drainage ditch at the moment. I've been doing 1-4, then 5-8, then 1-4 again as light training for the Primitivo, which I will start in 10 days.
The HK trail after stage 2 is also harder than anything you will find on the Ingles

Hi there, why not walk from A Coruna?
It will give you a chance to walk in your home country on a pilgrim path and then start in A Coruna.
It's a great new initiative.
You local Camino society should tell you more.
David

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back